7 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 4:42 PM by jfiggins

NUC7i5BNK wireless is not always available

jfiggins

I'm having an issue with my NUC7i5BNK (0045 bios) where occasionally the wireless card isn't available. I'm running Linux with the 4.11 kernel and when it's not available, lspci doesn't show it, so this is deeper than a driver/module issue.

I'm trying to figure out if this is an issue with just my NUC (and should I RMA it) or if this is a known issue that there might be a software fix for.

Has anyone else encountered this? Besides the wireless on/off setting in the bios, is there any other setting I should be checking?

• 1. Re: NUC7i5BNK wireless is not always available
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello jfiggins,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having intermittent issues with the wireless card, however; since this is a relatively new hardware, drivers may not be available for all the operating systems, this Intel® NUC is validated to work only with Windows® 10.

I recommend you to test the system in a Windows® 10 environment to see if the problem persists.

You can check the following article for further information:

Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
          JC

• 2. Re: NUC7i5BNK wireless is not always available
            jfiggins

Hi JC,

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think you got what I'm saying. A driver/module issue will cause the wireless to not work at all, but this is intermittent (a cold boot is necessary to fix it). (Even if this was a driver/module issue, this NUC is using the 8265 chip, which according to Linux* Support for Intel® Wireless Adapters has been supported since kernel 4.6 and I'm running 4.11). Also, it's a little irritating being told to change OS's, especially when your own documentation (Linux* Support for Intel® NUC) lists Linux support for this particular NUC!

The lspci command dumps the output from the pci bus, so if something isn't listed there, then it's not plugged into the system (or at least, the system is making it appear as-if it was gone).

But just for completeness, I went ahead and installed Windows 10. The first three times I booted, the network card did appear in Device Manager, but the fourth time, it was missing.

This is almost guaranteed to be either a hardware issue or a BIOS issue. And I just need your help to determine which one it is so I know if I need to RMA the system or wait for the next BIOS update.

• 3. Re: NUC7i5BNK wireless is not always available
              Intel Corporation

Hello jfiggins,

Thank you for the clarification.

Can you please let me know if you are having random issues with the Bluetooth as well or if it is straightly related to the wireless?

Best Regards,
              JC

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: NUC7i5BNK wireless is not always available
                N.Scott.Pearson

Let me say a few things,

• I have NUC7i3BNK and NUC7i7BNH. I have never seen the Wireless device disappear. I am inclined to say you should RMA your NUC as defective.
                • Since Wireless and Bluetooth are devices provided by the same hardware module, I would not be surprised to see both disappearing together. Still, it is certainly possible for one to fail but not the other.
                • Let's be clear: while there is some helpful information regarding the use of various Linux distributions within the linked document, this is the result of ad-hoc testing and user feedback. Intel DOES NOT formally validate any Linux distribution on any of the NUC products and (thus) none of the Linux distributions are considered supported on any NUC. If you think it says that, you better go read it again; it certainly does not!

...S

• 5. Re: NUC7i5BNK wireless is not always available
                  jfiggins

Hmm, I was experiencing the issue today, but I saw that there was a new BIOS available, 0046. I installed it a couple of hours ago and since then, I haven't been able to reproduce the failure. I've rebooted about a dozen times, and so far it's looking good. I'm worried that this may just be luck, since the release notes for the BIOS don't explicitly mention fixing this.

I'll report back tomorrow; if I still haven't reproduced it by then, I'll consider this resolved.

• 6. Re: NUC7i5BNK wireless is not always available
                    Intel Corporation

Hi jfiggins,

Thank you for the update, I am glad to hear the issue seems to be resolved.

I will keep monitoring this.

Best Regards,
                    JC

• 7. Re: NUC7i5BNK wireless is not always available
                      jfiggins

Yes, the BIOS seems to have fixed it. If anyone else is seeing the same issue, please try BIOS 0046.

1 of 1 people found this helpful