1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2017 4:51 PM by rohanK23

Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto

rohanK23

Hello,

I just ordered an Intel Aero compute board that comes with the Yocto Project* 2.1. I hooked it up to a display and the shell prompt showed. I am wondering, how do I get started from here ? What Linux distribution comes with this compute board ? How do I go about using it ? Any details will be much appreciated.

best

Rohan

• 1. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
          rohanK23

I connected the drone via HDMI and get this prompt as expected

sh-4.3#

"uname -a" shows the Linux generic 4.4.3 yocto-standard installed.

I am confused as to how to proceed from here to install packages (git, gcc and so on). I see Yocto uses 'smart' package manager.

best

Rohan

• 2. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Aero Compute Board.

The best way to learn about the Aero Compute Board is through this link https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki. That site contains the latest official information.

Checking the Initial Setup section helps you understand the steps that need to be followed to flash the compute board.

The guide is a work in progress, so please keep visiting it to get the latest information.

The Developing on Intel Aero section shows how to work with Git repositories.

If you have any other question, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
            Andres V.

• 3. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
              rohanK23

Hi Andres,

I did try that.

Once I got to the shell prompt, I tried to flash the BIOS followed by a reboot. I did not find any aer-get-version.py script to run. Can you please give step by step instructions here starting from the first time connecting th board ?

best

Rohan

• 4. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                rohanK23

Hi Andres,

Where are all the aero-* commands to be run from?

best

Rohan

• 5. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                  rohanK23

Hi Andres,

When I tried to flash the BIOS and now the Linux distro, I am getting the same issues running the aero-* commands. Please help me out here.

Here is the linux distro flash steps:

sh-4.3# mkdir -p /tmp/{iso,newroot}

sh-4.3# mount -o ro /dev/sda1 /tmp/iso

sh-4.3# mount -o loop,ro /tmp/iso/rootfs.img /tmp/newroot

sh-4.3# /tmp/newroot/usr/sbin/aero-reboot-update.py    --> command not found   (same for aero-get-version.py)

When and where do these scripts get installed ?

best

Rohan

• 6. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                    Soubhi

Hi Rohan.

As mentioned here : 02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

"If you already have a system with firmware v1.2 or more recent, type the command". I guess you have OS version before 1.2 (I think v01.00.04) so you do not have that scripts "aero-update-reboot.py".

You have to put the OS ISO file in bootable flash drive like here : 02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

and plug it with Aero board using hub with external power supply. After turning on the drone, press ESC and boot from the flash and install the new OS. Do not forget to check the md5 hash for ios file.

Regards,

Soubhi

• 7. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                      rohanK23

Hi Soubhi,

Here are the steps I am following to do today:

1. download the iso and rpm files from downloadcenter.intel.com page to download the .rpm UEFI-BIOS file and .iso linux image.

2. format my usb drive

3. check the md5 hash

4. copy the rpm file onto the usb drive

5. plug the usb drive into the aero and power the aero on

6. this should come up with a shell prompt. issue the following:

sh-4.3# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt # we mount the drive

sh-4.3# rpm -ivh /mnt/capsule*.rpm # install rpm

sh-4.3# reboot

7. The reboot should flash the BIOS and update it. At this point I should be able to issue any "aero-*.py" commands. If I do not, what should I do ? You mentioned once I plug the ucb into the aero using the hub, I should press ESC and choose to boot from flash (is that an option that will show up ?) - right now, the only option I see is "boot" and I press enter there. Is "boot from flash" an option that shows up when I press ESC when the Aero comes up on the display ?

Once this is done, I believe the next step is to flash the OS by doing the following :

If you already have a system with firmware v1.2 or more recent, type the command:

aero-update-reboot.py           --> This should run if the BIOS update from flash was successful , correct ?

If this command does not work, it means you have an older version. Type:

mkdir -p /tmp/{iso,newroot} 
                      mount -o ro /dev/sda1 /tmp/iso
                      mount -o loop,ro /tmp/iso/rootfs.img /tmp/newroot
                      /tmp/newroot/usr/sbin/aero-reboot-update.py             

Please let me know if I am missing any steps before I continue.

best
                      Rohan
                      • 8. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                        rohanK23

Hi Soubhi,

Thanks for your reply. I am downloading the latest iso image from Download Intel® Aero Platform for UAVs Installation Files  which shows v1.3.1 for the .iso .

When I plug the usb into the hub and turn on the power for the aero, the display shows me a screen with just the "boot" option. At this point, are you suggesting I press ESC and that will present me a "boot from flash" option which I need to select ?

I have verified the md5 hash as well.

best

Rohan

• 9. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                          rohanK23

Hi Soubhi,

I have gotten a bit further along. I installed from the USB. Also the command in the documentation is wrong - it is aero-reboot-update.py and not aero-update-reboot.py/ That was throwing me off a bit. I am going to set up the networknext following 08 Aero Network and System Administration · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub .

I need help with the smart package manager. Like how do I install git and other packages using smart ? The documentation was not very helpful. Look forward to talking with you soon.

best

Rohan

• 10. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                            rohanK23

I am trying to connect the aero to the Wifi. I have the 2 antennas on the board. I then run the /etc/init.d/aero-supplicant.sh start script and that seems to take forever to finish. It comes back with messages such as:

p2p-dev-wlan0: BSS: Remove id 143 BSSID <mac address> SSID 'wifi name' due to wpa_bss_flush_by_age

Any idea what I am doing wrong ?

best

Rohan

• 11. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                              rohanK23

Hi Soubhi,

I tried running the script  /etc/init.d/autostart-supplicant.sh start   and at first it seems to Add new networks but then proceeds to remove them. The script does not seem to work for me. Have you had this problem ? Please let me now how you got past this issue. Once the script finishes, I can try connecting to a Wifi network.

As a side note,

ifconfig deoes show me entries for wlan0 (wifi) and usb.  I am not sure what network I am connected to via wlan0 but my workstation is not on the same network and subnet so I cannot ssh into the Aero board from my workstation.

best

Rohan

• 12. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                                rohanK23

Hello Andres/Soubhi,

What is the expected output (can you paste it here) from the /etc/init.d/auostart-suplicant.sh script ? Also, can you send pics of how the antennas should look if I only have the compute board i.e do I need to remove the stickers ?

best

Rohan

• 13. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                                  rohanK23

Here is a picture of the board with the wifi antennas. I had to tape one of them because it seemed to break when I removed the sticker. I have not removed the sticker for the other.

The autostart-supplicant.sh script does a can of BSSes. returns a list, Adds them and then proceeds to removes them due to SSID mistmatch, wpa_bss_flush_by_age or disabled.  Let me know what I need to do to overcome this.

20170503_115306.jpg

• 14. Re: Intel Aero Drone Linux Distribution Yocto
                                    Intel Corporation
                                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

I followed the steps that appear in the guide Networking: Internet Access (https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/08-Aero-Network-and-System-Administration) and I could connect to a Wifi, could you please share the commands you are introducing? (Perhaps share some screenshots of the process?) Once you run the /etc/init.d/autostart-supplicant.sh start command, you will see multiple processes taking place (too much for a single screenshot), after that, just continue with the wpa_cli –iwlan0 command.

These are the commands that I entered to connect via Wifi to a network called Work, and password 1234.

sh-4.4# /etc/init.d/autostart-supplicant.sh start
                                    wpa_cli –iwlan0
                                    scan
                                    scan_res
                                    add_net
                                    set_net 1 ssid “Work”
                                    set_net 1 psk “1234”
                                    enable_net 1
                                    select_net 1
                                    save_config
                                    quit
                                    ifconfig wlan0

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Also, please don’t remove the antenna stickers.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                                    Andres V.

1 2 Previous Next