14 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 5:22 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise

backslash

The fan noise is driving me crazy. I returned my skull canyon because of the fan noise hoping that this 15W CPU makes less noise.

Is there anything I can do to eliminate the fan noise on idle? I found a "Fanless" option in BIOS, but it's not fanless at all. Is this "fanless" mode supposed to not be fanless?

• 1. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello backslash,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience this can be causing to you, please be aware that the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH is not fanless, this NUC has a fan that it needs to spin to keep the system cool, you can try in the BIOS under the cool option to put it on “fixed” and lower down the fan speed to 30.

Please let me know if that make it any better.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
            backslash

Thank you for your response. I know it's not fanless, but there is an option in BIOS that says "fanless". What is it supposed to do?

• 3. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
              N.Scott.Pearson

It turns the blower off when temperatures are below specific levels. Once temperatures rise above these levels, the blower is restarted.

...S

• 4. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                backslash

Thank you. Is there a way to see what the temperature is cause as of now it never turns the fan off, even when the CPU utilization is about 1%.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                  N.Scott.Pearson

There are lots of apps and gadgets that can display processor core temperatures. Check out the AIDA64 or HWiNFO64 applications.

Unfortunately, because the EC used in these NUCs is so new, no applications yet have support for exposing the other temperature sensors (or voltage sensors or fan speed sensors or fan speed controllers).

...S

• 6. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                    fasmide

Hi

Im running the nuc7i5bnk and im pretty sure there is a bug to be fixed in your bios / firmware / visual ... something...

Ive tried adjusting almost all the settings in the "cooling" section and the nuc does the same thing: 99% of the time its at around 3700 rpms and then 1% it slows down (not completly) for a few seconds and then jumps back up. Ive tried setting temperatures up and down and the nuc does not respond to these settings - its absolutely fixed, it seems to run at 3700 rpms as soon as the temperature raises above 39c or so, keeping the cpu at a max temperature (as far as ive seen) of 43...

None of the preset modes does any difference - none of the manual settings does any difference - and yes i did do a few load defaults between trying every possible setting in your bios

Ive updated the bios, with BN0046 which as far as i can see is the latest - no difference

Im running ubuntu 17.04 with its default 4.10.0-20-generic kernel but also tried to update to the latest mainline (4.11) with no difference...

Memory: Crucial - DDR4 - 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB - SO DIMM 260-PIN - 2400 MHz / PC4-19200 - CL17 - 1.2

SSD: Intel 600p 256gb

I hope you'll be able to reproduce this as it really annoying to use this machine in an otherwise quiet room

• 7. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                      Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information, in this case let’s wait for a new BIOS release that hopefully will solve issues like this but I cannot promise that it will be on the next released.

Regards,

Ivan U.

• 8. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                        SpaceAgeHero

I'm running my NUC7i5BNK with the latest BIOS and can totally confirm what you describe.

This can't be intentional!

However I've increased max temp of CPU and memory a little and reduced fan duty cycle.

Now the blower runs at 2700 RPM all the time which is acceptable and only increases RPM when there is heavy CPU load.

But the presets should really be revised!

• 9. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                          Intel Corporation

Thank you for reporting this issue to us, we will look into this problem.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 10. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                            SomeoneElseDunno

I can confirm that my NUC7i5BNB is also a blowdryer.

Mine actually gets completely silent(fan off I guess) when my CPU is at ~1%, but even just opening a new tab in Microsoft Edge spins up the fan like crazy. Also it happens INSTANTLY when the CPU is anything but idle, it doesn't just start spinning up after a moment when the CPU gets a little warmer.

Did anyone of you guys figure out some better settings? I don't quite understand how you set the maximum temp. I only see a minimum temp in the BIOS.

Also Intel, is there a fix on the way?

• 11. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                              N.Scott.Pearson

You don't set a maximum temperature. You set a minimum temperature and a duty cycle increment to be imposed for each degree that you are above the minimum temperature, The maximum temperature is thus the point where the duty cycle for the fan reaches 100%. Read this post that I did earlier today, as well as the (linked) post from a few days ago; they explain things more fully: Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level

...S

• 12. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                                rguevara

Hello backslash,

Did you try the recommendations posted here Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level by Scott?

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 13. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                                  Dave2001

I also have same fan noise problem.  I hope there is a fix soon.  Otherwise everything OK.

System:  NUC7i5BNK - Crucial 16GB Kit CT2K8G4SFS824A - Samsung 960 EVO 500GB - Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks

Dave

• 14. Re: Intel NUC7i5BNB fan noise
                                    Intel Corporation

I’m wondering if anyone of you tried the suggestion by rguevara from the link above, please see post 7 posted by N. Scott Pearson.

Regards,

Ivan U.