4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 8:36 AM by takanokage

Unresolved inclusion: <iostream>

takanokage

Intel System Studio can't find/does not recognize the std C++ headers.

Error: Unresolved inclusion: <iostream>.

Any ideas?

A few days ago I decided to dust off my old Edison and try an OpenCV project on it.

I diligently got the latest image and the latest ISS. (I'm not going to go into the details of how ISS prerequisites messed up my VPN settings.)

First thing I tried was a simple project: "Hello World C++ Project" -> NOT WORKING.

• 1. Re: Unresolved inclusion: <iostream>
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello takanokage,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

That error message is strange, in the sense that the iostream is a standard library that is included during the flashing process. And I was able to run the sample codes right after flashing the board and installing the latest Intel System Studio IoT Edition. 

I’m assuming you are following this guide in order to install ISS IoT Edition: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-system-studio-iot-edition-guide-for-c

Did you experience any issue or got an error message while performing the corresponding installation? 

Could you please manually flash the latest Yocto image? The steps to do so are in the following link:

Flashing the firmware on a system with Windows* (manual process)
          https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-firmware-on-your-intel-edison-board-windows 

Also, please update and synchronize the board packages:

Updating and synchronizing board packages
          https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/705853 

I’ll be waiting for your response.

If you have any other question or update, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Andres V.

• 2. Re: Unresolved inclusion: <iostream>
            takanokage

Thank you Andres, that seemed to do the trick, in particular updating the packages.

Unfortunately the ISS would still not build the HelloWorld project even though now it recognizes the headers.

I should've mentioned that I am using a custom (SparkFun) base board and not the original Galileo or Intel base board. Could that play a role?

Anyway, I abandoned the C++ path and went with python-opencv. Got it to work in "no-time" (at least much less then the C++ path).

One last question if I may take advantage of your expertise: What do I need to do to convince python OpenCV to write an output video file to the disk. I am successfully capturing frames from a webcam and writing them as images to the disk but writing to a video file silently fails regardless of the fourcc codec name I tried..

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Unresolved inclusion: <iostream>
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello takanokage,

I’m glad to hear that you solved the issue you were experiencing by updating the packages.

The custom base board may bring incompatibility issues, but since I don’t have access to one of those boards I can’t confirm that.

The OpenCV-Python inquiry is out of the scope of this technical support team. Having said that, you may want to check this link http://www.pyimagesearch.com/2016/02/22/writing-to-video-with-opencv/, I haven’t tried it myself, and the code may need to be edited (since the author uses a Raspberry Pi camera) but it seems like a good starting point. 

Have a nice day.

Regards,
              Andres V.

• 4. Re: Unresolved inclusion: <iostream>
                takanokage

Thank you, I'm already familiar with OpenCV.

One hypothesis is that the OpenCV libraries available on the Intel Edison repo might have been built without ffmpeg (that is without encoding capapbilities).

That being said I solved my problem by capturing frame-by-frame images to the disk and then using another tool (avconv) to convert a series of images to a video file.

Thanks again!