5 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2017 5:44 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC5I5MYHE  reboots on shut down

elliotwoods

Hey all

I'm having similar issues to what others have reported elsewhere with the NUC rebooting on shut down.

I noticed if i choose 'Shutdown' from the windows start menu, then the PC does power down, and stays down.

If i check the power state in the AMT login, it says 'Hibernation'.

However if i call shutdown from shutdown.exe /s /t 60 (or similar) then the computer will always reboot

Also calling GracefulShutdown from AMT SDK (remotely) also causes a reboot

Note :

1. Currently the computers are inaccessible and running headless (and since no video display is attached, remote BIOS is also impossible. which is a huge pain).

2. The computers are configured to power on automatically when power is available from the wall socket

3. Running most recent BIOS i could download (today)

4. 1 stick of RAM

Elliot

• 1. Re: NUC5I5MYHE  reboots on shut down
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In order to try to provide the proper resolution for this scenario, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC5I5MYHE  reboots on shut down
            Intel Corporation

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I just received some updates from the research we are doing on this matter.

Could you please confirm which Windows version are you using?

Based on that information, It is expected that the system will be reboot after shut down since the computers are configured to power on automatically when power is available from the wall socket. In that case you may use the hibernate or sleep mode.

In reference of when you shutdown the computer from the start menu, it will not reboot after shutdown. But if in the AMT it shows as hibernate, then it sounds like the system is not shutting down.
            Please check the power options setting in Windows. This link may be able to guide you:
            https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13770/windows-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-your-pc

Please open power options:
            -For Windows® 10, in the search box on the taskbar, type power options and then select Power Options.
            -For Windows® 8.1 / Windows® RT 8.1, swipe in from the edge of the screen, tap Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search), enter Power options in the search box, and then tap or click Power options.
            -For Windows 7, click the Start button, click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click Power Options.

Please try one of the following:
            -If you’re using a desktop, tablet, or laptop, select Choose what the power buttons do. Next to When I press the power button, select Sleep, and then select Save changes.
            -If you’re using only a laptop, select Choose what closing the lid does. Next to When I close the lid, select Sleep, and then select Save changes.

Please let me know the results of trying the steps above.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
            Alberto

• 3. Re: NUC5I5MYHE  reboots on shut down
              elliotwoods

Dear Alberto

Thanks for the reply.

Please note:

* Window 10 x64 Professional, fully updated as of 1st May 2017

* The computer was being controlled by the 'Shut down' option in start menu (I wasn't accidentlally hibernating, it was an error in the Intel user interface)

* I wasn't using the power button (or closing the lid.. as noted this is an Intel NUC, and therefore is not a laptop)

I updated the BIOS which might have solved the issue, but i'm not going to be on site for a few weeks now so can't check

• 4. Re: NUC5I5MYHE  reboots on shut down
                Intel Corporation

Hi, , You are welcome. Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

No problem at all, once you get the chance please test the NUC and let us know the results to confirm if the BIOS fixed the issue.

Regards,
                Alberto

• 5. Re: NUC5I5MYHE  reboots on shut down
                  Intel Corporation

Hi, I just wanted to check if you had the option to test if the BIOS update fixed the issue?

Regards,
                  Alberto