14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2017 5:52 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH

Terry_Bogard

Hey guys I think I have a problem with my new NUC7i7BNH, and I hope that you can clarify some things.

I have installed a Samsung 960 EVO and 16GB - 2133Mhz - Kingston HyperX ram in the NUC

The problem is that, when I installs programs etc. or if I execute a stress test via RealTemp, the CPU rises to about 93 degrees celsius and that way too much.

I know it is in a small cabinet, and that isn't ideal, when it comes to heat. But when I compare this NUC to another one I had (NUC6i5SYH), the fan in the new one is by far louder than the older NUC.

I have tried a couple of things:

I have tried disabling the turbo boost feature, which helped a bit. The cpu only got up to arround 88 degrees celsius in the stress test.

I also tried setting the fans to quiet, balanced and even fanless and NON of them had any effect on the fan at all. I mean the fanless setting didn't make the fan stop at all. It just kept on going at the same rpm's all the time. The temperature were also about the same regardless of what setting I choose.

I have also tried chaging the settings in the Power section in the BIOS but non of that had any effect either.

I have ofcourse updated the bios, drivers and I am running Windows 10 64bit which is also fully updated

But it seems that these 7'th gen processors are having problems, since more people are reporting about the same issue.

You can read about it here:

Gamers Report Core i7-7700(K) temperature spikes

Now what I would love to know is: What is Intel going to correct this problem? And how long wil this take.

If anyone else have found a solution or work around to this problem, by all means, post it here

• 1. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Terry_Bogard,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC community.

I would like to share with you a couple facts regarding this situation, one of the first points to mention is that running a stress test is a CPU intensive task; so it is expected that the frequency and temperatures increase. This is since all resources are being used in this task; therefore, the processor and components will work to their limits. The second point is that your processor TJUNCTION 100°C, this means that any number below this temperature is completely fine. And, like mentioned before stress tests will take the processor to higher temperatures, so it seems like your computer is behaving as expected.

The situation you are reporting does not seem to be a spiking issue; however, I would like to get some details regarding it. You mentioned that when installing a program the temperature increases; which programs are you referring to? 

Here you can check the TJUNCTION; Intel® Core™ i7-7567U Processor (4M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz) Product Specifications 

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
            Terry_Bogard

Okay I need to be a little bit more specific about what programs I am using that makes these heat spikes.

Besides the stress test (Which I am well aware of makes the temp rise a lot) I have used Windows Update, Installing Intels own drivers, Office 2016, VLC player, Cyberlink PowerDVD 16, (Watching movies from 480p to 1080p), Extracted files with

WinRAR. All of these programs makes the temperature rise to around 93 degrees celsious. And yes you say that, as long  as cpu temp stays below the 100 C it will be fine.

I think that there is two problems in that answer. One is that, because of the temp rising like it does, the NUC makes A LOT of noise and seriouly, you can't really open a program without the fan starting up, even though it is a small program, which doesn't make that much use of the cpu. I have tried to deactivate the Turbo Boost in the BIOS and this has makes it a little bit more "bearable". It still reaches 87 C from time to time and at idle it goes down to around 52 C. My Desktop has an Intel 5930K I7 cpu installed. When it is idle it is around 39 C. Even though the difference in the form factor in my NUC and my desktop is big I still think that the difference in the two PC's are too much. I shouldn't be forced to deactivate the turbo, to make the NUC work a bit better, when it should be working properly from the start and with the turbo boost turned on. Why pay for something that you in the end need to deactivate, to make it work better???

The other thing that I think is wrong with that answer, that you gave me, is, what about the NUC's lifespan? We know for a fact that heat is something that wears down all kinds of electronic parts, I really don't think that this cpu is going to last that long with those temperatures. Ireally do hope that Intel is able to fix this problem, because more and more people seems to be having these problems with the 7th gen processors.

Even though you say that 93 C is "fine", I disagree. It is only 7 C from the 100 C which is the limit. That in my eyes is NOT "fine"

Intel Responds to Core i7-7700K Overheating Issue, Cluelessly Suggests We Stop Overclocking - ExtremeTech

Regards

Pete

• 3. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
              Intel Corporation

Pete, I understand your concern.

The spiking situation you mentioned is for the Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.50 GHz) Product Specifications which is a desktop and unlock processor. We have several Intel® NUC7 running in our labs and none of them have shown this behavior. The fan behavior you are experiencing is expected, this because all the resources are being use in that specific task meaning that the unit will work to its limit in order achieve it. Regarding the span concern, my above comment is also based on this, any number below this temperature is completely fine. This is because it;s in the product specification, if we were talking about a higher number or a number that is not specified on the product specification or datasheet the lifespan of the Intel® NUC Kit would be compromised.

If you still have concerns regarding your processors performance, we can run the Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool which will let us know the health of it. Attach your results once done.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                Terry_Bogard

Okay so I did what you asked me to do and the test FAILED. So I would say, that my concern with this product is justified.

Although it is the 7700K processor that is mentioned, that doesn't mean that the Core i7-7567U can't have the same kind of problems.

But I am curious about the NUC7i7 that you have running in your labs. What are the temperatures in those units?

The company where I bought this NUC, also tells me, that there are other customers, besides me, who have contacted them about this problem. That leads me to believe, that this is a defect in this product-line and not just my unit, that is the problem.

So my question is, what is Intel going to do about this?

Long1.jpgLong2.jpg

• 5. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                  Intel Corporation

Thank you for those reports.

I can share with you my report for one the units, find it attached.

The test fail is not expected, and I sure understand your concern. Regarding the heat spiking issue this is one of the first reports we have received, and we are paying close attention to it. However, the thing here is that your temperatures are below the specification so for us is hard to diagnose an issue where all the parameters are expected based on the datasheets and product specification documents.

I would like to recommend two things that can help to address this situation, please find them below;

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                    Intel Corporation

Here is my report.

Regards,
                    Amy.

• 7. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                      N.Scott.Pearson

As I have said on a number of occasions, I do not think much of the preconfigured fan speed control settings. This is what I use:

FSC Config.bmp

With this configuration in place, I do not see any overheating or unexpected/undue blower (it's not a fan!) noise. I certainly did not need to disable Turbo. Here are the results that I am seeing:

Combined Display.jpg

Based upon these results, I suspect you have an issue with the effectiveness of your cooling solution. You may want to get it replaced.

...S

• 8. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Oh, BTW, I also changed the BIOS configuration from Maximum Performance to Balanced Performance.

...S

• 9. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                          Intel Corporation

Pete, hope you were able to follow the suggestions mentioned above.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 10. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                            Terry_Bogard

I have and thank you for the suggestions.

I returned the unit (NUC7i7BNH) and bought a NUC7i5BNH instead. I thought that since this "only" had a Core i5 processor in it, which is clocked lower, the cpu itself wouldn't get as hot as the

other i7 processor.

But the problem with the heatspikes persisted in the new unit too. I have now turned the Turbo Boost off in the BIOS in this unit too, and I am thinking of buying a fanless cabinet for the unit

instead.

Akasa Thermal Solution

So yeah, I think that Intel has underestimated the heat problem in these small units and I think that they should consider another design for the next gen NUC's. Either that or they should try

figuring out why the 7th gen processors are getting this hot.

The older gen of NUC's (NUC6i5SYH) NEVER got this hot, even if I performed the same stress test as I did with the NUC7i7BNH/7i5BNH unit.

When I get the fanless cabinet for the new NUC, I will post my findings here and see if this helps the heat problem

• 11. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                              Intel Corporation

Thank you for letting us know this.

Please feel free to share those results here.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 12. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                                N.Scott.Pearson

Peter,

Did you try the BIOS fan speed control settings I detailed in post #7? You should not see these spikes with these settings...

...S

• 13. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                                  Tom_ZJP

"

Oh, BTW, I also changed the BIOS configuration from Maximum Performance to Balanced Performance.

...S

"

Hi Scott,

Where exactly is this setting located in the BIOS?

Thank you so much

• 14. Re: Heat spikes in NUC7i7BNH
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

Cooling parameters are found by clicking on Advanced and then selecting the Cooling tab.

Performance settings are found by clicking on Advanced  (if you haven't already) and then selecting the Power tab. Uncheck Max Performance Enabled and then check Balanced Enabled.

...S