5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 10:47 AM by Intel Corporation

Development board and interference by usb 3.0

wirtex

First of all, greet the community.

We are developing a project with the "intel joule 570x" with the development kit. When connecting a device to usb 3.0 the board emits interference that causes loss of gps and RF signal.

In our project we have used an intel realsense r200 camera. It works fine but the problem that the system needs a GPS and when connecting the joule and connecting the camera the GPS loses much accuracy or the whole signal. The GPS is about 30 cm from the joule and about 20 from the camera.

We have tested:

The joule is inside a metal shield and the camera is outside.
      Shield the USB cable.
      Shield the connector.
      Ferrite filters in the usb.

And the results are not very good.

We have also replaced the camera with a 3.0 usb hard drive and the problem with the interference persists.

The problem is that it is imperative to keep the GPS signal totally intact. The gps is not connected to the joule.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any solution?

Thank you.

PS: Sorry for my English, not very good.

• 1. Re: Development board and interference by usb 3.0
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi wirtex,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule™ Platform.

It's really strange that your USB port is generating this kind of interference to your GPS. Please let us investigate this issue and we will get back to you as soon as we have some useful information.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
          -Jose P.

• 2. Re: Development board and interference by usb 3.0
            Intel Corporation

Hi wirtex,

Thanks for your patience.

Since the interference is with the GPS module, it seems that this is a design issue. Unfortunately, guidance around designing solutions is out of the scope of the support, maybe other users might be able to share their feedback with you. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
            -Jose P.

• 3. Re: Development board and interference by usb 3.0
              fnoop

Hi, I had the same problem:

Massive USB3 EMI

It's basically a problem inherent with USB3 - the very fast data clock emits a lot of EMI across wide areas of high frequency spectrum when a lot of data is being passed across the bus, as with the realsense cameras.  After some trial and error, I have managed to get a working GPS by:

a) getting a much better GPS - I moved to a ProfiCNC/Hex Here GPS unit which is multi-constellation and has very good filtering and ground plane.

b) Not only shielding the cable but more importantly the connectors.  It seems to be the actual connectors at each end of the cable which is where most of the EMI is leaking.  I created little cardboard boxes to go around each cable connector lined with copper, and made sure they completely covered the connector, mating with the 3d printed case.

Now I get enough GPS signal to fly.  It's not perfect - there is still increased noise on the GPS and I get some GPS speed errors.  I've got some ferrite chokes coming which I hope to help a bit more.

It would also be worth creating a large shielded GPS ground plane, attached to the existing ground plane, which will probably help a lot.

Basically, the Joule and the Realsense is not suitable for use on a UAV with GPS, without a lot of extra work.  If you look at Intel's RTF quad which comes with the Aero board and the R200, they use the smaller (proprietary?) USB3 connector which is shielded all the way along but crucially fully shielded on the much smaller connectors.

• 4. Re: Development board and interference by usb 3.0
                wirtex

Thank you very much for your detail response. It's a great help. I'll try it.

Best regards

• 5. Re: Development board and interference by usb 3.0
                  Intel Corporation

Hi fnoop,

Thanks for sharing your feedback! It will be really useful for other users trying to develop a UAV with the Joule and a Realsense camera.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
                  -Jose P.