1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 7:17 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)

RoelB

I bought a NUC 7i7 a couple of days ago.

It is hooked up to three displays.

- Display 1: DP via Club3D USB-C->DP adapter (3440x1440@60HZ)

- Display 2: HDMI (1920x1080@60Hz)

- Display 3: HDMI via Displaylink USB-HDMI converter (1920x1080@60Hz).

The system is running Win 10 pro with 16GB of memory (single 16GB SODIMM, Kingston DDR4@2133Mhz CL15) and 250GB of storage (Samsung 850 Evo M2)

The problem is that display #1 occasionally "flickers" - e.g. turns black for about a second and then returns. While this happens, audio that is output to the monitor over the DP signal is also interrupted. The frequency of this happing is quite low, about two to four times in an 8 hour working day.

The other two displays are stable.

I have investigated the issue and performed the following steps:

- Driven the monitor through DP 1.2 from another device. This is 100% stable, no hickups for an entire working day.

- Removed the Displaylink device and drivers. No change, same issue

- Swapped out the Club 3D USB-C to DP adapter for an expensive Startech Thunderbolt 3 to dual DP adapter. No change, same issue

Unfortunately, I am unable to swap the DP and HDMI displays as only one of three monitors has a DP input. The others are just HDMI and I do not have an active DP -> HDMI converter or USB-C -> HDMI converter.

When searching for this issue online, I came across another post on this forum describing exactly the same problem on the previous generation of NUC's.

NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering

Is there a solution for this issue?

• 1. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi RoelB,

I understand you are facing some flickering issues with the screen connected via USB-C to DP adapter.

Let me help you with this matter but I will need the following information to be completed.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Allan.

• 2. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
            N.Scott.Pearson

In my experience, when I have seen occasional flickering like this, it is always the dongle's fault. Replacing the dongle fixed the issue.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
              nikiangel

I also think that the problem is the club3d adapter. But if it's the problem, replacing it with the same type (another club3d) is not likely to fix your problem.

I believe that the adapter needs certain amount of current and a minimum voltage provided over the usb-c to work, and in case it drops below, the adapter starts resetting and you see flickering.

You can easily try to simulate this by plugging your phone to charge from your NUC and load your processor to 90+%, these 2 things will drain good amount of power and you can start checking for flickering.

Another solution is to buy a good monitor with USB-C.

I'm still waiting for my nuc7i7bnh, but I already have for it LG 27UD88-W. This is incredible future proof 4k monitor with USB-C input.

• 4. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                RoelB

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%): X

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel NUC 7i7BNH

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                LFP
                = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP #1: Samsung S34E790C via DP/USB-C or DP via TB3.

EFP #2: Iiyama E2407HDS via HDMI

EFP #3: Acer G245H via DVI/Displaylink (removing last screen incl displaylink drivers has no effect, issue remains)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16GB (1xKingston 9905663-008.A00G 2133Mhz/CL15)

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

#1: USB-C to DP adapter: Club3D CAC1507 + DP cable supplied with Samsung monitor (BN39-01879C)

- or -

#1: TB3 to DP adapter: Startech TB32DP2 + DP cable (same as above)

#2: HDMI high-speed cable (p/n E246588)

#3: Dell DVI cable 50.7b103.001.r + Kensington M01063 adapter

- or -

No #3 monitor and displaylink drivers removed from system.

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

information attached as requested

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Win 10 buil 15063

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

Intel Iris Plus: 21.20.16.4590

Displaylink: 8.2.1491.0 (issue also present with Displaylink drivers and device removed)

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

just using the system

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Extended

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

#1: 3440x1440@60Hz

#2: 1920x1080@60Hz

#3: 1920x1080@60Hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC using provided brick

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Use the system. No specific way to replicate. Seems to happen at random, a few times a day.
                2. Am trying to capture a video of the flicker. But it is 100% similar to the flicker in the topic that I linked to in my initial post, except that it only occurs on monitor #1 and occurs just a few times a day.

• 5. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                  RoelB

@nikiangel: my initial thought as well. That's why I already ordered a different converter (Startech TB3 -> dual DP) and tried that. But that did not solve the issue, as already stated in my original post: " - Swapped out the Club 3D USB-C to DP adapter for an expensive Startech Thunderbolt 3 to dual DP adapter. No change, same issue"

• 6. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                    RoelB

And I finally have it on video:

Btw: I did update the grahpics driver this morning as a new version is now available (4627). Last week, the version available for download was 4590.

However, that did not change anything. The issue still occurs. The video was taken after the update (and a subsequent reboot).

• 7. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                      RoelB

And another instance of the flicker captured on video, with the third screen disconnected (including the Displaylnk USB device) and displaylink drivers uninstalled. So I am 100% sure that it is not related to either the displaylink device or the third screen.

I was actually looking at the previous video frame-by-frame to see if I could see anything strange when it happened again.

• 8. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                        Intel Corporation

Hi,
                        Thank you for the report. I will review and try to replicate this matter. I will come back this thread as soon as I get any update about it.

Allan.

• 9. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                          allan_intel

Hi RoelB,

Thank you for your patience.

I tried to replicate this problem using the following components.

Intel® NUC NUC7i3BNH

Intel® NUC NUC7i7BNH

Windows® 10

Graphics driver 4627

USB Type-C to HDMI from Cable Matters

USB Type-C to DP from Cable Matters

HMDI to HDMI

HDMI to DP

DP to DP

I did get some flicker when I tried HDMI to HDMI low-quality cable but everything was OK. when I tested an Amazon High-Speed cable.

It seems to be a problem with the adapter you are using or the Intel® NUC itself.

I would recommend contacting Intel support and check warranty options for the Intel® NUC.

Allan.

• 10. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                            cbnbg

Hi Allan,

I have nearly (except for RAM module which is crucial 16GB) the same configuration like RoelB, but with only ONE 4k Monitor connected via HDMI at 60hz.

!!! Under linux (arch based distro) all is fine with HDMI, 4k and 60hz !!!

Flicker mostly means blackout for one to x seconds.

With Windows 10 pro:

30hz: no screen flicker

50hz: very few

60hz: screen flicker e.g. reproduceable when opening Windows Store app, often with Edge browser. Sometimes more, sometimes less...

Everytime opening intel graphics control panel.

I did all latest updates: bios, hdmi firmware, driver ++

Chris

• 11. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                              Intel Corporation

Hi cbnbg,

I have been testing same configuration for almost a week now using HDMI, DisplayPort cables but I did experience flickering but I tried changing the video cable for high quality cables from Amazon and cablebuilders.com and the two 4K monitors are working properly.

Tested hardware
                              HP Z27s
                              LG 55UH8500-UA

Allan.

• 12. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                                cbnbg

Hi Allan,

thanks for your reply. As I posted in another thread, I bought a certified HDMI 2.0b cable and the blackouts were very few. I also bought a USB-C (thunderbolt 3 compatible)  to HDMI  cable and the blackouts were gone. Just sometimes a few flicker, but no blackouts.

By the way we only talk about 4k, 60Hz

Finally I found a link to a new driver version in a post: 21.20.16.4664 (NOT .4627 like in driver utility!)

Now also the flickers are gone!

So I haven't been tested it with the new HDMI 2.0b cable... never touch a running system ;-)

Chris

Sorry for that mistake:

It was a USB-C (thunderbolt 3 compatible)  to HDMI cable, not a USB-C to display port ;-)

I have corrected this in my post now.

• 13. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello cbnbg,

Good information. Thank you for taking the time and update this thread.

Allan.

• 14. Re: NUC7i7 periodic screen blackout/flicker through DP1.2 (via USB-C)
                                    RoelB

As of this morning, I have also updated the graphics driver to .4664 (published last week). I haven't seen any flickering for the entire day, so I assume the issue has been fixed.

The changelog also mentions an issue with flickering:

Screen flickering may be observed when scrolling through a browser, while it is streaming a video

What troubles me is that someone from Intel actually tries to blame this on cables, two days /after/ the update has been published, with the flickering listed as a "Key issue" in the release notes for that update. What's up with communication lines within Intel? Do you actually have access to the folks developing the software (and an internal bug tracking system) or are you just as in the dark as we are? It seems that the latter might be true, and that is a bit troublesome.

1 2 Previous Next