4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 6:04 PM by Intel Corporation

cloning intel edison root fs and settings

tuma84

Hi everybody,

currently I`m trying to clone my Edison`s filesystem and all the settings I made before to setup other devices quickly.

What I´m doing is following:

- cloning the root-fs of my prepared device:  dd bs=4M if=/dev/mmcblk0p8 | gzip > /home/root/edison-image-edison.ext4.gz

- replacing the ext4 file in the edison standard-image

- flashing my new device in windows comandline with flash-tool "flashall.bat"

The flashing process ist working so far but the services are not starting. On the prepared device "hostapd" is enabaled and started by default. I expected the same on the new flashed device.

Has anybody an idea?

Many thanks,

tuma

• 1. Re: cloning intel edison root fs and settings
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Tuma,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison platform.

We would like to suggest you to try using the dd command and an SD card or a USB Flash drive in order to clone and restore what you need, please take a look at the following information:

To backup:

• dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/sda1/<Any File Name> bs=1M

To restore:
          • dd if=/mnt/sda1/<File Name> of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M 

Note: /mnt/sda1/ should be the path where the USB flash drive or SD card is mounted

Additionally, please take a look at the following threads that we believe you’ll find useful information: 
          Hope you find this information useful, however, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us back.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
          -Yermi A.
          • 2. Re: cloning intel edison root fs and settings
            tuma84

Thank you, but unfortunatly in my system it is not possible to attach a PenDrive.

I created my own PCB for Powermanagment and sensoring which has exactly the same size then the Edison module itself. My board supports powermanagment, battery obersavation, and many sensor IC's like 9 axis sesnor, highprecision ADC, humidity, temp and some more... The size of the PCB is restricted so I decided to save the IC's which would have been necessary for the OTG support. (At least 3 IC's because the external device must be powerd by the battery then)

One more Information: I have only one USB-Port which is used for charging and USB-mass storage.

I tried now to mount a network drive on my windows PC:

>>mount -t cifs //192.168.xx.xx/abc /mnt/lan -o username=usernameofwindowsmachine,password=xyz

I'm getting following error:

mount: unknown filesystem type 'cifs', so cifs is not supported Do I have to use a linux maschine

Is there a solution to mount a network drive on the edison?

Thank you,

tuma

• 3. Re: cloning intel edison root fs and settings
              Intel Corporation

Hi Tuma,

Thanks for the information provided and it is great to know you have created your own board. Regarding the network drive in Windows, we would like to share this guide: How do I map a network drive in Windows? That we believe you will find useful information.

Moreover, we were thinking that you can backup the file system over network using SSH, we have not tried it before, however, you could try. Please take a look at the following steps:

To backup (your Edison’s file system in your Linux PC):

• dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | ssh user@ip 'dd of=/home/user/Edison_image'

To restore (in your other Edison)
              • ssh user@ip 'dd if=/home/user/Edison_image' | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0

You might use a Linux PC because Windows will not recognize dd commands, also take a look at Clone a Hard Drive over the Network with DD, for more details about the process.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
              -Yermi A.
              • 4. Re: cloning intel edison root fs and settings
                Intel Corporation

Hi Tuma,

We would like to know if you have any updates or if you still need help in this case.

Regards,
                -Yermi A.