1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2017 3:36 PM by RC81

Nuc7i7bnh noise level

Offbeatmammal

A bit surprised how loud the nuc7i7bnh is when the CPU is working hard (currently running an ffmpeg transcode) and with the fans spun up it's kinda loud...

Any suggestions to either improve the cooling so it's quieter (without risking damage) and/or a noise dampening dust enclosure that will solve the problem?

• 1. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In order to try to reduce the noise from the NUC, we can try to set the fan to quiet, you just need to enter the BIOS, select “Advanced” then look for the “Cooling” tab and select “Quiet”. I test the Intel® NUC7I7BNH in our lab and I noticed there is a noise difference when the fan is set on quiet.

Is the NUC located next to an object that might caused static on the NUC?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto

• 2. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
            Offbeatmammal

thanks! I will try ... just need to re-attach to an HDMI monitor so I can get back to BIOS settings (it's set up headless at the moment) - will report back

loving the device so far, amazing how much computer is packed into this small box. I do worry a little about dust, so if anyone has any suggestions there (which would help noise, as long as I can keep it cool) that would be great

• 3. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
              Intel Corporation

, You are welcome. Thank you very much for letting us that information.

Perfect, once you get the chance please try that option in BIOS and let us know the results.

Yes, it is a really good device, and as long as you keep it on a ventilated area there should not be any problems with the dust. Also, you can always clean it for example twice a month to make sure it is not accumulating dust.

I also encourage all the peers viewing this thread that if they have more suggestion about this matter to post all their comments on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto

• 4. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                Intel Corporation

, I just wanted to check if you were able set the fan to "quiet" in the BIOS and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,
                Alberto

• 5. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                  Offbeatmammal

sorry for slow response, wasn't in the same location as the machine, and then discovered I can't see the BIOS screen when connected to the TV where it is (though Windows displays just fine! Have done the HDMI update, but didn't help) so had to get a monitor...

the BIOS setting for 'quiet' fan has helped at low usage, but transcode jobs are pushing it to 90%+ CPU usage and it does get a little noisy (and the CPU, according to Speedfan, sits around 83C when it's working)

I notice in the specs that the lid was removable/replaceable ... don't suppose there's one with a big, slow, quiet fan...?

[edit:] looks like they do exist for 5th/6th gen NUCs ...but out of stock and no indication if they fit the 7th Gen: Intel NUC 5th and 6th Gen Add on Fan Blower LID

• 6. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                    airforce509th

I have the same issue with the fan noise (nuc7i7bnh). I have updated to the latest BIOs (46) and still it is the same. My fan runs at around 3700 rpm all the time even when the system is idle. Also no matter what setting in the BIOs I change it to the fan remains the same rpm. I even tried fan off just for a test and it stays on. For now I only have been using the system for web browsing. Is this normal? Thanks

• 7. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Jeremy,

The GO-RITE lid (which, BTW, can also be purchased through MicroSATACables (though I see they are out of stock as well)) utilizes a blower, not a fan. This makes it similar to the one used in the NUC itself. I don't see this being helpful without (also) creating even more noise (blowers, by their nature, require higher speeds to generate the same airflow as a fan at lower speeds). If you had a lid that included a fan (instead of a blower), this would not replace the blower, but it could lower the cooling requirements and keep the blower at lower speeds.

Brian,

Here is my recommendation for the programming that you should be using:

FSC Config.bmp

This is still going to be louder while the processor is made busy, of course. I recommend that you look at this previous post of mine: Re: Lautstärke Lüfter INTEL NUC? It talks about the overall situation and how it may be mitigated. It also explains more about how the configuration parameters are actually used.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you very much to for the information posted previously. I hope it will be useful for all the peers on this thread.

: The rpm of the fan will be automatically adjust depending on the work load or processes running on the NUC, so, to answer your question, it is not normal for the fan to run at 3700 rpm all the time.

: No problem at all, thank you very much for letting us know that information. Please let me know if you are still interested in purchasing the LID, in order for me to confirm if it is compatible with the NUC7.

Regards
                        Alberto R

• 9. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                          Offbeatmammal

thanks N.Scott.Pearson, great info.

Alberto - given it's a blower, not a fan I might continue looking (and maybe try a 3D-Print DIY!) but would be good for reference to know if it does fit the NUC7 (maybe if Intel are talking to them, suggest a fan as an option for the noise convers raise above)

• 10. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                            Intel Corporation

: Thank you for providing that information.

Sure, I did further research and actually that LID will not be compatible with the NUC7. However, according to their information, they are working in building a new LID that will be fully compatible with the NUC7.
                            To gather more details about this matter, please get in contact with them directly:
                            www.gorite.com/contact-us

Regards,
                            Alberto R

• 11. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                              airforce509th

Hi Alberto,

If it is not normal for the fan to run at around 3700 rpm and it does not respond to changes in the BIOs settings, then what could be the issue here?

Another thing it has been doing while in idle is it gets loud then winds down then goes loud again up and down. This too is very distracting.

Thanks for the responses.

• 12. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                                Intel Corporation

Hi : You are welcome.

If after trying all the recommendations provided on this thread the problem persists, then the issue could be related to a hardware problem with the NUC itself. Remember that the NUC has 3 years of warranty with Intel and if you are interested in the option of replacing it, you can either check with the place of purchase on their warranty terms, or you can always get in contact directly with Intel:
                                Chat support; http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat,

For phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:
                                EMEA contact information: http://intel.ly/28QeAF3
                                APAC contact information: http://intel.ly/1ITfjUF
                                LAR contact information: http://intel.ly/29c0rW4
                                North America: Phone Number  1-916-377-7000, Monday - Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Regards,
                                Alberto

• 13. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                                  jonat

I have a new NUC7i5BNH and see the same issue described here, but only AFTER I updated the BIOS to the latest version (July 3). Previously it had a March BIOS and if I set the fan mode to Quiet the fan would slow down and turn off when the load was light. Now, even with it set to Quiet, the fan stays at a constant 3700RPM even though the CPU temp is WELL below the "minimum". It sure looks to me as if this BIOS introduced a bug here.

None of the suggested settings make any difference in the fan speed.

• 14. Re: Nuc7i7bnh noise level
                                    Intel Corporation

Please submit your inquiry on a new thread, an agent will further assist you with the specific configuration you are using to try to fix the problem:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Regards,
                                    Alberto R

1 2 Previous Next