3 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2017 2:53 PM by Intel Corporation

Augmenting GPIO pins.

bbdash

I am developing a project which requires more than 8-9 stepper and servo motors interface along with UI interfacing. So I would be requiring extra GPIO pins other than provided in the Arduino Expansion Edison Board. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Augmenting GPIO pins.
          SpiderKenny

Hi bbdash

Well, it depends whether you want to buy something off-the-shelf or build something yourself.

If you could be a little more specific as to how many stepper drivers, how many servo controls, and what kind of User interface you need, then we'll be able to help you.

• 2. Re: Augmenting GPIO pins.
            bbdash

Well,I will be needing 11 DC motors, 2 Servo motors, 1 stepper motor along with an RFID module interface.The machine UI can be done by IOT; so thats not an issue anymore. I just need to attach the drivers of the above said prime-movers with an Arduino Expansion Edison board.

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Augmenting GPIO pins.
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi bbdash,

Thank you for your patience. We’ve been reviewing your case and the best alternative is using an I/O expander. Most of these expanders are based on I2C, which will allow you to use up to 16 GPIOs. One of the most popular expanders that I’ve seen is the MCP23017. Even though, there’s not a complete example of how to use this chip, the shield testing report has some guidance on how to run an example that uses an MCP23017 library.

The Shield Testing Report can be found here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020775.html 

I hope you find this information useful. Let us know your results.

-Sergio A