12 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 5:35 PM by JTKa66

NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.

JTKa66

Just got it and install Samsung 960 EVO m.2 ssd and Kingston HyperX Impact 2*8 BG memory modules. After pressing power button only short burst of prosessor cooler and then shut down.

• 1. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
          JTKa66

No BIOS beebs codes or any other fault codes. Dosent even enter Bios enterin menu (F2,F7 or F10).

Power button blinks four or five times before shutting down.

• 2. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
            JTKa66

can it be  incompatible memory fault ?  Memory is

Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM CL13 Dual Kit

Memory is not mentioned in Intels system memory list

• 3. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
              lw1948

The HyperX memory (HX421S13IBK2/16) work good with NUC, so compatibility should not be a problem. I'll suggest try the following steps:

1. First try to recover your bios  BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC . The latest bios version is 0046. Download the .bio file from here: Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A] . There are two bios recovery methods. The preferred method is with the security jumper removed, and it is executed automatically. If you prefer, you can use the Power Button method (press F4 after you see Power Button menu). Push the power button and hold it down for 3 seconds. The system will emit three short beeps from the front panel (FP) audio port (if you have connected speaker), then you shall release the power button. The FP power button LED will also change from Blue to Amber when you can release the power button. You shall release the power button before the 4-second shutdown override.

2. If bios recovery didn't help, try using just one memory module at a time, swapping it between the upper and lower memory slots.

Hope this will help

Leon

• 4. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
                N.Scott.Pearson

You shouldn't have a compatibility issue, but you could have bad or incorrectly installed SODIMMs.

First thing to do is clear CMOS, then follow Leon's (good) advice.

...S

• 5. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
                  JTKa66

Thanks for the tips

I Have try to switch SODIMM modules and try to use only one module at a time. No difference.

I removed security jumper and installed USB flash with 046 bios file in USB port.

NUC didin't even try to boot. after pressing power button (3 sec or longer).

After putting security jumper back to 1-2 (normal mode) NUC try to boot and flashed

power button light few time and shut down. Just like what happened earlier.

I don't have any laptop to check the SODIMM modules and my workstation doesn't

support M.2 ssd module so I can't isolate possible hardware problem with these components.

Tapio K.

• 6. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
                    lw1948

Hello Tapio

Since you did every think what I ask for without result, I think that in some case clearing CMOS by disconnecting for few minutes the CMOS battery may solve the boot problem. I believe it was Scott's intention in his post #4 above. The CMOS battery and its connector are located on the top side of the NUC board. In order to get access to the battery connector, you need remove the bottom cover and then remove the board after unscrewing the holding screws. Before doing this remove the memory modules and SSD. If you fill capable to do this, try this.

Leon

• 7. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Disconnect A/C and unplug battery for 15 minutes (yes, draining CMOS *CAN* take that long).

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
                        jirages

just unmount the ssd, and try to boot to bios, only with the DDR's.

As I was configuring my NUC, at one time, it did the same as yours...

I found out it was the hdmi cable not well seated

• 9. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
                          JTKa66

Unplugging battery was right thing to do because then I have to take apart whole NUC.

After I take the mainboard out of box I notice that the whole "Thermal solution" was loose.

My "no booting" problem was not electrical or from software.

MY PROBLEM WAS MECHANICAL AND DUE TO LACK OF CONTACT BETWEEN PROCESSOR AND

"THERMAL SOLUTION" I WAS HAVING THERMAL THROTTLING AND NUC SHUTS DOWN RIGHT AWAY

AFTER BOOTING (2-3 sec after pushing powerbutton).

Allso the metalplate under CMOS battery was loose.

Intel. Your subcontractor who is assembling NUCs have major quality control problem.

I had to disassemple the "thermal solution" and blow it apart and reassemple it.

I have never earlier seen so bad quality cooler in any prebuilt PC (or selfmade ones)

• 10. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
                            lw1948

JTKa66,

I agree with you absolutely. Many new and strange problems we see in this forum with the latest NUC new line. NUC is not some cheap PC. Specially NUC7i7BNH is not cheap at all. After such findings Intel shall not answer as usual that "we are glad that your problem is solved".  Intel shall make an investigation and improve the assembly line. Using the Serial Number of your unit, may help in such investigation.

Leon

• 11. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
                              cvare

I agree JTKa66, that is awful and unacceptable.

I have PM'd you.

• 12. Re: NUC7i7BNH Wont boot.
                                JTKa66

I am not very keen to sent NUC back to Intel because it is now up and running. OS and all software installed.

I have activated Win 10 OS, so I would have to reactivete it with the new NUC .

I bought the NUC from Mindfactory  Germany and now the NUC is in Helsinki, Finland.

Main problem was three "legs" that connect cooler to motherboard. The "triangle" they made didn't met holes in motherboard. I Have to take them apart of the cooler and

I had to make some mechanical "adjustments" (sandpaper) and then I glue the "legs" to the motherboard. After that I attached cooler (and adding some Noctua thermalpaste

between prosessor and cooler). Now I have to trac processor temperatures for few days.