4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 11:24 AM by Intel Corporation

Max Gstreamer frame rate with 4 cameras

Robo2500

Hi

Does anyone know the max frame rate for streaming 4x 5MP Cameras?  I'd like to use the Joule to stream 4 USB cameras to over IP.  I'm currently doing it with 4x Raspberry pis.

• 1. Re: Max Gstreamer frame rate with 4 cameras
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Robo2500,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule™ Platform.

Honestly, I don't know the exact max frame rate for streaming 4x 5MP cameras. What I do know is that the official image of the Intel® Joule™ (Ref OS IoT), has support for two camera modules, a 5MP imager on JCAM2 and a 13MP imager on JCAM1 IoT .

I would encourage you to follow this documentation IoT , in order to know how to implement two single-simultaneous streams, from two physically separate cameras.

Hope you find this information useful, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
          -Jose P.

• 2. Re: Max Gstreamer frame rate with 4 cameras
            Robo2500

Ok great thanks for the speedy response - do you know if 4+ USB cameras are possible?  Or is it a case of buying one and trying it out, I'd noticed that there was docs on doing 2 (raw cameras) but couldn't see a maximum number.  I'd just be using USB cameras in a security streaming application, I'm doing the top level design at the moment and just wanted to know if it was possible before going to the next design phase (where I get a budget) we'd be looking to stream 4 at least to make the solution viable. 

• 3. Re: Max Gstreamer frame rate with 4 cameras
              Intel Corporation

Hi Robo2500,

The links that I provided are from the official documentation of the Joule from them, I understand that the maximum number is two cameras streaming at the same time. Still, please let me investigate if it could be possible to have 4 cameras streaming simultaneously.

We appreciate your patience, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
              -Jose P.

• 4. Re: Max Gstreamer frame rate with 4 cameras
                Intel Corporation

Hi Robo2500,

Thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately, using 4 cameras hasn't been validated, so it may be possible that it doesn't work, since it may exceed the USB bandwidth.

We would encourage to follow the guides in here IoT  and if are able to succeed connecting 4 cameras, we would appreciate if you share your results, since it may be beneficial for other users in the community.

Best Regards,
                -Jose P.