7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2017 1:05 AM by Quaternione

Issue with Intel Management Engine Interface

Quaternione

Hi there,

I hope this is the right spot to post my problem.

I'm having a problem with my Thinkpad L412. I installed Windows 10 from scratch, no other programs or tools besides Windows 10 are installed. (The issue I'm having also occurs when I tried the same with Win 7)

When I turn off the PC by Windows> Shut down, the system shuts off and the screen becomes dark, but the PC stays on and stops reacting, the only way to turn it off is by pushing the physical button on the PC and then the PC will power off but will automatically start again and I need to push the button again to power it off and only then it will stay off.

The PC will start without issues.

I found posts that this behaviour could be caused by the Intel Management Engine Interface, which funny enough, has an yellow admiration symbol in Device Management. It also gives a message which says that the device can not be started (Code 10).

The driver 6.0.0.1179 seems to be the correct one, though. After deleting it will be reinstalled by Windows so I can not get rid of it. Lenovo also states that this is the correct driver.

I tried ideas like disconnecting battery and CMOS battery, downgrading BIOS from 1.39 to 1.35 but nothing helped.

I als tried the Intel Driver Update Utility. It suggested installing a file Intel Chipset Device Software, but that installation failed with 'unknown error'

So I'm running out of ideas and any suggestion and any help is very much appreciated!

Thinkpad L412

Intel Core i3 CPU M370 @ 2.40GHz

Windows 10 Pro x64 (Creators Update)

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver: 6.0.0.1179

Greetings from Germany

Otto

• 1. Re: Issue with Intel Management Engine Interface
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Quaternione,

I understand that when you shut the computer down the screen becomes dark, but the system keeps running.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer.  Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Please run the Intel® System Support Utility in Windows 7*.

To attach a file, you must click “Use Advanced Editor” on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the “attach” option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Let me also know if there was any type of software or hardware change before the issue started happening.

Regards,
          Fred

• 2. Re: Issue with Intel Management Engine Interface
            Quaternione

Hello Fred,

thanks for caring.

Attached is the requested file. (I created it under Windows 10, I hope this is ok - I didn't want to reinstall Win 7 just for this Report if not absolutely required.

This was a clean install of Windows 10 on a formatted hard drive with no other SW yet on the PC.

(PC wasn't used for a while, I think the issue existed also when used last time but can't be sure)

Thanks again

Q.

• 3. Re: Issue with Intel Management Engine Interface
              Intel Corporation

Hello Quaternione,

Thanks for the information you sent to me.

What happens is that the system does not seem to be compatible with Windows 10*.  I see you mentioned the issue happens as well in Windows 7*.  The best option would be reinstalling the operating system that came with the computer using the Lenovo* Recovery Discs.  If the issue happens even with the operating system that came with the computer then the issue may be hardware related.   This link will show you how to get the Lenovo* Recovery Discs https://support.lenovo.com/uu/en/solutions/ht035659

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,
              Fred

• 4. Re: Issue with Intel Management Engine Interface
                Quaternione

Hello Fred,

this answer is not satisfactory.

there are other users with the same machine working fine under Windows 10. Also Lenovo is having the same view.

Sorry to be blunt but you are  making your life very easy with responding like this. Good quality support is different...

Q.

• 5. Re: Issue with Intel Management Engine Interface
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Quaternione,

I am sorry you feel that way.  What happens is that latest Intel Management Engine driver that is available for your computer is for Windows 8*.

Since issue happens even on a supported operating system like Windows 7* then the issue might be hardware related.  The Windows 7* drivers Lenovo* provides on their website have been tested and validated to work fine in your specific laptop model.

The best option would be checking with Lenovo* if they can reproduce the issue in their lab with the exact same laptop model.  If they can reproduce the issue in their lab then they should be able to find the root cause of the problem.

Regards,
                  Fred

• 6. Re: Issue with Intel Management Engine Interface
                    Gize2

In the text file (some was in German):

"Intel(R) Management Engine Interface driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Embedded Controller (EC) has not responded within the specified time limit. This indicates an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS accesses the EC incorrectly. Ask the computer manufacturer for an updated BIOS. This error may cause the computer to run improperly in some situations."

The EC is a part of the BIOS.

Since you seem to be on the latest BIOS version, you could try:

-  Setting BIOS defaults (taking note of settings that will affect the boot process before you set defaults)

-  Resetting the Management Engine Firmware, if possible.  There is usually an option in the BIOS to reset this, sometimes there is a jumper -- it depends.

-  Disable Hybrid shutdown in Windows 10:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Shots in the dark, really.  Your issue could be a bunch of things.

• 7. Re: Issue with Intel Management Engine Interface
                      Quaternione

Thank you very much, very helpful.

The BIOS settings are at default,

there is no setting related to IMEI in the BIOS

Hybrid shutdown is disabled (BTW: the energy saving option aka standby doesn't work either)

so I will check with Lenovo to see whether there is a jumper on the board.

with the help of Lenovo support I tried a number of drivers including this one: Download Intel® Management Engine Driver (1.5M) for Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC D54250WYK/B and D34010WYK/B

Th installation went well, I was on 11.0.5.1189.

However it still gave an error message in device manager, albeit a different one:

The device could not be started (code 10)

Status Device Power Failure

Not sure this helps identifying the error.

anyway, thanks alot fo your help, I appreciate it.

Q.