10 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 1:18 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK

myuser1001

Info from lshw output:

Model:NUC6i7KYB

BIOS: KYSKLi70.86A.0046.2017.0407.1426

USB type C hub model: Targus  ( http://www.targus.com/my/product_details.asp?sku=ACH224AP )
      linux Kernel: 4.4.0-75
      Problem: USB hub lights up but any device attached to hub is not detected. The same hub works on other systems and android phones.
      I tried disabling and enabling the thunderbolt option in bios but that did not make any difference.
      It used to work before. It also worked for a while after recent bios update to 0046, but suddenly stopped working.
      Is there anything else that I need to check to find if the problem is with OS or with hardware?
        • 1. Re: USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello myuser1001,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

By any chance, have you check in the BIOS if the USB ports are enabled?

If this occurred after you updated the BIOS, can you try rolling back to the previous BIOS version to see the behavior?  Previous BIOS version is 0045, use the BIOS recovery method to roll back to a previous BIOS version.

If that does not work, the best way to determine if that port is defective is to try with different USB C hub, if you can to do that will be great if not that is understandable.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK
            myuser1001

Yes, I checked and found all 8 ports are enabled in bios.

The previous BIOS version I used was 0042. I upgraded from 0042 to 0046 using jumper method (recovery).

I also tested using the hub in Ubuntu live OS and the result was same. I could see the led turning on in hub but device was not detected.

I will try a different usb c device/cable and check if that works.

• 3. Re: USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK
              Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information and I will really appreciate if you could keep us posted after you try another USB c device/cable.

If the problem persists, I suggest you to contact support and request a replacement for the unit.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 4. Re: USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK
                Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 5. Re: USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK
                  myuser1001

I tested the usb hub with another ASUS notebook and a macbook and did not see any problem with the hub. I don't have another device or cable to test with NUC now.

Since the hub is tested as working, I can conclude it's either a NUC firmware problem or as a problem with the USB c port on the board. I can charge phone from the HUB attached to the port but NUC does not show up anything attached. I need the pc now and will check how long the local supplier will take for replacement.

Any way to find out if it's a firmware issue and the port is still intact ?

• 6. Re: USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK
                    Intel Corporation

Hello myuser1001,

In this case, I suggest you to get a replacement for the unit, if the system is up to date and the problem still persists most likely is an issue with the port, we have tested this unit several times and we don’t experience this behavior with different USB hubs but if you tested the USB hub on another system and you don’t get any issues you can contact support to get a replacement.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 7. Re: USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK
                      Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 8. Re: USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK
                        myuser1001

I need the PC and can't afford to wait for replacement, which can take weeks, if not months. I can live with the non-working usb c port.

Strangely, the same usb c hub started working today. but it looks like I can use only one device attached to HUB. If I attach a mouse and a usb flash drive , the mouse does not work. The mouse works if I unplug all and re plug the mouse in.

I suspect it may be a compatibility issue with this particular usb c hub model. I will forget about it for now and use it without the hub. I will try a few other usb c devices when possible. If nothing works, I will think of a replacement only when I won't need it for a few weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 9. Re: USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK
                          Intel Corporation

Thank you for your reply and for your understanding on this matter, in case you need to replace the unit at some point I sent you a private message with some replacement instructions.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

• 10. Re: USB C HUB not detected on NUC  NUC6i7KYK
                            N.Scott.Pearson

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a hub device that *does* work properly connected to this USB-C port? Further, has anyone found one that, in addition to being a USB 3.0/3.1 hub, also exposes the DP (as either a DP or HDMI output)? If so, does the DP/HDMI output support 60Hz?

I am using the power of my Skull Canyon for S/W development and debug and, as such, I am more interested in it supporting three 1080p monitors. 4K support is more of a curiosity; connecting the (third) monitor yet having USB 3.0/3.1 ports available is the important thing (my problem below is part of the reason).

Via MicroSATACables, I purchased both of the cables from GO-RITE that expose Skull Canyon's internal USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports (and Common I/O Header). While all four USB ports do work, these cable bundles are delicate and the USB 3.0 ports regularly do not connect as USB 3.0. Anyone had similar experience(s)?

...S