1 Reply Latest reply on May 24, 2017 3:05 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Edison temperature problem with Servos

CarolusM

Hi!

I'm having problems with servomotors Dynamixel AX-12A and my Intel Edison. I'm powering up 11 Dynamixels and the minibreakout board with a same power line of 12V. Firstly I switch on the Intel Edison and everything works good. Then I switch on all the Dynamixels and instantly I check my Edison's temperature and it stars going up and up (from 40ºC to 70ºC in less than 10 seconds). I have already fried one Edison because of this problem....

But it is curious, because when I detect the temperature problem, even if I switch off all Dynamixels, the temperature in my Edison keeps going up, until I have to switch off it as well to avoid burn it.

This only happens when I use a common power source for all Dynamixel and minibreakout board. If I use separated power sources (12 V for Dynamixels and 4.5V for minibreakout board) everything works good and there is no increase in temperature.

What could be causing this issue? Is it possible that the servomotors were creating a kind of ripple in the power line? And in case of yes, is it possible that this ripple stays in the power line even after the servos are switched off? And can something like this to increase the Intel Edison temperature that quickly?

I hope you can help me or give me some clues, because I'm lost....

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Intel Edison temperature problem with Servos
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello CarolusM,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

I think all your assumptions may be correct, if we take into account that servomotors have an inductive element, then a current is induced in the power line even after switching them off. And if you are using 11 servomotors, the generated current adds up, creating a considerable ripple that causes the increase in the module’s temperature.

Please keep in mind that the Edison's operating temperature is of 32 to 104°F or 0 to 40°C, so avoid this kind of behavior in order to keep the device from experiencing permanent damage.

I strongly recommend you to use separate power supplies to isolate the control part – the Edison module – and the rest of the system, in this case the servomotors. Actually, it is always recommended to use this kind of setup when running “heavy” loads like servomotors.

I hope this information answers your question.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Andres V.

1 of 1 people found this helpful