1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2017 4:00 PM by adewolfe

What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?

RoelB

I've been trying to get a good picture on what triple-display configurations are possible on my NUC7i7 and what dongles/converters will work. However, the documentation is inconclusive. Can somebody from Intel clear this up?

According to this page:

Setting Up Multiple Displays for the Intel® NUC

The supported configuration is:

DisplayIntel NUC PortTV/Monitor PortMax Resolution
      1HDMIHDMI or DVI4096x2160 at 60 Hz
      2DisplayPort via USB Type-CUSB Type C, HDMI, or DisplayPort4096x2304 at 60 Hz
      3DisplayPort via USB Type-CUSB Type C, HDMI, or DisplayPort4096x2304 at 60 Hz

The DP output on the NUC7i7, according to the specifications on http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i5BN_NUC7i7BN_TechProdSpec.pdf , is a Displayport 1.2 (Page 26: "DisplayPort via USB Type-C connector is compliant with the DisplayPort 1.2 specification.". That provides a maximum bandwidth of 21.6 Gbps.

A single 4096x2304@60Hz display takes up 17Gbps of bandwidth. Driving two monitors at that resolution through a single displayport would require not DP 1.2, but DP 1.3 (max bandwidth 34Gbps). I could not find any DP MST hub out there that would support anything over 21.6Gbps according to the specs. So my question to Intel is: what converter would I need for the above supported configuration to work?

My guess is that the above is impossible through DP 1.2 alternate mode. However, that page does not mention Thunderbolt.  With 40Gbps of bandwidth, driving two UHD displays at 60Hz should be possible.

But.. For the NUC6 Intel created a page on Thunderbolt compatibility, and on that page they clearly state that a single display is the maximum: Thunderbolt™ 3/USB Type C Information: "Single 4K (Ultra HD) or 1080p video support " For the NUC7 series, no such compatibility page on Thunderbolt exists.

However, when I look at the list of tested peripherals for the NUC7 series (Tested Peripherals for Intel® NUC Kits NUC7i[x]BN ), the following items are in the list:

Thunderbolt™/USB Type-C Devices (Thunderbolt only supported on i5/i7 models)
      PlugableThunderbolt 3 dual DisplayPort adapterTBT3-DP2X
      PlugableThunderbolt 3 dual HDMI adapterTBT3-HDMI2X

According to the manufacturer, the TBT3-DP2X supports two UHD displays at 60Hz (see Plugable Thunderbolt™ 3 Dual DisplayPort Adapter for Windows | Plugable ). As does the similar Startech TB32DP2 dongle. However, I can't get it to drive two displays (QHD + FHD, theoretically using just 12.75Gbps of bandwidth, but I can only drive one at a time).

I have now bought over EUR 200 of converters on top of the NUC7i7 just to get my triple-display configuration working and I'm still not there, having to revert to an old Displaylink USB -> DVI device and using just a single display on the USB-C/DP/TB port (with a flicker problem, but there is another topic on that).

• 1. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello RoelB,

Please let me review all of this information carefully, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
            rguevara

Hi RoelB,

Can you please let me know what type of monitors/screens you have as well as the cabling and configurations you have tried?

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 3. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
              RoelB

Why not answer the questions from my first post?

Anyway, what I am trying to do is to drive two displays through the USB-C/TB3 connector. There are no adapters on the market that convert USB-C DP alternate mode into two DP outputs that support UHD@60Hz. However, you do list this as a supported triple-display configuration on the URL that I referenced in my initial post. My guess is that your documentation is incorrect.

That's why my initial post stated a clear and explicit question:

So my question to Intel is: what converter would I need for the above supported configuration to work?

This referred to two UHD@60Hz displays driven through DP over the USB-C connector (probably using MST).

The only other option is to use TB3. The only available converter to do TB3 to dual DP available over here is the Startech TB32DP2 Thunderbird 3 to dual displayport converter. So that's the one I bought. However, I cannot get it to drive more than one monitor though. It's very simple: only the first monitor connected will work.

According to Startech, this is probably because the NUC doesn't support two monitors through the TB3 port. From their FAQ:

If you are only getting a single display to work with your Thunderbolt™3 device, make sure that your Thunderbolt 3 host device can support two separate DisplayPort lines over Thunderbolt 3.

While Thunderbolt 3 supports dual monitors over a single connection, not all Thunderbolt 3 host devices are designed to meet this requirement. If your Thunderbolt 3 host device does not meet this requirement, you cannot troubleshoot this issue with software, firmware, or driver updates, and you cannot use this device to achieve dual displays over Thunderbolt 3. If you are not sure whether your Thunderbolt 3 host device supports dual monitors, contact your Thunderbolt 3 host device manufacturer.

The NUC6 series indeed do not support this and this is listed on their product page. However, no such information exists for the NUC7. The compatibility lists includes TB3 to dual display converts, so that would suggest that it does. But the fact that it simply doesn't work suggests that it doesn't. My clear question to Intel is: Does the NUC7i7 support two monitors through TB3 or not? And if so, why does it not work with the Startech converter?

• 4. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                oes

I also bought the Startech converter and encountered the same thing. So my hope then was that daisychaining might work

to connect two 4k displays using USB-C but this also does not seem to work.

The technical product specification for the nuc7i5 and nuc7i7 states that you can only connect one 4k display

via USB-C and thunderbolt, i.e. that seems to contradict the support for 3 4k displays as stated here before.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i5BN_NUC7i7BN_TechProdSpec.pdf

I would also like to have some clarification here especially that the support of 3 4k displays was the reason

for me to buy the nuc in the first place.

• 5. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                  RoelB

But the Intel marketing documentation clearly states that three 4K displays are supported.

From Product Brief: Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH :

The Intel NUC7i7BNH can connect up to three 4K monitors so you can spread your game across screens. The kit also comes with Thunderbolt™ 3 which supports up to 40 Gbps transfer speeds, ...

So, please tell us: how?

• 6. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                    oes

I would like to know that, too.

• 7. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                      rguevara

Hi RoelB,

Perhaps the confusion lies in the fact that this should be a "daisy-chain type of set up.

Which means you have to have a monitor that has an in and an out connector.

DaisyChain.jpg

Let me know if this helps.

Ronny G

• 8. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                        mayonnaise

Hi rguevara,

You don't want to be telling people to daisy chain 4k monitors.

Moreover the multi-monitor configuration RoelB posted at the top of page clearly stated that you can connect 3 4k monitors at 60hz so there's no leeway to waffle in this case I'm afraid...

• 9. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                          RoelB

My initial post clearly mentions the impossibility of using MST (the "daisy chaining" configuration mentioned) to drive two 4k@60Hz display using DP 1.2:

A single 4096x2304@60Hz display takes up 17Gbps of bandwidth. Driving two monitors at that resolution through a single displayport would require not DP 1.2, but DP 1.3 (max bandwidth 34Gbps). I could not find any DP MST hub out there that would support anything over 21.6Gbps according to the specs. So my question to Intel is: what converter would I need for the above supported configuration to work?

You are not answering the question. Let me repeat it: "What converter, MST hub or monitor with integrated MST hub would I need to be able to drive 2 4K display at 60Hz from the single USB-C/TB3.2 port on my NUC 7i7.

Anyway, your own website clearly lists the supported configuration without any mention of MST or "daisy chain", while it does mention this for the NUC5 series:

Setting Up Multiple Displays for the Intel® NUC

Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BN, NUC7i7BN

1HDMIHDMI or DVI4096x2160 at 60 Hz
                          2DisplayPort via USB Type-CUSB Type C, HDMI, or DisplayPort4096x2304 at 60 Hz
                          3DisplayPort via USB Type-CUSB Type C, HDMI, or DisplayPort4096x2304 at 60 Hz

Intel® NUC Kits NUC5i3RYH, NUC5i3RYK, NUC5i5RYH, NUC5i5RYK, NUC5i7RYH, NUC5i5MYHE, NUC5i3MYHE, and Intel® NUC Boards NUC5i5MYBE, NUC5i3MYBE

1Mini-DisplayPortDisplayPort1920x1080 at 60 Hz
                          2N/ADisplayPort cable daisy-chains first monitor/TV to second monitor/TV1920x1080 at 60 Hz
                          3N/ADisplayPort cable daisy-chains second monitor/TV to third monitor/TV1920x1080 at 60 Hz

For this Multi-Stream Transport (daisy-chained) configurations, all displays and cables must support the DisplayPort 1.2 specification. Daisy-chaining describes the ability to connect multiple monitors using a single connection between each one.

Again the direct question: What hardware do I need to get the configuration as mentioned on your own website working?

I have bought this system for one purpose: to drive three UHD/QHD/4k displays at 60Hz. I've done my research carefully and based my decision to buy the NUC on information from Intel quoted above, which directly states that the NUC can do this. However, it now seems this information is incorrect. Or at the least, you are unable to tell us what we need to get this working.

I'm already outside the return window for my NUC (plus Win10 license which is bound to this device) and unable to use it for the scenario that I bought it for. As far as I'm concerned, Intel is responsible for this as this is a clear case of misrepresenting capabilities in advertising.

• 10. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                            rguevara

Hi RoelB,

The information available at Setting Up Multiple Displays for the Intel® NUC  has been updated, please refer back to it.

I am sending a private message to try to speak directly with you to find a way to satisfactory resolve this issue for you.

I really apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Ronny G

• 11. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                              oes

There are more people here interested in a definitive answer!

The table Setting Up Multiple Displays for the Intel® NUC still refers to two 4k displays via USB-C. Is that now

possible or not? Will it be possible with a future firmware update or not?

This feature has been advertised since January when the nuc was announced!

• 12. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                                rguevara

Please see below the chart for triple display configuration for NUC7ixxx that was recently updated to Setting Up Multiple Displays for the Intel® NUC 

We really apologize for the inconvenience and please send me a private message if you wish to be contacted to further chat about this issue.

We currently dont support triple 4K configurations on NUC7ixxx.

TripleDisplay.jpg

Regards,

Ronny G

• 13. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                                  oes

Then you also have to fix your dual display configuration. There you specify

the possibility of two displays connected to USB-C with a max resolution of 4k.

Which by now we all know cant work.

• 14. Re: What triple display configurations are supported on NUC7i5 and NUC7i7?
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

Using DP daisy-chaining, can you not run two 4K monitors (albeit at only 30Hz) off the USB-C connector?

1 2 Previous Next