1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 8:08 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot

Hilly

Have new Samsung UN40MM7000 TV and new NUC7i5BNK PC. New clean Windows 10 64-bit install.  Every time I reboot the PC, the TV turns on like it recognizes a video signal coming in, but says "no signal".  I have to move the HDMI input to my old Vizio monitor, which has no problem with display.  Then I put the HDMI cable back in the Samsung, it detects it as a new input, recognizes it and works fine (except for occasional short duration blank screen).  It's a feature - works the same way every time.  Have been trouble-shooting this for two days.  Have updated BIOS and firmware multiple times.  Samsung no help with troubleshoot.  Amazon tech thinks it's a defective TV, but I don't  want to try to swap it out with them until I'm sure.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

• 1. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
          Hilly

Typo on the Samsung model - it's really UN40MU7000. And one other observation.  The Intel graphics Control Panel IDs the display as a "Digital Television Samsung".  However, in the MS Windows Control Panel "Devices and Printers", it's ID'd as a "Generic PnP Monitor".  Not sure if it matters - just curious.

• 2. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
            Hilly

One other observation.  If I just restart the NUC, the Samsung works fine.  It's ONLY when I shut down the NUC and then power it back up later that the problem happens.  But it happens every time.

• 3. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Hilly,

I would like gather more information regarding your system configuration, this in order to have a better look a this situation. Please respond to the following;

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                Hilly

Amy,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Here's some answers:

• The HDMI cable is made by "Canakit" - does not seem to have a model number associated with it.  It's a 4 ft cable.
                • I have tried several HDMI cables - all with the same result.
                • SSU report attached

Here's a few other observations

1. I found a fairly long discussion on here about compatibility problems with Samsung monitors and the latest NUCs.  Resolution seems to be to get "firmware version 10.65" but I don't know how to do that.
                2. I tried to update the NUC drivers multiple times.  The updates seem to install fine, but when I rerun the Intel driver update utility, I get the same results - 3 drivers still need updates -
                • Current version of Intel HD Graphics driver is "Unknown" - update to ver 15.45.16.4627 - I have installed this update multiple times, but the utility gives me the same result
                • Intel Chipset current version is 10.1.1.38 need to update to 10.1.1.42.  I have installed this update several times, still get the same result
                • Intel Managment Engine (ME) current version 10.6.0.1032 need to update to 10.6.0.1136.  Same thing - install the update, still get the message that the installed version is not the latest

Will try to figure out how to get whatever firmware version the other blog was talking about.  Looking forward to hearing back from you.  I really like the PC and the Samsung TV - hope we can figure out how to make them work together.

r/

Jim

• 5. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                  Hilly

Amy,

I read through that whole other discussion and found the firmware update - it's the HDMI s/w for the NUC.  Installed the update and problem solved.  Only issue now is that the TV does not turn on when the NUC powers up.  Have to turn it on via the TV remote but the display is there.  Before I installed the update, the TV used to turn on as soon as the NUC powered up.  I'll check the BIOS settings - something might have changed there, but the big problem appears to be solved.

r/

Jim

• 6. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                    Intel Corporation

Jim, great to hear that! To be honest I wanted to check if you had the system updated before providing the HDMI Firmware update, but I am glad you got there first.

Do remember the power settings that were set on the TV before the update? I believe that the TV has to be on or in sleep mode in order to do this. Each device has its own power source and this is not shared, also the HDMI will not wake the TV if it is completely off.

Regards,

Amy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                      Hilly

Amy, and to be honest from my side, I had seen that other discussion about other Samsung TVs over the weekend when I first started trying to fix this, but didn't take the time to read all 6 pages since it seemed to apply to earlier model TVs (I'm such a slacker).  Had I read the whole thread, I would have found the HDMI update and we never would have had a chance to meet

The TV thing is a minor annoyance, and all on the Samsung side.  Actually, it wouldn't be anything at all, except that when I do turn the TV on using the TV remote, the TV thinks the signal is coming from a cable box, not a PC, and the first thing it wants me to do is set up the Samsung remote to control the box.  So you have to back out of those screens one at a time and then it's all good.  Even if you tell it the signal is from a PC, the next time it powers up it "forgets".  I'll figure it out.

One quick question - how come the NUM LOCK doesn't get set when I boot up? I've got the BIOS set to turn it on, but it doesn't.  Minor annoyance - I've got Windows 10 set up so that I just have to enter a PIN, and I keep forgetting to hit the NUM LOCK key before I start putting in the numbers.  Any thoughts?

Now that it's working, I REALLY like the system.  That NUC is amazing.  Thanks for the help.

r/

Jim

• 8. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                        Intel Corporation

Jim, the good thing is that you found the fix for the issue that made you start the thread, and this really good.

Now, regarding your question; I went ahead and test the NumLock on my unit which is the same model you have. And, the NumLock stayed on when booting, see my set below;

IMG_4167.JPG

What is your currently BIOS version?

Regards,

Amy.

• 9. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                          Hilly

Amy,

According to msinfo32, the BIOS version is

BIOS Version/DateIntel Corp. BNKBL357.86A.0045.2017.0417.1728, 4/17/2017

OBTW, I just switched from a wired keyboard to a Logitech wireless - same result. 

r/

Jim

• 10. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                            Intel Corporation

Thanks for the information.

You actually have the latest BIOS version, so let's try to downgrade that version and see if the behavior is present on version 042. Follow these instructions to downgrade the current version; BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC, and here find the version 0042; Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A].

Regards,

Amy.

• 11. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                              Intel Corporation

Jim, just wanted to check if you were able to follow the suggestion mentioned above.

Please let me know the results.

Regards,

Amy. 

• 12. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                                Hilly

Amy,

Sorry I should have gotten back to you sooner.  I could not figure out how to complete the BIOS recovery instructions, and I was afraid to go back to a previous version unless I did that.  So I chickened out.  It's really such a minor issue - probably not worth the risk.  I did look at the screen shot you sent - it does not look like the screen I see that has the NUM LOCK box checked.  Mine's totally different.  I was going to send you a screen shot of my page, but I couldn't figure out how to save the screen shot.  I did click on the camera picture in the BIOS top right corner and saved the screen shot (I'm assuming to the clipboard), but once I exit out of BIOS, obviously the clipboard is erased.

On to a bigger issue - every couple of minutes, especially when I'm resizing or moving the windows on the screen, the screen will go blank for about a second or two.  Then it comes back.  Doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying.  I dropped the refresh rate to 59 Hz, but it still does it quite a bit.  Should I go to a lower refresh rate?  I'm using the highest resolution for the Samsung TV; it's not the max possible resolution, but pretty close.

Anyway - thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

r/

Jim

• 13. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                                  Intel Corporation

The screenshot would be helpful, I would like to share with you a video I recorded with a colleague on how to save BIOS screenshots. Here is the video; https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2T3JJ25LrUhOG1YTjdWbkk2YW8/view, this may help to get the file and once you have it, please attach it.

For testing purposes; yes, go ahead and drop the Hz. But, I believe this somehow can be cable related. Does your cable support the resolution and the Hz you are setting? One more thing we can do is to update your Intel® HD Graphics to the latest version; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=98911.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy.

• 14. Re: Samsung UN40MU7000 doesn't recognize video after NUC reboot
                                    Hilly

Thanks Amy.  I'll give it a shot.  Probably have to wait until the weekend - lots on my plate this week.  I need to retire. 

One thing I am thinking about trying is the Thunderbolt port.  Any recommendations on high quality USB-C to HDMI cables?  Amazon has all kinds, but they get mixed reviews.

r/

Jim

1 2 Previous Next