14 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2017 7:28 PM by chorong761

NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS

JGAN

Just updated my NUC7I5BNH to BIOS 0046 and the LED ring stopped working when I changed the settings. I get no light whatsoever. Anyone else having this problem?

• 1. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
          N.Scott.Pearson

I have NUC7i7BNH with BIOS 46 installed. The Power Button and Ring LEDs all work as expected. I suggest that you go into BIOS Setup and verify all settings. In fact, I always suggest that, after updating the BIOS, you use the F9 key to reset the BIOS configuration to defaults. You can then modify it to the custom LED configuration that you desire.

...S

• 2. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much to for the information provided before.

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

I hope the information posted previously was useful for you.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards
            Alberto R

• 3. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
              Listless

Hello. With my NUC7i3 is the same, update to Ver. 0046 and reset to defaults but the LED is no longer working.

• 4. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                Perus

Hi!

I had the same thing with the 0046 BIOS on the NUC7i3 and it seems that this BIOS introduces some new default settings for the LED ring which won't lit up until you actually change the settings in BIOS.

This article is helpful: Power Button LED and Ring LED Settings

//Per

• 5. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                  marjo

I also upgraded and now theres orange light in hibernate mode before it was off. Is this correct?

• 6. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                    Kodi-NUC

My LED Ring stopped working too. I use NUC7i3BNH with BIOS 46 and both LED just work with HDD Indicator. I set default settings but it don´t work with POWER Indicator. I have downgrade to BIOS 45 and  it works fine now .

• 7. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                      Intel Corporation

Hi: I just wanted to let you know that I tried to replicate this behavior of the NUC in our lab, and after I installed BIOS version 0046 the LED lights for power and HDD activity worked just fine, I even changed the colors of them and there was no problem at all. I also did the same with the Intel® NUC7i7BNH, installed BIOS 0046 and it worked just fine as well.

Remember that the BIOS update is done to fix problems with the NUC, so, as mentioned before, as a workaround you can always go back to version 0045 to fix the problem.

Please let me know if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                      Alberto R

• 8. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                        marjo

it worked here also after changing settings in bios again. A little confusing the settings, but had the bios glossary on the phone.

• 9. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                          lw1948

Hello JGAN

You can control Power Button and Ring led behavior with BIOS settings in following way:

1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.

2.  Go to Advanced > Power.

3. In the Secondary Power Settings pane, you can:

- Change the Button LED brightness, blink/fade behavior, and color.

In order to use Power button LED to show the power status:

• Set the Button LED to Power State Indicator
                          • S0 Indicator Brightness set to 50% or 100% as you desire
                          • S0 Indicator Blinking/Fade I would advise set to Always On
                          • S0 Indicator color – I like Blue

If you want your Power button LED to indicate Sleeping state set:

• S3 Indicator Brightness to 50% or 100% (as you prefer)
                          • S3 Blinking/Fade – I like 1Hz (will blink in 1Hz frequency)
                          • S3 Indicator color – Amber
                          • S3 State Indicator – Blink

Of course, the above settings are my preference and you can choose from other options in Bios.

- Change the settings for Ring LED to show the HDD activity.

• Ring LED you shall set to HDD Activity Light and in addition check that in Advanced > Devices the HDD Activity LED is checked.

4. After making any changes to the LED settings, press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

Hope this will answer your question

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                            N.Scott.Pearson

All,

After any BIOS update, regardless of the type or method that I used to initiate it, I always (always!) go into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) and,

1. Use F9 (followed by Y) to set the BIOS configuration to defaults.
                            2. Make any changes that are required for my hardware configuration (typically just verify/set boot order) and my personal preferences (typically just disabling NUMLOCK, but, for the AY and BN NUCs, I also change the LED programming).
                            3. Use F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup with a configuration save.

Now, as I said earlier, upgrading to BIOS 46 did not cause any issues for me. As I noted in the process above, however, I do change the LED programming. I use the Ring LED to indicate power state and the Power Button LED to indicate disk access (Why? Because I find that using the Ring LED for disk access is too distracting). It is entirely possible that there is an issue with LED operation after the BIOS update - an issue that exists until you actually change the programming - but I wouldn't have seen this issue because of the process I follow.

Bottom line, if you updated the BIOS and the LEDs are acting strange, go in and change the programming and this will likely fix it. If you actually like the defaults, you can go back in afterwards and change them back. At the meantime, I hope that Intel looks at this report and, if there is an issue, it is corrected.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 11. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                              JGAN

Resetting did not help and actually made Windows unbootable. I ended up flashing the BIOS again from the boot menu with a USB drive and it works fine now.

• 12. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                                N.Scott.Pearson

If you reset and then couldn't boot windows, this means that the settings you ended up with (the defaults plus any changes that you made subsequently) were incompatible with your windows installation. This seems to have been reset by the reflash of the BIOS...

...S

• 13. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                                  Intel Corporation

Thank you very much to and to for the suggestions posted on this thread.

Thank you for providing those results. Perfect, it is great to hear that after the BIOS update the NUC is working fine and there is no problem with the LED anymore.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,
                                  Alberto R

• 14. Re: NUC7I5BNH LED ring does not work after updating BIOS
                                    chorong761

I have the i3 model and I got the same issue after updating the bios. What I did to get the

LEDs back was disconnecting the power and left it there for an hour, after that the led came back when I  turned it back on.