Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Windows 10 Creators update: Intel AC 8260 Bluetooth is gone

AHaut
Novice

After the Windows 10 Creator's Update, the Bluetooth piece of the Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I Rev 4.2 card (powered by an Intel Wireless-AC 8260 adapter) is not being detected at all (completely gone from Windows Device Manager). The wireless portion of the card works perfectly. I tried to re-seat the PCI-E x1 card, the Intel 8260 card itself, changed USB cables and ports (as the BT adapter requires a USB connection), remove drivers and reinstall them, all to no avail. This card worked flawlessly for the entire month of March and up until the Creator's update patch in early April. BT drivers are updated to their latest version 19.50.1 as found on Intel website. All other drivers are too updated - worth mention drivers were already updated at least 10 days prior to the Windows update, with zero issues found. No UEFI/BIOS changes were made since the system arrived in February 2017 and the UEFI/BIOS is the latest as provided by the manufacturer (this is a non-Gigabyte MoBo). Microsoft support, as always, is useless. I'm trying to get support via Gigabyte as they are the PCI-E card manufacturers, but maybe someone can shed some light in here. I'm happy to provide any further technical info.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AHaut
Novice

It seems I managed to recover the Bluetooth feature. The PCIE 1x adapter provided by Gigabyte has two USB ports, one uses the standard USB header connector and the other is a USB type A port. Originally I was using the USB header, however as it takes two USB ports and I'm short on USB ports (yes, I know, USB hubs are cheap), I decided to use the USB type A port, and it worked like a champ... until the Windows Creator's update. Tonight while I was poking around, I decided to give the USB header connector a try and, to my surprise, it worked.

As of now, I'll continue to work with Gigabyte on their product and to understand why the USB type A port does not work and if maybe for whatever reason, this PCIE 1x adapter got damaged, or if they can reproduce this behavior on their lab, but there seems to be all working fine in the Intel realm.

Appreciated for your time and help.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello HQuest,

We understand that the Bluetooth* component of you wireless adapter is not working after the Windows® 10 Creators update. As you already mentioned, engaging Gigabyte* Support is strongly recommended, since they are the main source of support for this adapter.

In our best effort, here are some recommendations that may help in this situation:

- Perform the following steps for a clean installation of the latest Ihttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26667/Wireless-Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-Software-for-Windows-10?product=86068 ntel® Wireless Bluetooth® Software for Windows® 10 [19.50.1]:

1. Download and save the Bluetooth* Software for Windows® 10 obtained from Gigabyte Support (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html OEM), or our generic version from Intel® Download Center.

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs, and uninstall the Intel® Wireless Bluetooth Software.

3. Check Device Manager - Bluetooth, if the Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® driver is installed, proceed to uninstall and delete it.

4. After the Bluetooth software is removed, you can install the driver you downloaded before. Reboot the PC after this.

- If the issue persists, or if the adapter is not detected, check with the motherboard manufacturer and make sure you are using the latest BIOS for it. In some cases, restoring the BIOS back to defaults may help the system to detect the Bluetooth* adapter correctly.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello HQuest,

Please let us know if there was any change after applying our recommendations, or in case you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
AHaut
Novice

Thank you Jonathan for the advice. I had done some troubleshooting with Gigabyte which was similar to your recommendations - had a spare HDD to install a fresh Windows 10 OS. The Bluetooth component of the adapter works just fine until the Creative Patch is applied - afterwards, gone completely, in the same behavior as of my live system.

Unfortunately, as stated before, I don't know if Microsoft is going to take any action for a single user - and I don't know if Intel has ever tried to run their cards on Windows' newest update. My only hopes of a fix are both via Gigabyte as the OEM and Intel as the manufacturer. Assuming you can reproduce the problem and are willing to work with them to have it corrected. What makes me less sad is the fact other Wireless+Bluetooth manufacturers are too having troubles with their Bluetooth component, so this might be actually a work in progress on Intel as well.

In the meantime, I need to go back to my old wired components.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello HQuest,

We would like to get more information from your system in order to continue researching about this issue. Please provide the following:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool, and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

Additionally, we advise you to check further with Gigabyte as well.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
AHaut
Novice

Thanks again Jonathan for your time. Gigabyte came back to me and they had a test platform of theirs, with the same OS revision, and the Bluetooth module of their card was working. Somehow, then, it is something related to my system.

Please find attached the requested SSU report.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello HQuest,

We reviewed the log you provided and in fact it does not show information about the Bluetooth* component of the adapter. Our best recommendation is to check back with Gigabyte and continue working with them. We have not received any similar reports about this.

Here are some additional recommendations for your consideration:

- Verify if Bluetooth* is disabled within Windows* Settings, and look in Device Manager for any disabled, or unknown device (USB or Bluetooth*).

- Try disabling, or uninstalling the Antivirus or Firewall and check if it helps.

- Make sure you are using updated BIOS for your Motherboard.

- Try using a different USB header in the motherboard.

- Check with Gigabyte if the adapter is properly installed, or for any further recommendations.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
AHaut
Novice

It seems I managed to recover the Bluetooth feature. The PCIE 1x adapter provided by Gigabyte has two USB ports, one uses the standard USB header connector and the other is a USB type A port. Originally I was using the USB header, however as it takes two USB ports and I'm short on USB ports (yes, I know, USB hubs are cheap), I decided to use the USB type A port, and it worked like a champ... until the Windows Creator's update. Tonight while I was poking around, I decided to give the USB header connector a try and, to my surprise, it worked.

As of now, I'll continue to work with Gigabyte on their product and to understand why the USB type A port does not work and if maybe for whatever reason, this PCIE 1x adapter got damaged, or if they can reproduce this behavior on their lab, but there seems to be all working fine in the Intel realm.

Appreciated for your time and help.
idata
Employee

Hello HQuest,

Thank you for the update. We are glad to know that your adapter is working well, this information will be very useful for other users as well.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
VVuor
Novice

While this is resolved, I'll note that I had a very similar-sounding issue with WiFi driver version 19.60.0 on my laptop (with vendor-supplied AC 8260 in native mPCIe slot) and I noticed this posting back then. I couldn't test another USB port obviously, but that particular driver version caused the Bluetooth device either to disappear completely or appear as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

19.50.1 was working fine so I just rolled back at that time. I installed 19.70.0 today and everything seems to be working. So if OP would like to switch back to the USB header connector they may want to try the latest driver. (I had Bluetooth driver version was 19.50.1.1 in every case.)

idata
Employee

Hello MainPony,

Thanks for sharing your experience, we are glad to know that the latest driver helped you resolve this issue and your system is working fine.

This will be very helpful for other users as well.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RRomm
Beginner

Although I had a similar problem it was with my Intel NUC6i5SYH. I used the Intel Driver Update Utility. This driver showed up and after trying to reinstall a few times, I choose to remove. Apparently this was the solution: the removal of a driver that was, I think, not for this system.

/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-491271-392722/pastedImage_0.png

And everything worked fine again.

My conclusion: wrong or faulty driver which was installed with windows update.

Hope this works for you too.

0 Kudos