9 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 4:33 PM by Intel Corporation

brand new NUC7i5BNH : no sound at all.

yves75

So I just received and installled a brand new nuc7i5BNH, and I have no sound at all

The speaker in the bottom right of the task bar is shown with the red dot with cross, and even ear buds in the 3.5 jack no sound.

Other wise everything else seems to work fine.

And when I plug a USB sound card, the sound works as well.

Any idea ?

I use it plugged to a 4K display through HDMI, the display has no speaker.

Could it be that the sound is driven through HDMI so the 3.5 jack isn't functional ?

• 2. Re: brand new NUC7i5BNH : no sound at all.
          yves75

Not really as I don't want to use the HDMI audio, but just using the audio jack output (or SPDIF) to an audio amp with no HDMI, and I use the HDMI port to a 4k display with no speakers (LG 27UD88-W).

Plus this audio jack port should work right ?

But thanks a lot for the link.

A hardware issue on the motherboard ?

• 3. Re: brand new NUC7i5BNH : no sound at all.
            AdrianReef

I'm not an Intel expert but I don't blame the hardware unless I've tried every possible thing.
            I mean, are you using the Sound control panel of Windows or the Realtek control panel?
            Maybe you didn't set the default output devices correctly.

• 4. Re: brand new NUC7i5BNH : no sound at all.
              yves75

Ok, It's been a long time I didn't install a PC (I'm mostly on a macbook pro)

And forgot to go through the drivers updates ...  :/

(or thought it wasn't necessary anymore)

So after something like 30 or more  reboots with the intel drivers update utility, the sound works !!

However when I run the driver utility, I'm still left with below to update :

Intel chipset device software for intel NUC

Intel HD Graphic driver for Windows 10 for Intel NUC Kit NUC7i3BN, i5, I7

Intel Management Engine cosnumer driver for intel NUC ...

And somehow this runs into a loop and doesn't want to update, any idea why ?

But everything seems to work fine including 4k, so I will leave it at that for now .

Thanks for the help.

Btw, still don't understand why all this driver update business isn't part of windows install...

• 5. Re: brand new NUC7i5BNH : no sound at all.
                AdrianReef

Because, as you can expect, this isn't an Apple product.
                I mean, since Apple decides which hardware has to work and which not "at priori", all their drivers are shipped directly with their system while on Windows, the user has the choice, meaning, that you can install whatever you want on your machine, given that you install the relative drivers to make it work.
                Btw, usually, on windows machine I'm used to ownload all the possible packages from the website of the vendor and install them, one by one, according to the instructions provided for each one of them, often beginning with the chipset and then,all the rest.
                Should you ever need more(or updates) you should always refer to the support page for your NUC: Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH .
                Glad to have been of partial help.
                Have fun!

• 6. Re: brand new NUC7i5BNH : no sound at all.
                  yves75

Yes I know, but still think there could be something like a reference on the MB that windows install read, and then go query the manufactuer to streamline the process.

Anyway thanks a lot for the help !

And will try to empty my list with the driver package, although would think the Intel utility should work full automatic as well

• 7. Re: brand new NUC7i5BNH : no sound at all.
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello yves75,

I’m glad that you got the audio working on this NUC and AdrianReef thank you for your contribution on this post.

In this case, for you to have the system working more stable I recommend updating all the drivers for the NUC from the link AdrianReef posted above. Not all drivers are available when installing Windows because we build the hardware and Microsoft the operating system and this is for customers to use the system as they wish but your feedback is very important for us.

Please let me know if you need anything else regarding this matter and I will be more than glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 8. Re: brand new NUC7i5BNH : no sound at all.
                      AdrianReef

My pleasure
                      I know how hard it can be to help a huge amount of customers, I thought that I could ease some of that pressure.

• 9. Re: brand new NUC7i5BNH : no sound at all.
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Absolutely, and your contribution is always very much appreciated.

Ivan U.