11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 9:10 AM by Ronald_Intel

Intel NUC6i5SYH / Intel Iris 540 , Crash/Blue Screen/Freeze after looping h264 for a few hours.

IntelNucLovel2017

Dear Intel,

Recently we've upgraded our digital signage system to the new Intel NUC6i5SYH for a few customers. Unfortunately a lot of them have been reporting crashed, freezes and bluescreens.

I was able to track down the problem to the specific video playing part of our application. Take it out, and it works. Put it in, and it crashes.

I've made a proof-of-concept visual studio 2015 project which is built in WPF .NET 4.6.2 x64 , just like our actual application. Build the project, give it a video.mp4 (h264) in the output folder and the system will crash after looping the video for a few hours.

Crashing seems to be more frequent when playing large files (500mb +). Our application sometimes run as a windows screensaver (just rename it from .exe to .scr and right click -> install). In this case, you won't even see a bluescreen, but the system will just lock up.

Please note that the our system and also our proof-of-concept project continues to play perfectly fine on all hardware other then the Intel NUC6i5SYH. (more than 200+ systems, all intel NUC's, from multiple generations, all intel hd graphics cards instead of intel iris though).

All our systems are updated to newest windows 10 version, creators update, and the newest graphics driver: 15.45.16.4627. Earlier drivers and earlier windows 10 versions give the  same problem.

We've tried experimenting with windows power settings, disabling other hardware, dedicated video memory in bios, graphics settings, different software approaches etc.

The problem is occuring on more then 20 NUC6i5SYH's, even with different hardware configurations. Note that our supplier only uses intel recommended ram and hard drives though.

Error message:

On Tue 25-4-2017 16:24:01 your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042517-5281-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: igdkmd64.sys (igdkmd64+0x127B0)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF8E8488FAA2A0, 0xFFFFF807790727B0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)

Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_4ac0038ddc82c1c6\igdkmd64.sys

product: Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows(R)

company: Intel Corporation

description: Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: igdkmd64.sys (Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver, Intel Corporation).

Google query: Intel Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Windows mini dump and dxdiag are attached as well.

I also have a windows memory dump, but it's too large to upload here (500mb), can share if you need it.

I'm quite certain this is a driver bug concerning the Iris 540. I really hope you guys can figure this one out, because i'm dying from support calls here

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help in this process.

Cheers!