4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 10:49 AM by Intel Corporation

VBAT on 80-pin accessories connector on Intel Aero Compute Board

adrianpang

We are intending to use the VBAT pin on the Compass and Telemetry port of the 80-pin accessories connector to power external ICs/boards with sensors.

We measured VBAT and realised that VBAT is not equal to VIN and instead measures 0V against GND.

How can we activate the output of VBAT to the 80-pin accessories connector? Do we need to do anything to the FPGA for it to output the VBAT?

• 1. Re: VBAT on 80-pin accessories connector on Intel Aero Compute Board
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello adrianpang,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Aero Compute Board.

I checked the Intel® Aero Compute Board – Hardware Features and Usage (https://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/453901-164636/Intel_Aero_Compute_Board_Hardware_Feature_Usage_v1.pdf) and you are right in the sense that +VBAT should be equivalent to +VIN.

I used the provided wall adapter as power supply and performed the corresponding measures, and got this values:
          •    “J3” GPS

o    Pin 1 = +VBAT = 12.20V
          o    Pin 6 = GND

•    “J4” Compass
          o    Pin 1 = GND
          o    Pin 4 = +VBAT = 12.20 V

•    “J5” Telemetry
          o    Pin 1 = GND
          o    Pin 6 = +6V    

The only value that differs from the expected is pin 6 from J5, because the documentation mentions that it should be a +5V output.

I didn’t repurposed or reconfigured anything, I just used the latest BIOS and OS version. 
          Please check your version using the following command:

aero-get-version.py

My output to the previous command is:

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.12_Prod OS_VERSION = Poky Aero (Intel Aero Linux Distro) 1.3.1 (krogoth)" AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8 FPGA_VERSION = 0xff

If you are using a different version, please follow this guide to update your compute board:
          https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-Setup (just disregard the Flashing the Flight Controller section, since it is intended for the Aero Ready to Fly Drone only).

Could you please provide a picture of how you are plugging the 80-pin flexible I/O connector?

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Andres V.
          • 2. Re: VBAT on 80-pin accessories connector on Intel Aero Compute Board
            Intel Corporation

Hello adrianpang,

I was wondering if you have any update regarding this inquiry.

Could you please provide the picture of your setup?

If you have any other question, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
            Andres V.

• 3. Re: VBAT on 80-pin accessories connector on Intel Aero Compute Board
              adrianpang

We found the problem. The 80-pin accessories connector tore along the connector, resulting in broken traces and no voltages when measuring after installation onto a custom drone. Do you know where we can buy replacement connectors?

• 4. Re: VBAT on 80-pin accessories connector on Intel Aero Compute Board
                Intel Corporation

Hello adrianpang,

In order to purchase Intel Aero Drone spare parts, please check this link https://click.intel.com/intel-aero-drone-spare-parts.html.

The available 80-pin connector can be found here http://us.yuneec.com/Aero-Drone-Sub-PCB-80-pin-FPC. It is not exactly the same that comes with the Aero Compute Board (since this one is specifically designed for the Intel Aero Ready to Fly Drone), but it is compatible and provides the same peripheral connectors (GPS, Compass, Remote Control radio receiver, and Telemetry radio). 

If you have any other question or update, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                Andres V.