Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

laptop CPU upgrade-compatibility questions

idata
Employee

im currently using an intel centrino duo (t2250) 1.73ghz i believe its socket 479

i'd like to upgrade but i'm not sure what processors are compatible

my laptop is an HP dv6238ea

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

You should use advanced diagnostic software like Everest to make sure what bus speed is supported by the chipset.

You current CPU has 533MHz bus. Most likely it is the maximum, and you can upgrade only to Core2Duo T5300 1.73GHz

It makes sense only if you need Intel EM64T technology very much, as computing speed will be nearly the same.

If occasionally your motherboard (and chipset) supports 667 bus (less likely), you will be able to install more powerful T7200 or T7400 CPUs.

You should use advanced diagnostic software like Everest to make sure what bus speed is supported by the chipset.

You current CPU has 533MHz bus. Most likely it is the maximum, and you can upgrade only to Core2Duo T5300 1.73GHz

It makes sense only if you need Intel EM64T technology very much, as computing speed will be nearly the same.

If occasionally your motherboard (and chipset) supports 667 bus (less likely), you will be able to install more powerful T7200 or T7400 CPUs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i did find a maintenance/servicing guide for the dv6000 group, as they all use the same motherboard as far as i've found it should be fine to follow

in that t7200 was the best one mentioned (whether this means thats the max i can upgrade to or that it was the best at the time it was written i dont know) which leads me to believe that that one should be compatible

i will have a look into everest

t5300: is there anything similar (core 2 duo) of a 1.8ghz? as mentioned in my original post this is what i'm ideally looking for

Message was edited by: Emi89&# 13; &# 13; Processor Properties: &# 13; Manufacturer Intel &# 13; Version Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T2250 &# 13; External Clock 533 MHz &# 13; Maximum Clock 1730 MHz &# 13; Current Clock 1730 MHz &# 13; Type Central Processor &# 13; Voltage 1.8 V &# 13; Status Enabled &# 13; Socket Designation U2E1 &# 13;

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This does not answer your query directly but I guess it will help.

Intel hosts live chat event with their experts where people can discuss Intel products technologies. The next event will be held around their core processors. I think that it will be a good platform to ask this or any other question. The next event is on 26th March at 9:30 am GMT. More info at

http://intellivechat.com/

0 Kudos