8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2017 3:08 PM by Intel Corporation

Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?

happyguy82

Hello,

I already have a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe Primary HDD so there's no point accelerating my boot drive.

My secondary HDD is a mechanical WD Black 4TB that is currently being accelerated by a SATA SSD using Intel RST. I would like to change this so it is accelerated with the Optane module rather than the SATA SSD. My question is, can Optane be used to accelerate any drive or just the primary one? All the product info seems to suggest using it to speed up the primary boot drive only and I want to be sure before purchasing a module.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello happyguy82,

You're correct, Intel® Optane™ can only be used to accelerate one Windows® 10 SATA boot drive.

Best regards,
          Carlos A.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
            happyguy82

Thanks Carlos.

Can 2 Optane memory sticks be used to accelerate 1 Primary Windows 10 SATA boot drive? For avoidance of doubt I'm referring to purchasing 2 x 32GB Optane accelerators and using both of them instead of just 1, to accelerate a single HDD.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
              Intel Corporation

Hello happyguy82,

Only one module is supported per system. A second may be installed, but will only serve as a small storage device (using Intel® Optane™ Memory as an SSD is possible but not supported).

It may not sound like much, but thanks to the way that our caching algorithm works, one 16 GB module is usually plenty for most users. The 32 GB sticks are actually intended for "power users who often use a variety of data-intensive applications such as prosumers and gamers."

We hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to let us know.

Best regards,
              Carlos A.

• 4. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
                sdekooter

Really in 2017 there is absolutely no place for a 70 euro boot drive enhancer because every enthusiast will already have a 500 GB SSD installed. However currently my 2 TB gaming disk would significantly benefit from Optane. I would purchase Optane just to speed up that gaming disk, as a 2 TB SSD is at least 700 dollars. Now you are telling us we can't use Optane on a drive of our choosing. Missed opportunity! This is a terrible oversight on the part of Intel.

• 5. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
                  aliquis

@sdekooter: It's hard to not feel like any software for Windows could had brought that functionality as "a hack" to Windows letting you mix any two drives you want any way you want. Or maybe it's harder with Windows because maybe one don't get as much control but at-least in say Linux or BSD instead.

• 6. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
                    PaulT72

I have to say I feel mislead by your marketing material.

I am currently building a new workstation for work.  I have already spent a great deal of money by purchasing an Intel i9-7940 CPU, Intel 480GB Optane 900p for my Boot/Apps drive and in addition an Intel Optane 32GB Module in order to speed up the three 10TB Western Digital Gold disks that are used to handle the data that I process.  Now I find out that it will only work with the boot/os drive and no other drive.

Nowhere in your original FAQ document does it mention that this is the case.  In no review that I read when making my decisions did it mention this either.

I have to say that I feel cheated.  Is there any way that my Optane module can be made to work with other hard disks other than the BOOT?  If there is not then I have to agree with the other posts, this is a very stupid oversight and a missed opportunity.  It basically means that there is no market for the module at all.  ALL potential customers will already have an SSD as their boot.

I hope there is some way you can change this, if not then I have a useless 32GB Optane M.2 for sale if anyone wants one.

• 7. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
                      PaulT72

p.s.  I would appreciate someone from Intel contact me privately regarding this.  My company builds high end workstations and if Optane could be used to cache mechanical hard disks it would be a very popular product for my customers.

• 8. Re: Can Optane accelerate Secondary HDD?
                        Intel Corporation

Hello PaulT72,

Thanks for your reply. Please check your private messages.

Best regards,
                        Eugenio F.