8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 1:57 PM by Intel Corporation

USB-C network options

PeterHand

Hello,

I am working on developing a system using the Joule that requires me to establish a network layer between both a windows 10 laptop and an android phone, but not at the same time.  I have seen on the thread located here :    Windows 10 - CDC ECM & MTP drivers that Intel is currently working on a solution for CDC drivers in windows, however I have not seen anything mentioned as far as android support is concerned.  I am looking to use a single USB-C port for communications to both the Laptop and the phone.  For my uses, it does not matter if the Android phone acts as a host or a device, which leads me to two possible solutions for getting the android connectivity working:  Solution 1) leverage OTG functionality on the type C port and turn the joule to a regular host so that the phone can act as a device and bring up an RNDIS driver to establish the network layer. Solution 2) have the android phone act as a host and have the joule serve a CDC driver to the phone similarly to the default configuration for windows 10.  I would like to know if there is any planned support in the near future for either of these options? Thank you.

-Peter

• 1. Re: USB-C network options
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi PeterHand,

Thank you for contacting us. Those are interesting questions. We’ve researched about this topic and haven’t found anything yet that might be relevant to you. Please allow us to investigate further before providing a response. 

Please keep in mind that Intel doesn’t disclose roadmaps of support, however, we’ll try to help out as much as we can in order to provide useful information.

Regards,
          -Sergio

• 2. Re: USB-C network options
            PeterHand

Sergio,

Thank you for the reply,  Let me ask you, do you know if there is way to switch the mode on the USB-C port so that it would act as a host? Thank you.

• 3. Re: USB-C network options
              Intel Corporation

Hi PeterHand,

Thank you for your patience. After researching possible solutions for this issue, we found out that the developer team is already aware of this issue and is working on a solution. At this time, there’s no estimated time for when this will be available, but hopefully it’ll be available soon.

At this point, we’d suggest you to look for independent driver vendors or contract service providers who may be able to provide a solution.

We appreciate your understanding.

Regards,
              -Sergio A

• 4. Re: USB-C network options
                PeterHand

Sergio,

I compiled and flashed the new git update today bringing the ref os to 1705 and it seems like there has been some progress made to usb.  Now when attempting to utilize USB-C OTG, it attempts negotiation and fails. Here is the error output below:

[  347.672262] bxt_wcove_usbc bxt_wcove_usbc: wcove_mode_get: failed to evaluate _DSM, func:6

[  347.681536] bxt_wcove_usbc bxt_wcove_usbc: _DSM method failed!

[  348.410671] Message is not from a Source, ignored

[  349.535944] Message is not from a Source, ignored

[  350.089828] Message is not from a Source, ignored

[  350.645073] Message is not from a Source, ignored

[  351.198109] Message is not from a Source, ignored

[  351.746173] Message is not from a Source, ignored

[  352.302313] Message is not from a Source, ignored

[  352.855054] Message is not from a Source, ignored

are there any patch notes or updates from your side regarding this support? Thank you

-Peter

• 5. Re: USB-C network options
                  zalfakir

Any chance that Edison drivers can be hacked until there is official Intel support?

• 6. Re: USB-C network options
                    Intel Corporation

Hi PeterHand,

At the moment, we don’t have any updates in regards to this case. We appreciate your understanding.

-Sergio A

• 7. Re: USB-C network options
                      PeterHand

Sergio,

I would like to update my experience using 1705 + BIOS 1H3. It appears that more functionality has been added using this bios and firmware version relative to USB On the go support. At this point, The joule is able to negotiate itself into either Host mode or Device mode depending on what type of device is plugged in, however, the joule is still unable to activate OTG on the target device(eg, the joule will switch to Host mode when connected to an android phone, and switch to device mode when connected to a laptop, but the joule will not force the android phone into host mode).  For what it is worth, in testing the Edison I have found that it fully supports all the OTG features that we need, however it lacks in other features. At this point, we are waiting for the Joule to have USB on the go on parity with the Edison.  Thank you

-Peter

• 8. Re: USB-C network options
                        Intel Corporation

Hi 

@Peterhand- Thank you for sharing your results. There were in fact, some changes made to the BIOS recently. You can see what has changed in the Release notes, which can be found here: joule-firmware-2017-06-02-1H3-public/Docs/1H3_ReleaseNotes.txt. We will once again contact the developer team to let them know your feedback. 

@zalfakir- We do not recommend trying to modify the existing drivers. As of yet, there’s no workaround to add this feature. For now, we’d suggest to wait until the development team releases a fix.

Regards,
                        -Sergio A