Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Will Intel® RealSense™ Developer Kit F200 be able to run on a laptop with Windows 10 Home Edition?

LChen88
Beginner

Recently, I got an ASUS UX510UX-0081A7500U laptop with Windows 10 Home Edition. However, the Intel® RealSense™ Developer Kit F200 failed to initialize while running the sample program of the Intel® RealSense™ SDK.

Will Intel® RealSense™ Developer Kit F200 be able to run on a laptop with Windows 10 Home Edition?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There should not be a problem with Windows 10 Home. I am running an F200 Developer Kit camera right now on an Acer Aspire ES 15 laptop with Windows 10 Home. If there is a problem with the camera and the laptop meets RealSense's specifications for that camera model (a minimum of a 2014-era 4th generation Intel Core "Haswell" processor in the case of the F200), it is often an issue with the USB ports not reliably supplying the camera with enough power.

For many (though not everyone), using a mains-powered USB hub with the camera instead of plugging it directly into the PC's USB port fixes the problem. Mains powered hubs can be found on stores such as Amazon for around $15 by searching for 'powered hub usb 3.0'.

You can find guides for troubleshooting camera issues at the top of the front page of this forum.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There should not be a problem with Windows 10 Home. I am running an F200 Developer Kit camera right now on an Acer Aspire ES 15 laptop with Windows 10 Home. If there is a problem with the camera and the laptop meets RealSense's specifications for that camera model (a minimum of a 2014-era 4th generation Intel Core "Haswell" processor in the case of the F200), it is often an issue with the USB ports not reliably supplying the camera with enough power.

For many (though not everyone), using a mains-powered USB hub with the camera instead of plugging it directly into the PC's USB port fixes the problem. Mains powered hubs can be found on stores such as Amazon for around $15 by searching for 'powered hub usb 3.0'.

You can find guides for troubleshooting camera issues at the top of the front page of this forum.

LChen88
Beginner

Thank you very much. I'll try it.

idata
Employee

Hello all

First of all what a well-organised forum fairplay to Intel.

My question is similar I hope it gets seen rather than start a new thread.

I'm a disabled user with poor hand function who originally purchased my developer kit F200 a while back with a view to using it with the Xcessity Kineticmouse.

I appreciate that you clever guys have moved on to newer and better development kits and newer and better SDK progression but if I can use it rather than fork out more money I'd like to try.

The reason I didn't use it after purchase was my USB laptop did not support USB three which is fundamental, and a basic schoolboy error.

Anyway I have a new computer and I'm giving it a go again.

I have tried to troubleshoot it but there's quite a few variables that mean I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

First of all the computer spec is fine it this year's Dell Inspiron 13 500 series with Intel's i5-825OU CPU @160 GHz with 8 GB of RAM which has two USB three ports. (Fantastic machine)

I plug the device in Windows updates the drivers and it displays as Intel Realsense 3D camera (front F 200) RGB.

Which is fine the camera works.

I had hoped originally that the internal WebCam was a Realsense device and when I contacted Dell yesterday to identify the hardware I had the comical situation of the tech support not being able to tell me what hardware their product had inside.

Eventually they got back to me to say it was a Realtek 3D camera which basically allows me to do the cool Windows Hello but not the clever stuff that Realsense power offers which is a shame as it would be a much needed solution than plugging in the external F200.

So my first question is is it compatible with Windows 10 creator edition.

The second question is do I have to find the original SDK (currently downloading it from a mirror site )as the link on the Kineticmouse website in-store guide warns me, not to install DCM 1.3 then takes me to the Realsense developer page but states that this SDK is now out of commission download the new SDK versions.

I have tried to ask the developer of Kineticmouse these questions by the way but that forum/support seems to have gone silent for whatever reason which is a shame but I will never criticise a developer creating opportunities for disabled people to access computers.

Any help will be gratefully received will post this and then install the original SDK and see if that makes a difference if it all works I will report back as although I've kind of answer my own questions it may be of help to someone.

Cheers Sean

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Welcome to the forum, Sean!

- Yes, your processor is fine for the F200.

- In theory, the F200 should work fine with the Creators Update or the new Fall Creators Update. I say "in theory" because as you may have noticed on the forum, some unfortunate users do have their cameras affected for unknown reasons by their Windows installation.

- The page linked to below has links to the original 2014 SDK (from Intel China) and a link to the Creative page with old F200 camera drivers. Please be advised that use of these old SDKs is not recommended by Intel because of potential security vulnerabilities in their web component. So use of the 2014 SDK will be at your own risk.

I would recommend trying the '2016 R2' SDK first, which is the oldest version that Intel views as being okay for use (though it is recommended you still avoid using the web functions). You can download it with the link below, which launches a 1.8 gb download in your browser immediately.

http://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/irc_nas/vcp/9078/intel_rs_sdk_offline_package_10.0.26.0396.exe http://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/irc_nas/vcp/9078/intel_rs_sdk_offline_package_10.0.26.0396.exe

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Many thanks MartyG for answering my post.

Well I've made progress of sorts with the original SDK, although I take your point on board and don't want to use something with such vulnerabilitie so will switching across to the newer version in a mo.

The progress is that now when I open the KM I'm not told that the camera is absent and that the DCM is missing.

The green camera light is on permanently I take it that's a notification that the camera is working? However the KM setting screen which should display F200 output is black.

The DCM is critical to getting the KM to work when you go to the KM website and look at the instructions for installing real sense camera in big red letters it says do not use DCM 1.3 (see attached)

The application seems to be freezing with a spinning wheel almost like it's taking up all the taking out all the processing power although looking at taskmaster nothings over 5%

Anyway will now attempt to download the supported Intel SDK see if that's any better!

Cheers Sean

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Okay everything seemed to uninstall easily however the Intel Realsense depth camera manager bite several attempts does not uninstall?

Any ideas why, would unplugging the camera help? The version that is there is the 1.4.20 7.52404 does that need to be uninstalled before I install SDK R2?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The original 2014 SDK did not need a DCM - it was introduced later in early 2015. So the 2014 SDK may work better if the 1.4 DCM is uninstalled.

If you choose to use 2016 R2 though then you should not need to uninstall the 1.4 DCM first. Just go ahead with the SDK installation. If KinesicMouse supports Xbox One then it is probably modern enough to work with 2016 R2 anyway.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

O.k so installed SDK R2 and at the end received.

Thought the KM may have it (DCM) so download it and launched the KM software.

I get no green light anymore and KM software displays

Looking in programmes DCM 4.1 seems to be in place (It does not uninstall when i tried

!)

I wonder whether it needs earlier DCM?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If I remember right, if you run the DCM installer again and it detects one is already installed, it should give you the option to remove it.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I also wanted to add that if you cannot get your F200 working with the KinesicMouse software, the R2 SDK has a function called the Touchless Controller that enables you to use the RealSense camera to control mouse functions like cursor moving and clicks using gestures.

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/documentation/html/index.html?doc_tc_touchless_controller2.html Intel® RealSense™ SDK 2016 R2 Documentation

When you install the R2 SDK, a folder called 'Intel RealSense SDK Gold' is placed on your desktop. This contains a program called the Sample Browser that lets you run pre-made sample programs. One of these is a pre-made version of the Touchless Controller that you can test out right away. A quick way to find it is to type 'touchless' into the Sample Browser's search box.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is doing my noggin in, going to play with the traffic in my wheelchair shortly!

Okay get no errors at all when opening the KM so no message errors saying the the DCM is missing or 3D camera not present.

The camera works when using the built-in Windows camera app using the F200 rather than the internal camera.

However…….

When I open the KM the camera starts making the connecting disconnecting noises continually almost like it powering on and then powering off or more likely driver appearing and disappearing

Temporarily the green light comes on as well.

This is a powered USB 3 socket there are two on the laptop same thing happens in both slots and obviously power is not an issue because the Windows camera app happily displays an image and records videos.

When you have device manager open you get that constant refreshing of the page as it adds and takes away the presence of hardwarevand it keeps appearing and disappearing in the settings tab under Bluetooth and other devices.

MartyG thanks for your patience and considerable help by the way.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

An RGB video image is not necessarily proof of a fully working RealSense camera, as if there is a problem with the camera's connection then Windows will treat it like an ordinary RGB webcam, even turning the green light on. However, depth and infrared functions may not ... function.

When the camera is behaving like this, it can be absolutely stable and keep the green light on when broadcasting RGB, but shut down as soon as the depth or IR mode is accessed. My own SR300 camera behaves exactly like this at the moment.

I posted a workaround on the forum recently that enables me to use the camera normally with no problems, by plugging a partially charged device that is switched off into a USB port so that the device enters charging mode. It doesn't work for everyone, but maybe it will for you.

idata
Employee

No sadly your MacGyver fix did not work for me.

I think I'm going to admit defeat, one final thought could you confirm whether when you use the tools within the SDK browser, without your work around whether the camera says its malfunctioning I plug my camera in and try and use it within the tools browser I get this malfunction error I'm wondering whether this is normal or just unique to my camera maybe the camera is duff.

Anyway I decided I'm going to use camera mouse 2017 it's a neater solution using the camera built in I just wanted to have a play with this camera but I'm fed playing now

I'm clearly out of my depth!

Thanks for your patience and help MartyG

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, I have had that error myself.

I'm sorry you weren't able to achieve a working solution with your RealSense camera. I'm an end-user of the products myself and experience the same problems, so I really understand how frustrating it can be.

I don't think you've done anything wrong that you need to feel bad about, and you clearly have some skill with using PCs. On some PCs, the cameras simply will not function no matter what workaround is tried and there's nothing you can do about it. I appreciate how much effort you've put into trying to get RealSense working.

Best of luck in life and PCs!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos