5 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2017 1:29 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6CAYH no display signal

R0nd

I've just got my brand new NUC6CAYH, but when I assembled it and powered it on the monitor got no signal from it. Otherwise it seems to boot properly, I get solid blue power LED without any error flash codes, I can hear HDD spin up and down. I've tried booting without HDD, same thing. Trying to boot with no RAM gives a LED flash error code, also I can hear error beeps if I plug my headphones in. So far the unit seems functional, but there's no video output at all, no splash logo, no POST screen. I've tried two different HDMI displays (a TV and a desktop monitor) with different HDMI cables, as well as an old VGA monitor, same symptoms on each setup. Can I do something about it or is it an RMA case?

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH no display signal
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello R0nd,

I am sorry to hear that!

I would like to check on your RAM, please let me know the part number, brand and model of the sticks you are using. This will help us to check the compatibility.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH no display signal
            R0nd

So I opened a ticket and the support guy helped me figure out that the NUC doesn't support 1.5V memory modules. I swapped my RAM stick for a 1.35V one and it works okay now. Please take note when picking memory for your NUC! If you get a stick with wrong voltage it will refuse to boot without any error codes.

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYH no display signal
              N.Scott.Pearson

Actually, there is an error code. You should, in this case, see the power button LED flash three times as you power on. I believe that, if you connect headphones to the front audio jack, you can also hear the flashes as beeps as well.

For completeness, let me also say that you need to be careful to purchase SODIMMs with 4Gb/8Gb density ICs; the NUC6CAYH and NUC6CAYS do not support SODIMMs with 1Gb/2Gb density ICs. If you are unsure (this factor is often left out of external specs), check the SODIMM manufacturer's support pages or call their support line and ask them (that's what they're there for).

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH no display signal
                R0nd

I'm fairly sure it gave triple flash and beep error code only when I removed RAM completely, but not when I installed the incompatible module. Can't check it again though because I don't have the module anymore.

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYH no display signal
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

R0nd, good to hear! Hope you can enjoy your Intel® NUC.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.