1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 12:29 PM by Intel Corporation

Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh

brit

I have just purchased a new NUC6i5SYH kit and installed:

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO m.2;

Kingston 8GB HyperX DDR4

I now wish to start up the NUC to check the BIOS version, and then update as necessary before installing the OS. I am not sure whether I will use Windows 10, or LINUX at this stage, so want to update BIOS without OS.

This might sound like a total Newbie question, but how can I communicate with the NUC. I tried using a wireless Keyboard and mouse, but neither was recognised, so there was no way that I could "press F2" to enter BIOS.

Unfortunately I do not have access, at present, to a wired keyboard and mouse so cannot try that, but I did seem to remember reading somewhere that wireless can be used?

Any help on way to proceed would most welcome and appreciated.

• 1. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In order to better assist you, I just wanted to confirm, what is the model of the keyboard and mouse?
          Are you using a wireless connection with a USB receiver or are you using Bluetooth?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
            brit

Hi Alberto: Many thanks, the Keyboard I have been trying to use is a Logitech K340, and the mouse is also a Logitech, a  M310, using a USB receiver.

I also have a Logitech Keyboard K520 and M705 mouse which I use with my main PC, also with USB receiver. I must admit that I did not try this combination with the NUC, but I know that the K340 and M310 combination work, as I have recently used them on another system!

• 3. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
              brit

Hi again Alberto, many apologies. I have just tried the keyboard (K520) and mouse (M705) and that works perfectly! Sorry for wasting your time.

Now I will need to update the BIOS from 0051 to 0060. Have you any advice on the best way to achieve this? I am tempted by the F7 BIOS method as it doesn't, as I understand it, require a bootable USB stick but just a plain formatted stick. Sorry about the newbie questions but I am new to this and do not want to make a potentially serious mistake and muck up, what is to me an expensive piece of kit! I have watched the Intel video on the Installation, and whilst in seems straightforward, I am still a little nervous!

• 4. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                Intel Corporation

Hi : Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

No problem at all, we are here to help. Perfect, it is great to hear that the keyboard and mouse are working now. Yes, please make sure that the USB device is formatted in FAT32 and that the .BIO file is the only file saved on it. Just in case on the link below you will find the instructions of how to do the BIOS update with the F7 method and the .BIO file needed for 0060:
                http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005850.html
                https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26731/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89190

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto R

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                  brit

Thanks very much Roberto, very helpful response for me, and gives me more confidence to proceed  .

Just one point of clarification please. On your first attachment: F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC I am a little confused by point 4. where it says "Shut down the target computer." as per:

"3.Plug the USB device into a USB port of the target computer.

4. Shut down the target computer.

5. During boot, when the F7 prompt is displayed, press F7 to enter the BIOS Flash Update tool"

It was my understanding that the NUC (target Computer) is off when plugging in the USB device (at point 3.) and then switched on to reach the boot prompt page (showing F2, F7, etc). So shouldn't the sequence be:

3.Plug the USB device into a USB port of the target computer.

4. Turn on the target computer.

5. During boot, when the F7 prompt is displayed, press F7 to enter the BIOS Flash Update tool"

Am I missing something?

• 6. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                    lw1948

You are right. Since your NUC is without Operating System yet, and you have prepared your USB with the new bios version on other PC, you will use the second sequence:

3.Plug the USB device into a USB port of the target computer.

4. Turn on the target computer.

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                      Intel Corporation

Thank you very much to for the comments above.

: You are correct, it should be: Turn on the target computer.

Regards,
                      Alberto R

• 8. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                        brit

Thanks to both lw1948 & Alberto for confirming my thoughts on the procedure. I will update the BIOS later today and hopefully all will go well .

All the best

David

• 9. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                          brit

Not too sure what I am doing wrong!

I set up the NUC and powered on to the BOOT screen and pressed F2 just to check that all was running, and to verify the existing BIOS Version (0051). Pressed F10 to save and exit and turned off NUC. Formatted a USB Drive to FAT32, as advised above, and downloaded the new BIOS as per the update instructions - I enclose a Screenshot of what was saved just in case something is wrong here!

Inserted the USB Drive into a front USB port on the NUC and re booted it. Et voila, nothing happened - no boot up screen appeared for me to Press F7, just a blank screen and panic for me . I turned off NUC and removed the USB Drive, turned back on and thankfully the BOOT screen reappeared, pressed F2 and the BIOS screen appeared - so no damage!

Are there any obvious issues here that are stopping the Update process? I am loathe to try again in case of damaging the NUC.

Many thanks

David

• 10. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                            Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for providing that information.

To answer your question, no, there are no known issues that will cause the BIOS update to stop. However, for testing purposes, if you have the option to use a different USB flash drive you can always try that. Now, just to confirm, if you connect the USB device and restart the NUC, without pressing the “F” keys, are you able to see something on the monitor?

You are following the steps correctly, so the problem could be the USB flash drive.

Please let me know the results of trying that.

Regards,
                            Alberto R

• 11. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                              brit

Hi Alberto,

Many thanks for your response. We are going to be away, as from tomorrow morning, and not back until 8 June so will not have an opportunity to try a different USB drive until I get back home.

As soon as I have the chance, on our return, I will re try using a different USB drive.

Regards

David

• 12. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                                Intel Corporation

Hi : You are welcome. Thank you very much for providing those updates, we appreciate that.

No problem at all, take your time, once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Regards,
                                Alberto R

• 13. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                                  Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to check if you were able to test the NUC with a different USB drive and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,
                                  Alberto R

• 14. Re: Communicating with a new Intel NUC6i5syh
                                    brit

Hi Alberto,

Not been able to retry a different USB drive yet. We had a family crisis on our return from holiday - my 88 year old Mother-in-Law has been rushed into Hospital - so mind on other matters at present! Will re engage with the NUC building once all has settled down. I note however that the BIOS has a further update - from SY0060 to SY0061, so will need to flash another USB anyway!

Regards

David

1 2 Previous Next