4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2017 8:09 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC Component Peripheral Compatibility Information Out of Date

Tomel51

Am considering purchasing a 7th Gen NUC and wanted to install some of the most recent components available (960 EVO or PRO NVme SSD, 2133 Ghz RAM), but the list of tested peripherals is clearly out of date.How often does Intel update with new components available? Is there any other source for what's compatible and what isn't? Saw where some of the new SSD's have overheated and failed. Don't want to put together and purchase my optimal conflagration and find out the components are incompatible.

Suggestions?

• 1. Re: NUC Component Peripheral Compatibility Information Out of Date
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Tomel51,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

In this case, the tested peripheral is uploaded with all the components that Intel tested and validated with the Intel® NUC, the date is old because is when Intel uploaded it after that test.

All those components that you can see at the tested peripheral should work ok with the 7 generation NUC; you can also check the Vendor-Tested and Customer-Reported Peripherals for Intel® NUC Products

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: NUC Component Peripheral Compatibility Information Out of Date
            PhilipKy

Ivan,

Thanks for posting this. For those of us who are getting the new 7th generation models, it can be kind of confusing to read the compatibility charts and then make a decision. For example, displays. The chart leads you to believe that you have to have one of the specifically listed monitors but surely other well known brands will work as well.

• 3. Re: NUC Component Peripheral Compatibility Information Out of Date
              Tomel51

Thanks to both for your feedback. I’ve always had a fairly powerful desktop that I’ve replaced or upgraded every 2-3 years and which I use primarily for financial modeling. I now find myself in a position where I need to conserve space and am considering the NUC.

Maybe your or someone else can help with my decision since I would like to have comparable performance to my current system which I don’t know if I can achieve with the NUC (I would also like the system I get to be fairly quiet).

My current system is a custom  built i7-4771, Asus Z87 Pro MB, 16 Gb DDR3 1600 RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, WD Black HD and Asus GeForce GTX 650 Video Card. The system boots from power off to the lock screen in 17 seconds and from the lock screen to functional in less than 5 seconds. Double-clicking the Excel app loads it instantly.

The NUC configuration I’m considering is as follows:

NUC7i5BNH (maybe I need the i7?)

Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 16GB RAM DDR4 2133

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250 GB MZ-V6E250BW

Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5-Inch SATA III SSD MZ-75E500B/AM

Are all these pieces compatible? Anyone have an opinion on how this system will perform compared to my current system? I considered the Skull Canyon, but read about some heat and noise issues and the size of the regular NUC is a better fit for me.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Almost forgot to mention. Another configuration I'm considering is a 16 Gb or  32 Gb Optane module (when available) in the M.2 slot combined with the Samsung 850 1 Tb EVO SSD (or something better? Suggestions?) as my second drive.

• 4. Re: NUC Component Peripheral Compatibility Information Out of Date
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

You are more than welcome!

In this case, it depends on what you need the system for; the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH is a great choice since it is the most recent released product from Intel, you can see this NUC specifications here.

For the RAM, I would suggest you to choose one of the RAMs tested by Intel, you can see them here:
                System Memory for Intel® NUC Kits NUC7i[x]BN
                As PhilipKy mentioned above well known brands will work as well but since these are the ones Intel tested and they work ok with the NUC I recommend choosing one of them.

About the SSD: You can choose one of the SSDs tested and validated by Intel, you can check at the following link:
                Tested Peripherals for Intel® NUC Kits NUC7i[x]BN
                The ones you posted should work ok but we cannot guarantee it since they have not been tested, at this point I strongly recommend choosing one of the SSDs from the tested peripheral list.

Now, if you are interested in purchasing the Intel® Optane™ memory once it comes out the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH is compatible with it, but the Intel® Skull Canyon is not.

Best wishes,

Ivan.