13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 4:01 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8

Michael_N

I have a very unusual issue with the Daylight Savings Time operation of the RTC in the ICH8.

On April 2, 2017 at 2 am, several boards using Intel chipset ICH8 jumped 1 hour ahead.

We could not reproduce in the lab at first, but after several attempts, it did occur, then kept occurring every time we ran past 2am on 4/2/2017.

We found there was a bug in our software that was always setting Bit 0 (DSE) of register B of the RTC.

Turning this bit off disables the DST shift on the units that it was occurring.

Now, the question is: why did it not happen on all units?  Is there something else that would prevent DST when it is enabled?

And, why does it only do the "spring ahead" and not the "fall back" adjustment?

To get even weirder, the same bug that always enabled DST was also in an older product with intel 486 and MC146818.  Even though DST was always enabled, it never did DST adjustments (not on 1st or last Sunday in April or any other date tested).  Is there something else that disables DST even though Reg B of the 146818 enables it?

• 1. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Michael_N,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Can you please provide the model number of the boards that had this issue?
          Please also provide the OS and BIOS version for each one.

This because this setting is only related to the CMOS, BIOS and OS.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
          Juan V

• 2. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
            Michael_N

New(er) board - Advantech PCM-9562 with AMI BIOS QNX 6.5 OS.

Old board - Ampro Littleboard 486 QNX 6.2 OS.

In both cases, the OS desktop is not used, so only the application is used to set the clock.

The BIOS does not have a setting for DST, only the time.  It is used initially to configure the board, but after that, only the application changes the time.

The application directly accesses the MC146818/ICH8 registers.  It also calls the OS function to set the system time.

clock_settime(CLOCK_REALTIME, &systime);    // Update QNX system time
            updateCMOSClock(new_time);  

// Update CMOS set up

where updateCMOSClock does OUTs to the various registers include REG B.

• 3. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
              N.Scott.Pearson

The real-time clock ICs and (later) chipsets implemented a static "spring forward" on the first Sunday in April (one second after 1:59:58 AM, the time changed to 3:00:00 AM) and a "fall backward" on the last Sunday in October (one second after the time reaches 1:59:59 AM for the first time that day, it switches to 1:00:00 AM). Why you were seeing only the "spring forward" occurring I do not understand; that configuration bit was certainly supposed to cause both to occur. Perhaps were you looking for the change to occur on the wrong date? Regardless, I sent an email to some old f@rt BIOS engineers to see if they have any insights into this (if they respond with anything, I will update it here).

It is certainly true that most of the support for daylight savings time has shifted into the O/S (runtime) environment. This was predicated by the fact that (no surprise!) the world couldn't continue to agree on when the "spring forward" and "fall backward" should occur. It became so complicated - and, over time, had to change - that it because necessary to implement it in the O/S, where knowledge of Time Zone and Country (and even State, where necessary) were available and also so that it could be modified if folks change their minds yet again. See these pages for an indication of how complicated it has gotten: Wikipedia: Daylight saving time by country and Wikipedia: Daylight saving time in the United States).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
                Michael_N

Thanks for the information.  Yes, DST is complicated.  We were not intentionally enabling it in the ICH8 or MC146818 - a code bug where the 12/24 hour bit was defined as "1" for b1 instead of "2".

Yes, strange it was not doing "fall back". We tried many dates  - first Sunday in April, last Sunday in October, and also the original dates from the MC146818 as well as many others.  We tried multiple years 2016 and 2017.  "Fall back" is trickier since it only is supposed to work the first time for that day, so somehow the chip needs to keep track of that, but letting it run from before midnight it did not occur.

It is also strange it was not occurring on all PCBs even though all were running the same software, and that on a board where it was not occurring, after letting it run a couple days from March 30 to April 2, it did start occurring, and then was repeatable multiple times setting it to 4/2/17 1:58 am.

I'm not sure if it is BIOS or chip.  I broke into the BIOS on boot and watched it update from 1:59 to 3:00.

• 5. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
                  N.Scott.Pearson

The BIOS engineers that responded to my query (so far) didn't remember there being any issues with the RTC hardware. Suffice it to say, none of them remember ever using this daylight savings feature. Of course, the era that would have used this feature was way, way back and memories are growing vague (remember, we're talking old f@rts here). Stubbornly curious, I hauled out my old Programmer's PC Sourcebook, Norton bibles, an original IBM PC/AT Technical Reference (yes, I still have it) and even my Phoenix and AMI BIOS Reference manuals. There was nothing in any of them regarding this feature...

...S

• 6. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
                    Michael_N

Thanks for looking. I am one of those old guys.  I also pulled out my Norton book, MSDOS reference, etc.  Unfortunately, I tossed out my original BIOS listing a few years ago. There has to be some weird interaction with QNX OS and the RTC, either timing or uninitialized variable, or some sticky bit inside the ICH8 for determining when to do the jump or not.  I did eventually get the "fall back" case to happen.

• 7. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
                      Intel Corporation

Hi Michael_N,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Best Regards,
                      Juan V.

• 8. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
                        Michael_N

Yes, I would like someone at Intel to help us understand why when the DSE bit is enabled in the RTC on the ICH8 that sometimes the DST adjustment is done and other times it is not done,  Is there something else blocking the DST adjustment?  Is there something internal to the RTC that needs to see some amount of time prior to 1:59:59 am on 4/2/2017 or it doesn't do the DST adjustment?  Obviously, the RTC keeps track in the fall so it doesn't go in an infinite loop.  This is on Advantech PCM-9652 SBC.

This feature is probably not used by anyone anymore because it is the wrong dates, but since we accidentally had it enabled, we need an explanation for why it doesn't work on all SBCs, or works sometimes.

• 9. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Michael_N,

I would recommend contacting Advantech Support as this is more related to BIOS/programming issue.

Best Regards,
                          Juan V.

• 10. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
                            Michael_N

Yes, we are already in contact with Advantech, but this seems more like a chip issue than BIOS because the AMI Bios does not even have support for DST. That is why my question is to Intel about what are the prerequisites for the ICH8 RTC actually doing the DST adjustment.  If DSE bit is enabled, why does it sometimes not do the adjustment?

• 11. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Michael_N,

From our level support, this type of issues are not handled, therefore you may want to try the Embedded Community:

https://embedded.communities.intel.com/

Otherwise, you may want to try again with the manufacturer.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
                              Juan V.

• 12. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
                                Michael_N

I found that register 6, Day of Week, needs to be set correctly in order for the DST adjustment to be made.  There is a note about this in the Motorola MC146818B data sheet, but not in the intel ICH8 datasheet about the Day of the Week.

Is that all it uses for DST adjustment? Month=4, Date <= 7, DOW=1, time = 1:59:59?  It doesn't calculate the 1st Sunday of April for each year?

• 13. Re: Real Time Clock DST issue ICH8
                                  N.Scott.Pearson

This may likely be the case. Remember that gates were costly in these ICs way back when and any way to minimize them would have been used...

...S