Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

I7 Chips vs Ram Speed (1066 vs 1800??)

idata
Employee

Hi;

Forgive my newbness but I'm learning as I go. I am going to try and build my own PC. As such I've started compile a list of components to ensure compatibility. As with any dreamer I'm starting with all of the best parts first and whitling down as the price goes up.

So for a process I am looking at the I7's (obv), and just to keep it simple the Intel DX58SO mobo. However when I look to align RAM with this one thing caught my eye. I see the RAM speeds are 1375, 1600 and 1800. Whereas the chip specs state that this processor can only handle 3 Channels of DDR3 1066 MHz memory.

1066 << 1800 so what gives? If I'm not going to upgrade my chip for years to come should I simply be ignoring all ram > 1066MHz?

Thanks!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

165 views so far and no possible answers - did I post this in the right place?

Could some one point me to another forum perhaps where I might have better luck?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The higher clocked ram is mostly for people who want to overclock there computers.

While only 1066 is offically supported, you can work with the higher speeds as sold by a number of companys.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

k thanks! That's the only thing I could think of was that that extra RAM speed was available for overclocking.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There is an Intel Live Chat session on Intel core processors. I think that will be the right platform to get answers to any questions regarding Intel technologies instantly from Intel's in house experts. More info @ www.intellivechat.com

0 Kudos