3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 9:36 AM by Intel Corporation

I am having an issue where I am unable to update the Intel Chipset Generic Drivers.

LaRose

I am trying to update the Intel drivers on my computer.  The Intel Driver Updater Utility 2.7.2 says to update the generic drivers for the Chipset.  When I do this, I receive "Unknown error." and cannot continue.  Please see the attachments for system information and error logs.  I also manually downloaded the Chipset 10.1.1.42 and had the same result.

THANK YOU in advance.

• 1. Re: I am having an issue where I am unable to update the Intel Chipset Generic Drivers.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello LaRose,

I understand you are trying to install chipset driver on your computer, but the installation fails.

What happens is that Acer* has validated up to Windows 7* for your Acer* Aspire M3900 computer so there are no drivers available for newer operating systems including Windows 10*.  This is a compatibility issue between the operating system and the hardware of the computer.

If your computer is currently working fine there is no need to update any driver.  If you are having issues with Windows 10* the best option would be reinstalling the operating system that came with the computer.  You can reinstall the operating system using the Acer* Recovery Media.  This link will show you how to get them https://us-store.acer.com/erecovery/rcd/

Regards,
          Fred D.

• 2. Re: I am having an issue where I am unable to update the Intel Chipset Generic Drivers.
            LaRose

Thank you very much.  I have been wondering if I should go back to Windows 7.  For most things my system works fine but there are a few weird things that cause problems randomly which is why I was checking for out dated drivers.

The only thing I have left to say is to fix the auto updater and the webpage search to not pull up driver sets that don't work for a given computer setup.  I am not sure if the drivers the auto updater were for Windows 10 or not, but the ones I found on the webpage search for my computer type were said to be Windows 10 compatible.  Thus my confusion on this whole thing.  If my specific Acer modal is not Windows 10 compatible, then at the very least the webpage search should state that and not give a Windows 10 option.

Thank you again.

• 3. Re: I am having an issue where I am unable to update the Intel Chipset Generic Drivers.
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello LaRose,

Thanks for the feedback you are providing to us.

Bear in mind that the Intel Driver Update Utility has been mainly designed for Intel motherboards so we cannot guarantee it will work fine on every OEM system.  We always recommend using the update utility each computer manufacturer offers for their systems.

Regards,
              Fred D.