6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2017 4:53 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i5BNK fan speed controls not working

achase748

I just recently setup a new build using the NUC7i5BNK.  When I select different profiles in the BIOS cooling tab, there is no change to the fan speed.  If I set the option to fanless, the speed and noise remains the same.  I have updated to the latest BIOS BNKBL357.86A.0045.2017.0417.1728.

Any troubleshooting steps or should I just return this one and try another?

• 1. Re: NUC7i5BNK fan speed controls not working
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello achase748,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

The behavior you are describing is actually an expected behavior.

You can refer to the following thread for further information, even when it is related to a different Intel® NUC, it also applies to the one you have.

NUC6CAYH cooling fan regulation not working properly

You can also check the following articles regarding overheating:

Frequently Asked Questions about Temperature for Intel® Desktop and Mobile Processors
          Computer Is Overheating Warning Signs

I hope this information helps.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
          JC

• 2. Re: NUC7i5BNK fan speed controls not working
            achase748

I'm not sure that thread describes the same problem.  I have selected different cooling options in the bios but the it doesn't change the fan speed.  It is always running at about 4000 rpm and none of the bios options (including fanless) have any effect.  The fan also does not turn off, ever, including when the temperature is low.

Why would the bios have these options if they have no effect?

I also tried installing SpeedFan to see if I could control the fan speed there, but it shows no fans.

• 3. Re: NUC7i5BNK fan speed controls not working
              N.Scott.Pearson

Actually, the BN NUCs (NUC7i3BNK, NUC7i3BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i5BNH and NUC7i7BNH) all utilize Intel Core processors and the Intel Core processors *do* support the PECI bus and they *do* expose both Processor and PCH (chipset) temperature readings that can be used by the fan speed control subsystem.

I looked at the profiles that are offer in Visual BIOS and I didn't think much of them. They are so close in configuration that the results are similar regardless of which you pick. I decided to use a custom configuration:

FSCCFG.jpg

Give this a try. Overall, I do not recommend lowering the Minimum Duty Cycle -- and I strongly recommend keeping it this high if you have a NUC7i7BNH. If you really must lower this value, however, note the following:

• I recommend that you set both Minimum Duty Cycle parameters to the same value. There's only one fan.
              • You must also adjust (increase) the Duty Cycle Increment:
                • The duty cycle should reach 100% at or before the Processor temperature reaches (my recommendation) 83c.
                • The duty cycle should reach 100% at or before the Memory temperature reaches (my recommendation) 73c.
                • Here is equation: Overall, I do not recommend lowering the Minimum Duty Cycle and I strongly recommend keeping it this high if you have a NUC7i7BNH. = (100 - Minimum Duty Cycle) / Duty Cycle Increment. The result must be an integer; so adjust up for decimals. For example, if result is 4.25, adjust up to 5.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: NUC7i5BNK fan speed controls not working
                N.Scott.Pearson

P.S. No (as in absolutely none, zero, nada) third party tools (AIDA64, SpeedFan, HWMonitor, HWiNFO32/64, etc.) have the ability to see the environmental monitoring and fan speed control subsystem in the BN and AY NUCs.

• 5. Re: NUC7i5BNK fan speed controls not working
                  achase748

Thanks.  That was very helpful.  I did lower the Minimum Duty Cycle to 30 and it is very quiet now.  I ran Prime95 for a while and the fan speed did increase, so the system does seem to be working correctly.  I'll experiment with different settings to see what gives me the right balance of noise vs cooling.

Thanks again!

• 6. Re: NUC7i5BNK fan speed controls not working
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi N. Scott Pearson, thank you for pointing that out and for the clarification.

achase748: I am glad to hear Scott's recommendations helped you.

Please don't hesitate in reaching us out if you need further assistance.

Regards,
                    JC