3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2017 11:51 AM by TheWombat

NUC7i5BNH build (for info)

TheWombat

I've just completed my NUC7i5BNH build with Windows 10 64 bit Pro to replace my old AMD Phenom X4-955/AMD 7970 graphics card PC. While my old PC was more than sufficient for my needs I wanted to replace the old Corsair tower with a small form factor and I don't play PC games these days. Having been using the NUC for a couple of days I am very pleased with the performance for normal use (email, browser, Word, Excel) and how quiet and cool (temperature wise) the unit is. I have freed up considerable space under and around my desk.

I have installed BIOS 0046 and the latest drivers from the Intel download site as of 11 May 2017. The HDMI connector was already on firmware 1.66 and so did not need updating. note: I disabled WiFi, Infrared and the micro SD card slot in the BIOS as I don't use them. I made no other changes in the BIOS.

For anyone interested I have listed the components I used below and have had no compatibility issues connecting my Dell monitor either via USB-C/DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0 cable.

Components:

Intel NUC7i5BNH Mini PC NUC Kit

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin: BLS2K16G4S26BFSD

Samsung 512GB 960 PRO M.2 Internal SSD:  MZ-V6P512BW

Samsung 1TB 850 Evo 2.5" SATA III SSD: MZ-75E1T0B/AM

Pioneer Slim Portable USB 3.0 BD/DVD/CD External Slot Burner: BDR-XS06

Dell 3440x1440 34" monitor: U3415W

Cables:

Plugable USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter Cable - 6 feet

Amazon Basics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 3 Feet

Peripherals:

Sony MDR-ZX770BT bluetooth headset (no specific drivers)

Jabra Speak 510 USB speakerphone (Jabra Direct 3.7)

Logitech C930e web cam (no specific drivers)

Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard (Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard Center 2.8.106)

Logitech Performance MX mouse (Logitech SetPoint 6.67.83_64)

I will also be switching back to a dual monitor setup by connecting a Dell 27" U2717D monitor when it arrives next week.

The only issue I have found is related to a bug in the latest version of Windows (version 1703/build 15063.296) which is resulting in non-Windows (e.g. linux) machines not being displayed in File Explorer network browsing. This appears to be an issue relating to Samba/SMB/NetBios similar to the issue from Nov 2015. I do not believe the issue is related to the NUC or Intel drivers and the non-Windows machines can still be connected to by typing \\machine-name

thanks

Alex

• 1. Re: NUC7i5BNH build (for info)
          jirages

hello, just a question

my setup is :

Intel NUC7i5BNH Mini PC NUC Kit

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin: BLS2K16G4S26BFSD

Samsung 1tb 960 EVO M.2 Internal SSD: 

Samsung 1TB 850 Evo 2.5" MSATA III SSD on msata/sata adapter

samsung monitor 29"

did you see the ability in Samsung magician to put the secondary ssd (850 evo) in rapid mode ?

I was surprised that we could do that and both ssd's are blazing fast between each other

It was a surprise for me, but surely everybody knows

• 2. Re: NUC7i5BNH build (for info)
            TheWombat

Yes the option to enable rapid mode on the 850 EVO secondary ssd does show and can be enabled in Samsung Magician on my setup. I personally have not enabled it since performance is already great and while I have sufficient RAM I do not need the feature

Alex

• 3. Re: NUC7i5BNH build (for info)
              TheWombat

As a final follow up I received my Dell U2717D monitor today and was successfully able to run it at 2560x1440 daisy chained to the Dell U3415W running at 3440x1440. The nice thing about these two monitors is the vertical screen size and resolution is pretty much the same albeit it is likely too wide for most. I like to keep my chat clients, password manager etc open on the 27" monitor.

For the daisy chain I use Plugable USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter Cable from the NUC to the U3415W and a display port to mini display port from the U3415W to the U2717D monitor.

thanks

Alex