1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 1:59 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC5i3MYBE DisplayPort Doesn't Work With Video Adapters

DWhitley

We embed a NUC5i3MYBE into a product, and are using a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, along with a panel mount adapter.  This setup works 100% of the time with DisplayPort, but about 10% of the time with any sort of video adapter (HDMI, DVI-D, VGA). 

There is a requirement that our product be compatible with passive video adapters, as it is sold around the world.  We have tested half a dozen passive/active video adapters to rule out the adapter being an issue.  These same adapters work on other laptops, monitors, PC's, etc.

I understand that Intel recommends a direct connection to the monitor, but in our case this isn't possible.  At one point we had a working product, but the BIOS and Windows video drivers were not recorded. Now, we have tried BIOS versions 35,36, 37, 38, 40, & 41.  We have been able to get the system to work with video adapters at the BIOS only a handful of times now.  I have read the release notes for each version, and cannot find any mention of DisplayPort outputs being altered.

On the Windows side, I have tried the build in VGA graphics drivers, as well as the following:

Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7, 8.1*, and Windows® 10* for Intel® NUC

Is there any known issue with the MiniDisplayPort outputs and adapters?  Is there a known issue with BIOS versions/settings or Windows drivers that makes an incompatible setup?  Every combination we have tried works with DisplayPort cables, but very few times will it work with a video adapter in line.  There have been instances where the system is left running for an hour, then the monitor starts working with the adapter. Restarting the system, the BIOS is displayed on the monitor, but Windows will load and break the connection.  After that, the BIOS will stop showing up on the monitor.