3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2017 7:03 AM by Intel Corporation

Frequent BSODs critical_process_died solved only when replacing Intel SSD with a old HD

rgp1979

Here's my post on microsoft's forums about the problem: Frequent BSOD critical_process_died error, then upon restart computer - Microsoft Community

The only thing that has worked so far is swapping out my intel SSD with an old Seagate HD.  I've tried resetting windows on my SSD to no avail.  I cannot get it to stay functioning long enough to burn a ISO disk and try to do a clean reinstall that way.  Regardless, it appears that my Intel SSD is the problem, even though all of my hardware scans cannot find the problem.

Any ideas?  Its a 535 Series FWIW.

Thank you in advance.

-Richard

• 1. Re: Frequent BSODs critical_process_died solved only when replacing Intel SSD with a old HD
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Rgp1979,

We understand your SSD 535 series is having BSODs issues and you have not been able to reload the operating system on it.

We would like to let you know that we have seen this similar situation before with this series of SSDs, so we do recommend to you the following:

-Make sure the BIOS of your computer is updated
          -Burn the following ISO and install this update on the SSD
          -Here is a guide on how to install the firmware on the SSD

If this does not work, we do recommend a secure erase as well, click this link to get more information.

Regards,
          Nestor C

• 2. Re: Frequent BSODs critical_process_died solved only when replacing Intel SSD with a old HD
            rgp1979

Thank you, Nestor.  I followed the instructions and have not had any problems since.  It has been about 24 hours without a BSOD.  Interestingly, I have had this computer for about a year before the problems happened.  Is there a Windows update or other action that will cause this problem again?  In other words, is this issue permanently solved or do I need to be aware of it for the future?

• 3. Re: Frequent BSODs critical_process_died solved only when replacing Intel SSD with a old HD
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Rgp1979,

Thanks for providing feedback about our suggestions.
              To explain you a little bit about this situation, the SSD 535 series comes with a devsleep feature, this feature put the device in a low power "device sleep" state and some motherboards do not have the capability of "waking up" the drive back.

In some cases, the BIOS update of the motherboard will help since it enables this feature on the actual BIOS so the drive can functional normal. Now, there are some motherboards that not even with the BIOS update will enable this feature or basically it does not come with it, for those, we do apply the firmware to disable the feature on the SSD, that way it never goes into this low power state.

The feature is good for customers using laptops under battery power to maintain it charged.

Please let us know if you require any more assistance or if it fails again.

Regards,
              Nestor C