3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2017 8:29 AM by Intel Corporation

Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?

happyguy82

Hello,

I already have a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe Primary HDD so there's no point accelerating my boot drive.

My secondary HDD is a mechanical WD Black 4TB that is currently being accelerated by a SATA SSD using Intel RST. I would like to change this so it is accelerated with the Optane module rather than the SATA SSD. My question is, can Optane be used to accelerate any drive or just the primary one? All the product info seems to suggest using it to speed up the primary boot drive only and I want to be sure before purchasing a module.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello happyguy82,

You're correct, Intel® Optane™ can only be used to accelerate one Windows® 10 SATA boot drive.

Best regards,
          Carlos A.

• 2. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
            happyguy82

Thanks Carlos.

Can 2 Optane memory sticks be used to accelerate 1 Primary Windows 10 SATA boot drive? For avoidance of doubt I'm referring to purchasing 2 x 32GB Optane accelerators and using both of them instead of just 1, to accelerate a single HDD.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello happyguy82,

Only one module is supported per system. A second may be installed, but will only serve as a small storage device (using Intel® Optane™ Memory as an SSD is possible but not supported).

It may not sound like much, but thanks to the way that our caching algorithm works, one 16 GB module is usually plenty for most users. The 32 GB sticks are actually intended for "power users who often use a variety of data-intensive applications such as prosumers and gamers."

We hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to let us know.

Best regards,
              Carlos A.