4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2017 11:45 AM by Intel Corporation

RST and OS reset

Igor.Alod

Hi, everyone!

I my home lab I've got few PC with mainboards with z77, p67, x58 chipsets.

On half of them RST RAID1 is installed and on other half is OS software RAID1 and RAID0.

My main development PC has 2 "WD black" with 2 partitions each. Half of these HDD is in RAID0, others is in RAID1. All RAID's is software. And with this configuration i've encoured with some nonrecovered OS freezes (Graphic driver error) with the only solution to hardware reset the PC. After such a reset RAID1 is in inconsistent state and RAID0 is OK. I really don't understand this behaviour, but the question is What should I expect from hardware reset of the system, based on RST? Would it broke RST RAID1 and RST RAID0 or they could be break only in some special cases?

• 1. Re: RST and OS reset
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Igor.Alod,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

When you said a hardware reset you mean that you reset the RAID 1 to non-RAID from the Crtl-I BIOS?

When you have the RAID 1 and RAID 0 set up, did you try installing to the latest BIOS version on your system?

What is your system model?

Are your drivers up to date, chipset driver graphics driver etc?

Please let me know.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 2. Re: RST and OS reset
            Igor.Alod

No, hardware reset mean reset of PC with pressing  "reset" or holding "power on" button.

question is : What should I expect in case of power off a PC with configured RAID1 ( on RST P67 and ets. chipsets) without usual OS shutdown. Would RAID1 be in inconsistent state?

• 3. Re: RST and OS reset
              Intel Corporation

Thank you for clarifying on that Igor.Alod.

In this case, if you reset the PC or if you did a hard reset of your system your RAID 1 still should work as normal, however, the inconsistent that you have with the RAID 1 may be that is degraded when you hard reset the system boot up too fast and the hard drive does not have enough time to start spinning up. You can try to delay the boot time in the BIOS or try with a BIOS update on your system if there is a new version available from your computer manufacturer.

I can see that this issue you have is similar to the one reported here:
              https://communities.intel.com/thread/21832
              Post 5 shows a solution for it.

Please let me know how it goes.

Ivan U.

• 4. Re: RST and OS reset
                Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.