1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2017 7:55 PM by vkhit

Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036

Hazenet

Hi

I got a NUC7i3BNH, which originally came with BIOS 0036.

My plan is to have VMware ESXi on this box (either 6.0U3 or 6.5).

I saw that there was a BIOS upgrade available, so I updated to BIOS 0042.

But now the system, won't power off, when doing a shutdown of the ESXi software (tested with both ESXi 6.0U3 and 6.5)

I have been in communication with other people with the precise same hardware, and ESXi versions, running BIOS 0036, where the shutdown/power off works.

So I would like to downgrade the BIOS to 0036 again.

But when I try this I just get "Incompatible BIOS Version, Update aborted" using either the F7 option or the IFLASH2 option.

When I try to do a Power Button Menu F4 BIOS Recovery, I just get a blank/black screen, and the system is just on, but nothing happens. Left it there for many hours.

I have also tried the BIOS Security Jumper, but the result is the same as the Power Button Menu F4 BIOS Recovery option.

How do I downgrade the BIOS back to the original 0036?

• 1. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Hazenet,

Please let me review your inquiry, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Regards,

Amy. 

• 2. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
            rguevara

Hello Hazenet,

I work for Intel Customer Support and we usually do not recommend a BIOS downgrade unless really necessary but you are correct, it is still an option when the newer BIOS doesnt do what you were expecting.

You pretty much tried everything documented here: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC only additional recommendation, I would say: try this o a regular monitor and not connected to a TV or very large screen. If you still have problems please contact us via Chat or Phone to check on next steps, here is our contact information Contact Support  and make reference to case #02769246.

Regards,

Ronny G   

• 3. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
              Hazenet

Hi Ronny

Thanks for your input.

I am doing this on a Dell U2515H monitor, which has a resolution of 2560 x 1440, connected via HDMI (both on the NUC and the Monitor).

Is that considered a very large screen?

I will try to locate a smaller monitor, to see if this helps.

• 4. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                rguevara

Hello Hazenet,

The Dell U2515H (25 inches) should be an Okay monitor to do so. I was thinking on very large TVs, 40 inches or more that really need to use the Graphics Driver to work properly.

If you could locate another monitor to try that would be great if not please give us a call.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 5. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                  stenvik

Tried downgrade bios on NUC7i3BNH  from 0045/0042 to 0036 and 0031 (BN4026.bio first)  but failed both normal upgrade and bios recovery -F4   with BN0036.bio  and BN4026.bio  files. Are we locked at 0040+ bios' ?

I experience same problem  with black screen  normal monitor hdmi/hdmi  1920x1080, tried two diff usb (one with fat32 and another ntfs) mem sticks   where I had bio file at root and when forced recovery mode F4 it reboots  usb mem stick led light turned then flash 2-3 sec and led turned off   power button led(blue) remains on for a while and then it reboots   nothing altered with bios

• 6. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                    Hazenet

I have now tried with another monitor.

A Dell UltraSharp 2009Wt, which has a resolution of 1680 x 1050. Connected with a HDMI-to-DVI cable.

Still the same issue.

Using the Power Button Menu, selecting F4, NUC is rebooting (properly to go into BIOS Recovery mode), but just sits there with no monitor-signal and the Power LED on.

• 7. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                      rguevara

Hello Hazenet,

Allow me a couple of extra days, I was able to duplicate the issue that you describe.

I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 8. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                        rguevara

Hello Hazenet,

I just have confirmation that due to ME update, there is no way to do a BIOS roll back once updated.

Regards,

Ronny G

• 9. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                          Uwe_de

Hello Hazenet,

i had the same issue, but found a solution with the poweroff, to be honest too easy to be true, but working,

tried it on 2 NUC7i7BNH. one NUC had BIOS Version 0042, the other 0048.

Shutdown your NUC, open your NUC, remove the BIOS security jumper.

poweron your NUC, select in the Detected BIOS Security Jumper Removed Menu Option 2 for removing passowrds. power off your NUC as requested and then place the jumper in the 1-2 position which is default. power up your NUC and then it was working for me fine.

• 10. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                            MrMitch

If you look at the Release Notes for the BIOS update, it says that you can't downgrade to a previous BIOS using the F7 update, iFlash, or Power Button Menu F4 Recovery functions because of an ME and EC firmware update. If you put the previous BIOS BN0036.BIO file on a FAT32 blank flash drive (USB 2.0 or older is best, no other files but the BIO file), then pull the Security Jumper on the board, the system should start a BIOS Recovery flash using the flash drive.  If it does not see the drive correctly, it will go straight to the Power Button Menu. Try a different drive.  If it does see it, then it will display a message on screen that Recovery will start in 20 seconds.

You should be able to recover to a previous BIOS this way.  If it still does not work, then because of the ME FW change you will not be cable to go back to a previous BIOS at all.

Hope this helps.

• 11. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                              MrMitch

BIOS 0048 just came out so you might try that to see if it fixes your issues first.

• 12. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                                Uwe_de

no bios update did help, also not 0048, i did not do any recovery, because this was not working all hints did not help here, tried them

all.

i just did a the stupid description above which solved the power off function on ESXi 6.0 U3

• 13. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                                  Hazenet

Hey Uwe_de

Thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately it did not work for me.

I have done as you described, but my system still won't turn off when "asked" to do a Shutdown.

Looking at the logs of the DCUI in ESXi while doing a shutdown (hitting ALT+F12, after requesting a shutdown), the final message is:

"VMKAcpi: 1498: Bus 01 can't wake system from S5 (max is S4)"

or

"VMKAcpi: 1498: Bus 02 can't wake system from S5 (max is S4)" (if a USB-C Ethernet adapter is plugged in).

So this issue is as far as I can tell related to USB somehow.

I am booting my NUC7i3BNH from a 8GB Sandisk USB flash drive, which have ESXi installed.

I have tried removing everything else from the system (USB-C Ethernet adapter, USB keyboard, HDMI cable for monitor), but the system still don't want to power off.

• 14. Re: Downgrade BIOS on NUC7i3BNH to version 0036
                                    doclucas

rguevara

I also have a BIOS that needs to be downgraded, although this one has the same ME firmware, yet still doesn't let me downgrade (NUC 7 i5 firmware 050 -> 047).

I was planning to do the jumper method, but then I read this:

BIOS recovery using the BIOS security jumper clears trusted platform module keys, Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) keys, and High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) keys. These keys will not be restored after the BIOS recovery.

What does that mean?

1 2 Previous Next