9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2017 11:36 AM by Intel Corporation

BSOD from Turbo Boost Max

Claire_Monkey

I've been getting the occasional BSOD recently: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
      Using WhoCrashed by Resplendence has suggested it may have something to do with the Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver
      I have disabled the service from starting for now, to see if that fixes it, but I'm wondering if anyone else have any experience with this, or can give insight into what may be going on?

Operating System Windows 10 Pro 1703 15063.296
      Processor (CPU)  Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-6850K (3.6GHz) 15MB Cache
      Motherboard ASUS® X99-E: ATX, Broadwell-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
      Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB)

Intel - Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 version 1.0.2.1
      Intel - Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Service version 1.0.0.1031

This is what WhoCrashed said for the last crash:

On Fri 12/05/2017 03:51:04 your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051217-17406-01.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16C310)
      Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFD401003160C0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF801847D7E7E)
      Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
      file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
      product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
      company: Microsoft Corporation
      description: NT Kernel & System
      Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
      The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 12/05/2017 03:51:04 your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: intelnit.sys (IntelNit+0x660A)
      Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFD401003160C0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF801847D7E7E)
      Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
      file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\intelnit.sys
      product: Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver
      company: Intel Corporation
      description: Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver
      Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
      A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: intelnit.sys (Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver, Intel Corporation).
      Google query: Intel Corporation IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The minidump can be downloaded here: Dropbox - 051217-17406-01.dmp

The full memory dump: Dropbox - MEMORY.DMP

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

• 1. Re: BSOD from Turbo Boost Max
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Claire_Monkey,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I’m sorry for the issue you have experience with the Intel® Turbo Boost 3.0.

By any chance, have you checked if this option is available on your motherboard BIOS? Also make sure you are running the latest BIOS version for your motherboard.

If that does not work.

1. Uninstalling previous version of Driver/Application and reinstall the new version.
          2. Go to Windows Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program, and uninstall any previous version of Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 software.
          3. Reboot the system.
          4. To install the new version unzip the TBMT Driver/Control Panel Application package.
          5. In Windows Explorer, right-click on INF file and select Install.
          6. After successful installation, reboot the system.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Ivan U.
          • 2. Re: BSOD from Turbo Boost Max
            Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 3. Re: BSOD from Turbo Boost Max
              Claire_Monkey

Apologies for having left this so long. I thought it was fixed and had managed to go a whole month without a crash. Then this-morning it happened again.

So since then I have updated my bios to the latest version. I went from 1504 up to 1701 from: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/X99-E/HelpDesk_Download/

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the Turbo Boost Max driver from: Download Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0

Although it did already list that I was on that version.

And a mere 4 hours since my last crash, I crash again.

It's always the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD

The Turbo Boot Max service is running, though I had it disabled until after the earlier crash today. The driver said it was installed on 20th within programs and features when I went to uninstall it. So Windows must have done it. I did find if I tried to uninstall it, it would immediately ask me to restart, and if I did restart, it would be reinstalled when I looked again.

• 4. Re: BSOD from Turbo Boost Max
                Intel Corporation

Hello Claire_Monkey,

We have tried the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology but haven’t experience any BSOD. I don’t believe this issue is caused by the

Try running the system I safe mode, Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology, I this point I suggest you to run Windows update, to reinstall all drivers. An incorrectly installed or buggy driver can lead to crashes. Download the latest drivers for your computer’s hardware from your computer manufacturer’s website and install them — this may fix BSODs caused by driver problems.

Blue screens are generally caused by problems with your computer’s hardware or issues with its hardware driver software. Sometimes, they can be caused by issues with low-level software running in the Windows kernel. Regular apps usually won’t be able to cause blue screens. If an app crashes, it will do so without taking the operating system out with it.

If your system was working fine before try to do a system restore to a date where the system was working fine.

If that does not solve it.
                Check for Hardware Problems: Blue screens can be caused by faulty hardware in your computer. Try testing your computer’s memory for errors and checking its temperature to ensure that it isn’t overheating. If that fails, you might need to test other hardware components.

If nothing works, Reinstall Windows: Resetting Windows—or performing a clean install—is the nuclear option. It will blow away your existing system software, replacing it with a fresh Windows system. If your computer continues to blue screen after this, you likely have a hardware problem.

A computer in proper working state shouldn’t blue-screen at all, but no software or hardware is perfect. Even a properly functioning computer may blue screen on rare occasions for no apparent reason—possibly as the result of rare driver bugs or hardware issues. If your computer is regularly blue-screening, you have a problem. If you encounter a blue screen once every two years, don’t worry about it.

I hope this can help.

Regards,

Ivan U.

• 5. Re: BSOD from Turbo Boost Max
                  Claire_Monkey

As stated in my original message, the dump's are stating that it is caused my Turbo boost.

I always keep my Windows up-to-date and my drivers are all up to date. This has been an ongoing problem, continually stating Turbo boost as the issue and has not changed no matter what I have updated.
                  I have been receiving these BSOD before and since the last fresh install of Windows, so System Restore is not an option for me.
                  I have tested my memory, there were no errors. This computer is only a year old, and the boot drive was replaced 2 months ago when updating the bios for this very problem killed it.

My crash analyser says its unlikely to be hardware and pinpoints Turbo Boost as the problem, why would it say that if it had nothing to do with it?

Is there any way to actually not use Turbo Boost at all? So I can just see if it works without it?

• 6. Re: BSOD from Turbo Boost Max
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Claire_Monkey,

Turbo boost on your processor you can disable in the BIOS but it depends on your motherboard BIOS if this option is enabled or not.

To uninstall the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 you can do it from the control panel, Go to Windows Control PanelProgramsUninstall a Program, and uninstall any version of Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 software.
                    Reboot the system.

Regards,

Ivan U.

• 7. Re: BSOD from Turbo Boost Max
                      Claire_Monkey

As stated in my first post, my motherboard is the ASUS® X99-E. Will I be able to disable it on that? Can you give any guidance to what setting I'm looking for?

It crashed again last night.

As stated in my previous message, when I try to uninstall the driver now, it automatically re-installs on restart. I'm not sure what I can do about that? I'm fairly certain I did get it uninstalled before and that's why I didn't have a crash for a month, but now it doesn't seem to be an option.

• 8. Re: BSOD from Turbo Boost Max
                        Intel Corporation

To check the turbo boost in the BIOS, you will need to contact ASUS for them to guide you in the BIOS how to disable it or to enable it if it is not enabled and perhaps for that reason you are getting the BSOD.

You should be able to contact ASUS here:
                        https://www.asus.com/support/
                        NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please let me know how it goes.

Ivan U.

• 9. Re: BSOD from Turbo Boost Max
                          Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.