Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Updating RAM for i3 2nd Generation ?

FHass1
Beginner

Can i add 4GB DDR3 RAM in the 1st slot, which i got by default for my laptop and 8GB DDR3 RAM( Empty Slot ) in 2nd slot for i3 2nd generation ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

TheFouzan, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities.

In regard to your question, when you use a laptop, before doing any changes on it we always recommend to get in contact with the manufacturer of it to make sure the memory RAM will be fully compatible with the system, since they build it they should be able to provide that information for you.

You will be able to add another memory RAM stick on the slot that is empty, however, the memory controller is located on the processor, so the best thing to do will be to find out what is the model of the processor in the laptop so we can check the specifications for the memory RAM, to verify the proper voltage and speeds that it supports.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

TheFouzan, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities.

In regard to your question, when you use a laptop, before doing any changes on it we always recommend to get in contact with the manufacturer of it to make sure the memory RAM will be fully compatible with the system, since they build it they should be able to provide that information for you.

You will be able to add another memory RAM stick on the slot that is empty, however, the memory controller is located on the processor, so the best thing to do will be to find out what is the model of the processor in the laptop so we can check the specifications for the memory RAM, to verify the proper voltage and speeds that it supports.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto
0 Kudos