7 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 9:31 AM by Intel Corporation

Wrong Display Resolution with i7-7700T (630 Graphics) and NEC EA274WMi

pablolies

I just finished a build around an i7-7700T. Standard stuff with an MSI H270M MB.

But after installing Windows 10 Pro, try as I may I can not do anything to change the display resolution away from 1920x1080. My display supports 2560x1440. The HD630 graphics should easily do that.

I updated all the drivers. I asked Windows to display resolution modes my hardware doesn't support. I went into the Intel Graphics Control Panel and tried to define a custom resolution, but it then tells me it "exceeds bandwidth".

I am stuck. Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: Wrong Display Resolution with i7-7700T (630 Graphics) and NEC EA274WMi
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello pablolies,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues to set up 2560x1440 resolution.

This issue could be related to the video connection you are using. According to your motherboard's specifications (page 15), the max resolution supported when using the DVI-D port is 1920x1200@60Hz, then this would be a motherboard's limitation.

If you are not using the DVI-D to port, please provide the following information to better assist you:

• Video connection you are using:
          • The part number of the cable being used:
          • Are you using any video adapter? If yes, please provide the part number.
          I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
          Juan V.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Wrong Display Resolution with i7-7700T (630 Graphics) and NEC EA274WMi
            pablolies

Thank you - and ouch you are correct. It never occurred to me that in 2017 and with existing capabilities there would still be such a basic limitation on a motherboard.

I will connect things with HDMI and see if the issue thereby resolves itself... I know all the associated cables support the Dual DVI-D resolution because I had it working at full resolution before with the exact same setup. So let's try HDMI.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Wrong Display Resolution with i7-7700T (630 Graphics) and NEC EA274WMi
              Intel Corporation

Hi pablolies,

You are welcome. Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
              Juan V.

• 4. Re: Wrong Display Resolution with i7-7700T (630 Graphics) and NEC EA274WMi
                pablolies

Thank you Juan -

I connected it via HDMI and indeed it is working flawlessly at full resolution.

Next step is to look for a motherboard that supports higher resolution for integrated graphics - seems the capabilities of HD630 have leapfrogged mobo's vendors capabilities... even the HDMI resolution on my board is below what the i7-7700 is capable of! I was about to buy a monitor with even higher resolution, but shall hold back for a little while.

• 5. Re: Wrong Display Resolution with i7-7700T (630 Graphics) and NEC EA274WMi
                  Intel Corporation

Hi pablolies,

Thank you for letting me know that the HDMI worked. 

There are motherboards that support the full capabilities of Intel® HD Graphics 630 from your processor (i.e.: the Asus Strix Z270E Gaming, to name only one), it will just take time from your side to research this.

Regards,
                  Juan V.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Wrong Display Resolution with i7-7700T (630 Graphics) and NEC EA274WMi
                    pablolies

Based on an extensive search, I think many users are struggling with this issue - simple and straight-forward as the answer/solution is.

Even the board you suggested has DVI maxing out at 1080. The HDMI/DP alternatives of course go -as you suggest- much higher. This probably signals an industry move wide away from DVI as an HD+ interface that honestly I haven't seen discussed. Other than the lack of education (seems vendors should be evangelizing "forget DVI, embrace HDMI, and this is why ...") I am totally OK with it, I just wasn't aware of it. I am sure there are very good cost or technical reasons for it, I just hadn't encountered them, nor was I expecting my DVI cable (which was working at full resolution with a lowly GT440 graphics card on the side) to suddenly not work in an HD630 setting.

And it's all *fine*, I just think more user education for us few remaining system builders is required. :-) I know the industry has turned, and probably it's mostly gamers that build systems, and of course they use high powered graphics cards. I think that maybe some outreach for those of us who obliviously build silent systems and go for the i7-7700T stuff would appreciate a straight forward "Keep in mind most motherboards only support higher integrated graphics resolutions for HDMI and DisplayPort interfaces" or so.

It's not a complaint - it's a suggestion. I thank you very much for your prompt reply, you saved me a lot of time! Thanks Juan! You rock!

• 7. Re: Wrong Display Resolution with i7-7700T (630 Graphics) and NEC EA274WMi
                      Intel Corporation

Hi pablolies,

You are welcome.

Thank you for sharing your comments.

Best Regards,
                      Juan V.