Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

my raid 5 failed, but only one disk is broken. How to bring it to degraded, how to restore?

MBirk1
Beginner

Hi,

in my Raid 5, one of the four 4 disks failed. I changed the disk to a new one (identical features) but I am now unable to restore the raid, due to its failed state.

The new disk is shown as non-raid at boot up.

How can I bring the IRS to recognize the degraded state, how can I start the recovery procedure?

In the picture you see the set up. Raid 5 "Infinity" with 4 disks, one failed. The new Disk is listed before the ROM Drive.

The raid is not accessible in Windows anymore, although only one disk failed. Which confuses me, the raid should still be readable shouldn't it?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello mbram,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues to rebuild your RAID 5.

Can you please provide the following information to better assist you?
  1. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/000006351.html System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
  2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*
    1. Download the utility.
    2. Run the exe and select 'Scan'.
    3. Save and include as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
MBirk1
Beginner

Thanks Juan V.

I attached the documents to the original post.

Hoping for your help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi mbram,

Thank you for the information.

After checking the reports you provided, I found you have an Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 board. The Intel® RST version that supports Windows® 10, does not support the chipset installed on the motherboard, in addition to this, Asrock offers Intel® RST drivers up to Windows® 8.1.

I would recommend installing a supported operating system (Windows® 8.1) so then you can use the Intel® RST without any compatibility issues.

I hope this information helps.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
MBirk1
Beginner

Hi Juan V.

So just to clear what you wrote: if I install a supported system, Win7 for example. Intel RST would be supported, right? But I have no chance of recovering my data with that new system then, right?

If this is the case, thanks I guess.

But that does not really solve my problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi mbram,

Correct, that's based on the Asrock support site for your motherboard.

You can also try pressing Ctrl+I during POST to open the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000006808.html RAID Option ROM and check the RAID 5 status, if it is degraded or normal, you can rebuild the RAID and most likely recover the data, if it is failed, you will have to create the RAID again.

Per the screenshots you provided, the OS is on a different drive (not in a RAID volume), so you have the opportunity to rebuild the RAID (depending on the status).

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
MBirk1
Beginner

Hi Juan V.

Sadly the state at boot up is failed. But I will try it anyhow.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi mbram,

I am sorry to hear that.

Please let me know if you know further assistance or if this thread can be closed.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos