3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 11:50 AM by Intel Corporation

Heads up - GPU tapped to accelerate AI on SQL server

TechnoCaveman

SQL Server 2017, featured at MicroSoft Data Amp conference, can tap computers NVidia GPU for AI.
      Why? Brute force AI on unstructured data. GPU can run a small set of instructions over very large data sets quickly. This helps in initial pattern spotting before trend or temporal analytics.
      In english - person wakes up drunk trying to analyze the scene (patter recognition).  Realizing the room is not really spinning they just feel that way (trend or temporal analysis) The big black think is a TV, the big wight thing is a pillow( Pattern matching) . TV and bed are theirs (context verification) and a new person is next to them (SWAT analysis - strengths, weakness, assumptions & tactics)

Source: Microsoft Adds AI Capabilities to SQL Server 2017

Developers can implement NVIDIA GPU-accelerated analytics and very sophisticated AI directly in the database server as stored procedures and gain orders of magnitude higher throughput."

Another reason a "snap on video module" might be nice for the NUC line as it allows for upgrades. I would hope computers will one day have multiple GPUs.
      Tech note: Human brain is 83 to 91 cubic inches - equivelent to a small dirt bike engine and uses only 20 Watts of energy.
      To have 40 cubic inches of SSD, memory, GPU and CPUs requires multiple units. Having it all liquid coold is possible.  Sadly, having it *all* run on 30 watts is mind numbing. That is they its been for the past 40,000 or so years

• 1. Re: Heads up - GPU tapped to accelerate AI on SQL server
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for sharing that information, we really appreciate you took the time to provide all the details above and I am sure it will be very helpful for all the peers viewing this thread. Also, I will send your suggestion about the NUC having a "snap on video module"  and multiple GPUs to the proper department for them to be aware of your comments.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto

• 2. Re: Heads up - GPU tapped to accelerate AI on SQL server
            TechnoCaveman

Alberto,

Most welcome. It was a bit off topic, but when MicroSoft offers a new feature in one of their products lots of people start to use it.  SQL 2017 express (10 Gb DB limit) can be downloaded and used for free. SQL 2017 fully functional can be used for six moths. Both programs run on home PCs (Win, Linux, Mac).

IoT and Social are big sources of unstructured data that A.I. is suppose to help us handle. I doubt it will be used for games. SQL server seems better suited for stock trades and social analysis than gaming.

Enjoy,

• 3. Re: Heads up - GPU tapped to accelerate AI on SQL server
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much once again for posting those comments for all the peers in our communities to be able to see them. Just to let you know I already sent your feedback to the proper department for them to take it under consideration.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto

1 of 1 people found this helpful