4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 1:07 PM by Intel Corporation

Connection to Bluetooth Device blocks active WIFI Connection

Morten

Hi there,

I´m using the Edsion (Yocto 1.7.2,  source-files "edison-src-ww25.5-15.tgz) to generate a lot of data which is transferred either via UDP or TCP over an active WIFI-Connection.

Further I´d like to automatically search for bluetoothdevices and establish a connection to a known MAC- address. Generally this works fine.

Today I realized whenever I´m trying to connect to a bluetoothdevice (using bluetoothctrl, "connect MAC-address") the whole network communication blocks. Initially I thought it would be a ****** implementation on my side. So I used bluetoothctrl in an extra session - just to see the same problem.

I´m aware that bluetooth and WIFI are using the same chip - but shouldn´t these things be WELL separated from each ohter?

Is there a work arround? I can´t effort have a blocked network connection (for 1-2s) each time I´m trying to connect a bluetooth device. The whole thing is rather timecritical as I´m producing realtime data....

Please HELP ME

• 1. Re: Connection to Bluetooth Device blocks active WIFI Connection
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Morten,

Thanks for reaching out!

The first thing I would like to ask you is if you are able to see this behavior also on the latest image. If it doesn't, I would suggest you to transfer your project into this version. 

The second thing I would like to ask you is if you can share the steps to replicate this issue, I would like to see if I observe the same behavior on my Edison.

I hope this information helps you,
          Pedro M.

• 2. Re: Connection to Bluetooth Device blocks active WIFI Connection
            Intel Corporation

Hello Morten,

Do you have any updates about this?

Pedro M.

• 3. Re: Connection to Bluetooth Device blocks active WIFI Connection
              Morten

To reproduce this error, try setting up a Peer to Peer UDP-Connection and send some data every 10ms. Unfortunatelly I´m not allowed to post some sample code because the data transfer is not my code. I´m rather trying to connect the bluetooth device.

I wasn´t able to upgrade to the latest firmware because it seems we´re running some special libraries (or something) which would force us to stick with this version atm.

But it rather looks like a problem of the wifi/BT combochip. I´ve done some reading and aparently (what a suprise....) BT and WIFI are both working on the same frequency band (2.4Ghz). Assuming a common antenna of the chip makes problems appart. Well... you would guess that the manufacturer was thinking about such issues... but to me it looks like they didn´t - which is probably not a problem in daily life..... (OMG- no internet for 2s -> we all are going to die!!! -> NO of course we´re not...) but is a big issue for us atm, like.... trying to connect every 10s to a device which causing a data-stream meltdown for 1-2s when transfering reallife data makes the whole system completely unsuable...

Well - suggested online solution.... switch to the 5Ghz Band for the Wifi connection. In the beginning I was thinking... well... right .. but indeed it worked. So different frequency- probably separate antenna.... works. Of course now there is the funny part trying to cope with the reduced signal range....

Is there an option to attach a powerful (... if possible not toooo energyconsuming) extra antenna to the edison?

Or does anybody know a 5Ghz router with some ... "extra power" (sending and LISTENING of course)

Or of course... Are there some hidden settings that enable real duality of bluetooth and wifi at the 2.4Ghz band?

Any help or ideas would be very appreciated!!!

• 4. Re: Connection to Bluetooth Device blocks active WIFI Connection
                Intel Corporation

This is what I tested:

1. I set my Edison to continuously send data over the network and kept a log of this. I'm using the 24GHz band to see if I can replicate the issue.
                2. I set the Edison to scan the network traffic (tcpdump) and kept a log of this.
                3. Plugged in a second Edison, set up Bluetooth and made it discoverable.
                4. Setup Bluetooth on first Edison and pair/connect to the second one.
                5. Check logs to see if connection was lost.

With this test I was not able to see any lost connections at any time, I was able to see at least one connection every second. Do you think this test is appropriate for this issue? In case it is not, then I believe I'll need a little bit more information on how to replicate this step by step.

Regarding your question about the antenna or router, I'm not aware of any device that meets those requirements. So, in this case you'll have to try them on your own. However, I encourage you to share your results here, other users might find them helpful.

Let me know.
                Pedro M.