7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 1:20 PM by Intel Corporation

wifi

Ayyappan91

In intel edison either the wifi can be operated from outside like any other android app or web app

i.e i have to assign SSID and Password can be access from mobile or desktop with out using serial port like putty

• 1. Re: wifi
          douglas.lamaster

If you've plugged your edison via the OTG port into your computer, just run the intel_edison_setup tool (here) on your computer. If you have external power and have plugged your edison via the serial usb terminal (COM, port) then fire up Putty or minicom and run "configure_edison --setup" command.

• 2. Re: wifi
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Ayyappan91,

Thank you for contacting us. You can connect the Edison to a Wi-Fi network without the need to connect the serial port. Since you don’t want to use serial in Putty, you can connect through SSH if your Edison and the device you’re using to connect are on the same network. If you want to enable SSH, set a password and connect to a Wi-Fi network you can look at the setup tool: https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-edison-windows-step2 .

In regards to the application, you can use the Intel XDK to create your IoT application. You can see more information about the XDK and what you can do with it here https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-xdk .

Let us know if this answers your questions.

Regards,
            -Sergio A

• 3. Re: wifi
              Ayyappan91

Thanks for the reply i have used the Run Setup tool but what i need is to be like the wifi wants to be connected like which we have been used in our mobile or laptop with communication involved when i power on the board it will search for the network and i have to select the wifi network and corresponding password for it with the third party application or intel application is that possible

And any related XDK program or app related is available let me know its helpful for the upgrade to understand for me . 

• 4. Re: wifi
                Intel Corporation

Thank you for your reply. We want to be certain we understand your question correctly. Your goal is to log into the Edison and select which network to connect to from an external application running on your phone, is this correct?

If that’s the case, then, for the first time it’d be necessary for you to log into the Linux terminal to make configuration of SSID, password and WiFi. After this configuration is done, every time the Edison boots, it’ll automatically connect to the network it was previously configured to connect.

On following attempts, you can have a third party application, as you mention, to login into the Linux terminal from your mobile, for example.

Let us know if this is what you were looking for.

Regards,
                -Sergio A

• 5. Re: wifi
                  Intel Corporation

Hi,

Do you still need assistance with this thread?

-Sergio A

• 6. Re: wifi
                    Ayyappan91

Howdy

I am using intel edison i dono how to enable or list or view  the pin of arduino board pins and i have to communicate via serial port and rx and tx transmission will be happen please help me with this problem

• 7. Re: wifi
                      Intel Corporation

Hi,

I noticed you’ve opened a new thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/115045 with this same question. 

We’ll continue to help you in your new thread to avoid confusion with duplicate questions.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
                      -Sergio A