10 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2017 2:14 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz

mayonnaise

jayburd asked this question a while ago but there was no conclusion:

nuc5i5myhe dual 4k display

I'm also looking at connecting NUC5i5MYHE to two 4k displays.

Interestingly, the monitor in question in the above post is UP3214Q which requires MST in order to work at 60hz.

Therefore if one did succeed in running two of those at 4k@60hz then that would mean the NUC is capable of simultaneously connecting 4 monitors.

This exceeds the maximum number of display supported by the integrated graphics - I wonder if this is indeed what the problem is.

If this is the case does that mean I can still connect two 4k monitors with SST at 60hz - for instance two Dell P2415Q?

• 1. Re: NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello mayonnaise,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

You can check the following document for the max supported amount of displays and the resolutions:

Intel® NUC Board NUC5i5MYBE Technical Product Specification > Page 24

I hope this information helps.

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
          JC

• 2. Re: NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz
            mayonnaise

Hi,

Thanks for the spec. Though I did check the file you refer to and that's precisely why I asked the question.

The spec only says dual DP 1.2 at 4k@60hz should work without providing any clue why jayburd failed in running his two UP3214Q.

Without clarification whether it's simply because of the MST issue or if there is any inherent reason why this would not work it's impossible to figure out if this is going to work with two P2415Q.

Sure I can make the purchase then try but I might well end up with a 4k monitor hanging around doing nothing...

• 3. Re: NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz
              Intel Corporation

Hi mayonnaise,

I couldn't tell why the configuration you are referring to didn't work.

I found this information from Dell that you may find useful.

The DP cable that goes from the Intel® NUC to the 1st monitor must be 1.2 high speed compliant.
              With 2 monitors connected by MST you can get up to 2560x1600 at 60 Hz.
              You can also use the 2nd DP to connect a monitor and set its resolution to 3840x 2160 @60Hz.

Best Regards,
              JC

• 4. Re: NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz
                mayonnaise

Well, this is irrelevant - MST does not necessarily mean daisy chaining!

If you actually spent a couple of minutes reading the previous question you will be convinced jayburd did NOT daisy chain his two monitors.

Nor is this what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is connecting two 4k monitors to SEPARATE DP 1.2 ports.

The questions is whether replacing two UP3214Q (which supports 4k@60hz in MST mode) with two P2415Q (which supports 4k@60hz in SST mode) will solve the problem.

• 5. Re: NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz
                  Intel Corporation

Hi mayonnaise,

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I read jayburd tested configurations and also read both UP3214Q & P2415Q users' manuals, and to be honest with you, I was unable to find any reason why he was unable to use both displays at the same time, the only components that come to my mind are the DP cables because they weren't confirmed.

You should be able to display 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz in both monitors, no matter if they are UP3214Q (with DP 1.2 enabled) or P2415Q.

Regards,
                  JC

• 6. Re: NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz
                    mayonnaise

Thank you for digging into the problem!

There is a potential reason why UP3214Q might not work:

The way 4k@60hz work in MST mode is by splitting the screen into two (1920x2160@60hz?) halves then the image is merged at the monitor.

Therefore while there are only two physical monitors each monitor is running on two streams this effectively gives 4 logical monitors simutaneously.

Now the spec for the integrated graphics says it only supports a maximum of 3 monitors. So if you have the resource to check with the people who have precise information what this means? Besides sylvia said they escalated the problem to the engineers so what was the outcome?

That said, I'm not writing a Master's thesis on monitor (in)compatibility. If you have the facility to actually test two P2415Q or any recent 4k monitors with SST support it will be very very helpful.

• 7. Re: NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz
                      mayonnaise

BTW as long as what jayburd describe was credible the DP cable could be ruled out. He had no problem running any of those two monitors as long as it other one is not up. The problem is pronounced only when he try to enable MST on both monitors.

• 8. Re: NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz
                        Intel Corporation

Hi mayonnaise,

Thank you for your input.

I did some further research and tested the following:

Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i5MYHE
                        BIOS: 0035
                        Latest Intel® HD Graphics 5500 Version: 15.40.34.4624 (Latest) Date: 3/30/2017
                        Windows® 10 Pro 64 Bit
                        HP Z27s & LG 55UH8500
                        Straight video connection from the Intel® NUC to the HP Z27S and used an adapter from mDP to HDMI to connect the LG TV.

I was able to display 3840x2160 @60 Hz on both displays at the same time.

Best Regards,
                        JC

• 9. Re: NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz
                          mayonnaise

Many thanks for the help and for testing the displays!

• 10. Re: NUC5i5MYHE dual 4k@60hz
                            Intel Corporation

Hello mayonnaise,

You are more than welcome. Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
                            JC