1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 10:46 AM by Infotec

NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS

josepmn

Hi everybody

I just bought nuc 7i3bnh and I´d would like boot with a micro sd card samsung EVO 16gb HC I

i have tested BIOS options refer to boot without succesful. With usb pendrive I installed win 10 pro selecting F10 key

Anybody can help me with bios parameters?

My target is boot with openelec or librelec also

Thank in advance

• 1. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In regard to your inquiry, I was checking the BIOS options for boot on the NUC, and there is no option showing to boot from the micro SD card, the only options showing under “boot configuration” are: Internal UEFI/Shell, USB, Optical and Network boot. Just to let you know, the tests Intel did on the NUC were done using Windows as the only operating system on it at stock configurations, however, I will do further research on this matter in order to confirm if there is an option to boot from the SD card. As soon as I get any updates, I will provide all the details on this thread.

Also, I encourage all the peers viewing this forum that if they have any information related to this subject to post all the comments and suggestions on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
            josepmn

Thanks for your quick response

I hope this can be solved because it was important to decide which Intel NUC model to buy. I wanted to buy the one I have NUC7I3BHN or NUC 6i3SYH, both with SD card reader, one micro SD and the other SD normal size.

Do you know if the NUC 6i3SYH can boot from SD reader with another OS?

In the forum nobody has commented yet.

Do you think if this is a bug or forget in BIOS of this NUC model, and if can be fixed with a new future BIOS update?

Thanks and best regards from Barcelona

Josep MN

• 3. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
              Intel Corporation

You are welcome. To answer your question, I just wanted to confirm that there is no option to boot from the SD card, we tried to replicate this scenario in our lab and the SD card will not be recognized as a bootable device by the NUCs regardless of the OS installed on it.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 4. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                josepmn

Thanks Alberto

Is this NUC7I3BNH the one than have not boot from sd catd? others NUC models can do it?

Is possible in future modify BIOS?

I'm sad to hear this

• 5. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                  Intel Corporation

, You are welcome. In regard to your question, unfortunately, none of the Intel NUCS are capable of booting from the SD card, at this point there is no official information stating that this feature will be added in the future, let me apologize for that, but I will send your feedback to the proper department so they can be aware of your comments.

Regards,
                  Alberto R

• 6. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                    josepmn

Thanks

we will wating for this. Can be useful

• 7. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                      Intel Corporation

You are welcome. Your feedback was already sent to the proper department. For any updates, please visit our web site, where you will be able to verify all the BIOS versions available for your NUC, in the case maybe a new BIOS version is released that supports that feature:
                      https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Regards,
                      Alberto R

• 8. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                        Akisviete

Hi,

I have the same problem. I bought the nuc 7i3bnh and can't boot from sd card with the bios version 46. It seems you are not correct by saying that no nuc boots from sd card see this video: Booting NUC dengan SD Card untuk Instalasi OS - YouTube . I think it was possible in bios v 36 but it is impossible to downgrade now to check. Please fix this bug, every new computer can boot from sd card. I am sad and angry because of this inconvenience. Please guide me if I need to inform anyone else to get it fixed.

All the best,

Modestas

• 9. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Thank you very much for sharing that information and for providing the video.

We apologize for any inconvenience. I just wanted to let you know that I will send your suggestion to the proper department so they can be aware of your comments.

Regards,
                          Alberto R

• 10. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                            josepmn

Thnks Akisviete for your video

Alberto please a little pressure to the department. is very useful get another drive where install for exemple linux or ubuntu

we are waiting news

thanks

• 11. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                              Intel Corporation

: Yes, I sent your feedback to the proper department so they can be aware of your suggestion, but just to let you know, it is up to them, to the BIOS team, to make the decision of creating a new BIOS that supports that feature or not. I do not want to give you false expectations, this is not for sure, so the best thing to do will be to keep checking our web site, if by any chance a new BIOS gets release, you will be able to see it there.

Regards,
                              Alberto R

• 12. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                                jclima

Any updates on this thread? Very interested and disappointed it cant boot from SD. Had to get a USB drive just for booting.

• 13. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                                  Intel Corporation

: In regard to your inquiry, there are no updates, it is not possible to boot from the Micro SD card with the NUC. If you need further assistance on this matter or any other subject, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for that is that every scenario is different, even if the same product is being used, so, for us to better assist you please submit a new one:
                                  https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
                                  Alberto R

• 14. Re: NUC7I3BNH boot from micro sd reader others OS
                                    nucssd

I am upgrading from a NUC5CPYH to a NUC7I3BNH. The NUC5 is most definitely booting off of its SD card without difficulty. But the NUC7 refuses to boot from its SD card. This is a change to the behavior - NOT legacy behavior.

Here is a link to the install guide I followed before and attempted to follow again clearly documenting an install onto an SD card for boot. I can guarantee it worked.

Intel NUC as Plex Media Player Client: Setup Guide

If Intel is going to change the way its products work, at a minimum customers would expect some documentation in the sales literature, to prevent people like me from buying a useless microSD card as the boot disk, and then finding it doesn't work.

But I don't understand why the NUC does not boot from the SD card. Seems normal functionality and expectation of your users.

Thank you for Alberto being so responsive and taking the brunt of these comments. You are our only communication vehicle. Keep sending the comments to the "proper department", and let them know it is a lie that NUCs can't boot from an SD, its just the new ones that can't!

1 2 Previous Next