1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 11:49 AM by Will_Bain

display over HDMI to VGA converter

VNMdu

I am just trying to view display through micro HDMI cable  (one end to the board and the other end to the VGA converter) + HDMI to VGA converter + VGA cable to desktop monitor and verify the visual output. With the above mentioned cables, I see no output on display unit UPON powering the board ON.

Please clarify if this combination is supported by Intel Aero board.

Is it necessary to connect to HDMI monitor only to view the output? Is HDMI to VGA display not supported?

Please clarify.

• 1. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi VNMdu,

Thank you for contacting us. We want to know why you’re using this configuration instead of the recommended one. The recommended solution to view the display is just connecting a micro HDMI end of cable to the Intel Aero Compute Board and other end of the cable to HDMI monitor. Unfortunately, I don’t have an HDMI to VGA converter so that I can test your scenario, but perhaps, other community users who have tested a similar setup can share their input.

On a side note, I’ve seen that, not specifically of the Aero, but related to HDMI, that using an adapter is much more problematic that just using a direct connection. It’s likely something similar is happening here. If possible, I’d encourage you to use the connection specified in the guide.

Regards,
          -Sergio A

• 2. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
            VNMdu

Thanks for the answer.

Managed to arrange HDMI monitor and tried connecting to it through micro HDMI to HDMI converter + HDMI to HDMI cable, but display is still not UP in TV monitor. All I see is that "No Signal" in HDMI TV monitor.

Please guide us what we are missing. It would be helpful if you could share the details of micro HDMI to HDMI cable that you are using.

Here is the pic of the setup done.AeraHDMI.png

• 3. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
              Intel Corporation

Hi VNMdu,

Of course, the cable we use to connect the Aero to the monitor is a Micro HDMI to HDMI cable. You can see this information here: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/Quickstart-Guide on the how to get to a console via HDMI section.

Let us know if this is what you were looking for.

-Sergio A

• 4. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                VNMdu

Thank you for the answer.

1. I never flashed any new image in to the board. Using the board with the default image only.

2. Can you please get me the specification of micro HDMI to HDMI cable ( HDMI standard 2.0? & bandwidth) that is being supported? It would be helpful if you could get me the link for the specification.

Note: Board is up as I am able to log in to the board via SSH - HDMI display only not successful.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                  Intel Corporation

I looked online for the cable specifications, but couldn’t find the specifications of the cable I use. The cable I use is a “Rankie hdmi to micro hdmi”, in case you want to look it up. You can see more information in the first several search results if you Google “Rankie hdmi to micro hdmi". I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,
                  -Sergio A

• 6. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                    VNMdu

Have ordered micro HDMI cable that supports 1.4b std. Shall verify with it. Do I need HDMI monitor for updating the image?

• 7. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                      Intel Corporation

Hi VNMdu,

The HDMI monitor is listed as a hardware prerequisite. You can see more information on the requisites and the flashing procedure in the “Flash Intel Aero Image” here: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/Quickstart-Guide .

Let us know your results after receiving the micro HDMI cable.

-Sergio A

• 8. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                        VNMdu

From the given link, I understand that HDMI monitor is not required.

Choice 1: Connect a USB key only

• OTG USB cable to aero (you can reuse an old USB2 OTG cable, but if you're buying a new one pick a USB3 - check the cable reference notes)
                        • USB key to OTG USB cable

Please confirm.

I am planning to upgrade BIOS and OS version.

• 9. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                          VNMdu

aero-update-reboot.py script is not found in our board. So we need to follow the old procedure to upgrade?

• 10. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                            Intel Corporation

Hi VNMdu,

We want to clarify our previous reply. The HDMI monitor is required if you want to update the flash the image locally. This is because you’d need to type some commands and see the monitor’s output. 

The “Choice 1: Connect a USB key only” will flash the system remotely. This means that you can do it using ssh. Using this method an HDMI monitor is not required, however, you’d still need to use a computer to connect remotely to the Aero. I hope I’ve clarified this misunderstanding.

In regards to your second question, you should be able to use aero-reboot-update.py if you’ve done the previous steps in the guide. The issue may be related to the OS version you’re using. Use aero-get-version.py and let us know the output.

Regards,
                            -Sergio A

• 11. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                              VNMdu

aero-get-version.py - This script is not found in our board.

02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

Reg. choice1 : "The “Choice 1: Connect a USB key only” (No HDMI monitor)

We will login (operate commands) to the board using SSH connection and flash images (.rpm and .iso) from USB connected to USB OTG.

This is what we are going to follow. Thanks.

• 12. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                                Intel Corporation

Go ahead and follow the instructions on the guide to flash the BIOS and OS. Once the BIOS is flashed, you should be able to use aero-get-version.py.

Keep us updated on your progress.

-Sergio A

• 13. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                                  VNMdu

Hi,

I was able to upgrade BIOS of 1.3.1 version successfully.

When I was updating .iso image by following the approach detailed at 02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

I got below error message.

mkdir -p /tmp/{iso,newroot}

mount -o ro /dev/sda1 /tmp/iso

mount -o loop,ro /tmp/iso/rootfs.img /tmp/newroot

/tmp/newroot/usr/sbin/aero-reboot-update.py

File "/tmp/newroot/usr/sbin/aero-reboot-update.py", line 21 in <module>

import argparse

ImportError: No module named argparse

sh-4.3#

What should we do now?

• 14. Re: display over HDMI to VGA converter
                                    Intel Corporation

Hi 

I believe those steps are not necessary at this point. According to the guide, these commands should be used if you have firmware v1.2 or older. Since you’re using v1.3.1, there’s no need to use those commands, but rather aero-reboot-update.py
                                    After reboot, you should be greeted with the new version. Please send us the output of the command aero-get-version.py to confirm the BIOS was properly flashed.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,
                                    -Sergio A

1 2 Previous Next