2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2017 6:09 PM by Intel Corporation

Regarding Processor architecture

SujitPandey

Hi,

We are looking at procuring Oracle SE2 edition, but it has some limitations on hardware. It can run on max of two socket with no restriction on cores but on processor count.So, to get a fair idea of the parameters of processor, before we acquire hardware from Intel,I have few questions. There are my assumptions which may be wrong. Please correct them if they are wrong-

1. When we talk about sockets, its basically on the motherboard. My assumption is one socket can hold at the most one processor which in turn can have multiple cores on it. But when i google to get information, i found the link - AMD does an Italian job on Intel, unveils 32-core, 64-thread 'Naples' CPU • The Register which is 32 Naples core processor with total of two CPUs. So, as per my assumption as it is built on two socket , the max processor it can support is two and it turn the total cores should be 64. But in the link it says, total cores are 128. Please let me know where is my understanding going wrong.

2. When we say 2 threads per core, the number of OS threads that the processor can run at any time is 2 threads. So, if the total core is say 64 then the maximum number of threads that can execute is 128. Please correct me if I am wrong.

3. When we talk about processor frequency, say 2.4 GHz, Are the cores in it run at the same frequency as the processor or they are shared with the processor.

4. There are various other parameters of processors. Is there any knowledgebase article to understand from end user point of view to arrive at a informed decision rather than just from the cores count. It would be good if we can get processor architecture information like bus speed and cache.

Thanks,

Sujit

• 1. Re: Regarding Processor architecture
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities.

In regard to that link, remember that is a 3rd party link, the information in there is not officially validated by Intel, so we cannot confirm it is correct. Besides that it is also related to AMD and there is no information in our documents about those processors. The processor’s information we support is strictly for Intel units.

I can see on that link, that the processor showing is the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2699A v4, on the link below you will be able to confirm that it supports a dual socket configuration, please check “Max CPU Configuration”:
          http://ark.intel.com/products/96899/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699A-v4-55M-Cache-2_40-GHz

If the processor supports Hyper-Threading Technology and it has 64 cores, then the operating system will see 64 physical cores and 128 logical cores. The Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2699A v4 has 22 cores, so if you use 2 of them, the you will have 44 cores, but the operating system will detect 88 cores as shown in the picture, so you are right in assuming that if the total cores is 64 then the maximum number of threads that can execute is 128.

In regard to your question about how the frequency works it and the knowledgebase article, the following link is for the technical product specification for that processor’s family, in there you will find additional details about how the processor works, normally the frequency is shared between the cores that are active, so depending on the work load and tasks the processor is handling, the active cores can be just 1 or 2, and based on that is how the frequency will be shared:
          http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-e5-v4-datasheet-vol-1.html
          http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-e5-v4-datasheet-vol-2.html

Any further questions, please let me know. 

Regards,
          Alberto

• 2. Re: Regarding Processor architecture
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
            Alberto